Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
Sounds absolutely horrible, not that you asked.......
My initial reaction as well. As evidenced by how far apart we are on travel expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
International should be out of the picture entirely. The family with budgetary concerns doesn't even have passports. That's $110 per adult, $80 per kid. Plus photos. That's a chunk of change before they walk out the door for documents they will probably never use again.

And they've never flown before? I think it's rather insensitive to think that people that have NEVER flown before will be mentally comfortable with an overseas and/or 8+ hour flight.

And I agree that MIL or somebody needs to foot the bill for the family with budget issues. It may well be that their limited budget is stretched just to cover housing, food and transportation. If that's even close to accurate, your MIL is pretty darn selfish by expecting them to join up for a family vacation. It's probably impossible for them to even financially consider it.

So everyone here thinks it's fair or normal for mom to pay for one kid's family to vacation but not the other? Plus cater all the vacation planning to his family? We're trying to find a middle ground.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:35 AM

129 posts, read 82,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
International should be out of the picture entirely. The family with budgetary concerns doesn't even have passports. That's $110 per adult, $80 per kid. Plus photos. That's a chunk of change before they walk out the door for documents they will probably never use again.

And they've never flown before? I think it's rather insensitive to think that people that have NEVER flown before will be mentally comfortable with an overseas and/or 8+ hour flight.

And I agree that MIL or somebody needs to foot the bill for the family with budget issues. It may well be that their limited budget is stretched just to cover housing, food and transportation. If that's even close to accurate, your MIL is pretty darn selfish by expecting them to join up for a family vacation. It's probably impossible for them to even financially consider it.

All of this, plus how much vacation time does each adult have, and can everyone schedule it the same time period, and do they want to spend possibly the ONLY vacation time they have available.... with extended family at a destination they didn't choose?

With school-age kids, you almost have to do this in the summer - not the fall. If anyone in my family suggested a trip like this I would laugh until they hauled me off to the funny farm. Unless your extended family has taken trips like this recently, I can't imagine it will go well. If Family 1 can't really afford a trip, and Family 2 has already been "everywhere", and Family 3 can only get approved vacation time the third week of August, and Family 4 agrees to go but the kid breaks his leg a week before the trip (and Families 1, 2 and 3 still expects them to pay their share of the vacation house even though the doctor will NOT allow the kid to fly).... Well, I just don't see how everyone will be happy by the end of the vacation.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Buy a used 'beater' motorhome. (or Skoolie)

Write a book (or movie) about your 'adventure'.

Old 05-01-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Buy a used 'beater' motorhome. (or Skoolie)

Write a book (or movie) about your 'adventure'.
Ok, Mr. Kerouac.

Old 05-01-2019, 02:38 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
It's a shame your family has already turned up their noses at a cruise.

We did an extended family vacation several years ago and it literally had something for everyone.

Also, cruises can be very reasonable.

Our ages for 2 years to 82 years old and there were 30 of us.

Plus we didn't have to worry about cooking, or picking out restaurants.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:12 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
So everyone here thinks it's fair or normal for mom to pay for one kid's family to vacation but not the other? Plus cater all the vacation planning to his family? We're trying to find a middle ground.
How long are you looking at? That would seem to be an awfully tight budget.

It is quite common here for families to do something like that but the parent is generally expected to pay. When DH was having a significant birthday the kids were digging whether we would be taking them to Thailand or to Fiji, as some of friends shouted theirs. With young kids though the interests can be totally different. DH does not like swimming, which is the big interest for little kids. He plays golf which does not interest the rest of the family. In the end, we decided not to do anything. Too much money for too many people to be bored.

I suppose Hawaii is too far, too expensive for you? Would be easy culturally. And is such a beautiful place.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:36 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:

I should have been more clear. No, I think MIL should pay for everybody. BUT those that can afford to take this trip could quietly tell her that you'll pay for it yourself.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:37 PM

10,355 posts, read 7,986,475 times
Quote:
Trying to find a middle ground is great, but if push comes to shove and a middle ground cannot be found, what is the priority? Getting the entire family together to celebrate MIL's 60th birthday, or going off on an exotic (and potentially expensive) vacation to a place your family and your in-laws have never seen before?

Knowing the answer to that question may hep with the planning. The sad reality is that even a cheap international vacation can be expensive compared to a domestic trip, as driving to get there is not an option (Canada and Mexico excepted). If the priority is getting everyone together, a domestic destination that BIL's family can drive to may be the only affordable option.

Old 05-01-2019, 04:39 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
It's a shame your family has already turned up their noses at a cruise.

We did an extended family vacation several years ago and it literally had something for everyone.

Also, cruises can be very reasonable.

Our ages for 2 years to 82 years old and there were 30 of us.

Plus we didn't have to worry about cooking, or picking out restaurants.
I agree. No passports required. One inside cabin for mom, dad and two kids. Five days. That would be pretty affordable - until you add in the cost of airplane tickets to get to the port.

But it was the OP and her husband who refuse to consider a cruise.

Quote:
Hubby and I and our kids are up for anything anywhere. Except the only suggestions offered of a cruise and Disney. Two things we want absolutely nothing to do with.
(PS I agree with you about Disney - and it's too expensive.)

What YOU don't seem to get is that Five thousand bucks is a lot of money to A LOT of people. I can't believe that the family who has no budget is gonna put that kind of money together. And it would be far better spent on their 401k or an emergency fund to cover the next appliance that breaks down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel