Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2019, 04:48 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
NYC … … and departing the restaurant was a lesson in safety there, as in they won't let you leave the restaurant on your own. They see you from the door to the cab they've hailed so that you're OK in the neighborhood. Not my kind of place to live at or want to visit, thank you.

Peter Luger Steak House is a steakhouse located in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, New York City. Williamsburg used to be an iffy place. Unfortunately, it is becoming gentrified.

How odd to go there when Manhattan has great steakhouses like Keens Steakhouse (which is historical too), Gallagher's Steak House (used to be a speakeasy) and Delmonico's Kitchen (another historical place).

With so many options, why keep eating at the same restaurant or same cuisine? Paris' food has it all over NYC's or London's

Last edited by YorktownGal; 05-03-2019 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2019, 05:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I am truly, as we are called, a "spoiled American" and proud of it.
This made me giggle. I've often told my husband this exact same thing. Where do we get our t-shirts?

Old 05-03-2019, 05:55 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Peter Luger Steak House is a steakhouse located in the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn, New York City. Williamsburg used to be an iffy place. Unfortunately, it is becoming gentrified.

How odd to go there when Manhattan has great steakhouses like Keens Steakhouse (which is historical too), Gallagher's Steak House (used to be a speakeasy) and Delmonico's Kitchen (another historical place).

With so many options, why keep eating at the same restaurant or same cuisine? Paris' food has it all over NYC's or London's
Choice of the "fine dining" restaurants while I was working in NYC was not mine to make. I was "wined and dined" on a local's corporation's expense account by several different people and they all chose PL's as the place to meet. It wasn't my place to suggest the meeting location as I wasn't their contact, merely a research assistant to the outfit I was working for. Even if I'd known about the other Manhattan "great steakhouses", it would have been way out of line for me to make any comment or suggestion of where we were going for these dinner meetings.

I wouldn't have known the neighborhoods from each other. Williamsburg was an "iffy" enough place that the restaurant staff there made a big deal about not allowing us to exit the premises until they could be assured that we were going to make it from the front door to the cab they'd called for us.

As far as "fine dining" at PL's … frankly, I serve a better steak at home from my own grass fed naturally raised free-ranged Dexter steers. Raised on our native grass pastures and our own grown alfalfa from day 1 until they head to the USDA processor for 30 days dry aging and then cutting/cryovac packaging.

Old 05-03-2019, 06:22 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I know an adventerous traveling young woman, currently living in Germany. She told me Paris sucks.

At any rate, I think my priorities are more along the Glacier National Park line. Can't afford to do nature and cities. Nature wins.
Yes, of course many people prefer natural attractions and things like that. I enjoyed many of them myself.

But what I’m pointing out is that if you want to experience the pinnacle of modern human civilization, then these three cities embody it to the max.

You want the best? You got the best! That is all I’m saying.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:02 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Choice of the "fine dining" restaurants while I was working in NYC was not mine to make. I was "wined and dined" on a local's corporation's expense account by several different people and they all chose PL's as the place to meet. It wasn't my place to suggest the meeting location as I wasn't their contact, merely a research assistant to the outfit I was working for. Even if I'd known about the other Manhattan "great steakhouses", it would have been way out of line for me to make any comment or suggestion of where we were going for these dinner meetings.
I was sure it wasn't your choice. You're right about not making any comment or suggest.

It's funny you had dinner several times at the same restaurant in a "iffy" area.

If you come back, try Keen's.

Old 05-03-2019, 07:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I detest everything about these cities. Why would I go? The population alone makes me want to drop the idea immediately. We have enough people from NYC down here in NC that I can ask them anything I want to know. London? You mean the overpriced bullpen with the new sanctuaries where the police aren't allowed to go? Or you mean Paris, the pickpocket capital of the world, with the big tower to distract you from the smells of fresh (and stale) micturition overpowering any wafts from the whimsical bakery you might want to visit?

Give me NC, SC, GA, FL and I'll make the best of it. Plenty of mountains, trails, scenic byways, beach, farm, cities with big shopping and free parking lots...
That's funny since my family lives in SC and I drove through there a couple times recently....the rest stops and other places we stopped at were extremely dirty and smelled like....well, Paris in the olden days on a hot summer day.

Somewhat the same with parts of NC until we got far enough out of the cities. I detest the Southern Cities...but maybe it's just me.

Now, if you are talking the Blue Ridge or Skyline Drive or that type of place......that's another story.

We winter in FL and the crime rate, homeless population, etc (even in a wealthy area) is vastly higher than where we live in New England. Motor vehicle and pedestrian deaths are among the highest in the nation and the poverty takes my breath away (I do volunteer work or I would never have run into it).

I understand not loving the Big City. I've been to NYC only about 4 times in the last 30 years.....even though I used to live 2 hours away. But it was fun going for a night.....by train...just for a event or convention, etc.

London...I did like. The gardens and parks and churches........

Hey, no one mentioned Copenhagen. Or Amsterdam. At least in those places one gets around by bike and there are lots of green spaces and most everything is low-rise.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:23 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
There, I said it. If you haven’t been, then don’t think about it at all. Just go, at least once in your life.

Make sure your account balance is fat. You won’t be disappointed.
Been to all three, 2 of 3 multiple times. Paris was a one and done for me.

Cool trip: take the high speed train from London to Paris
https://www.raileurope.com/train/eurostar-7514

Old 05-04-2019, 06:31 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,455,924 times
Only London really makes this list for me.

Yes Paris can be charming but it is mostly just irritating and expensive for travelers these days. I much prefer Lyon, Nice, Toulouse, etc. And the airport is enough to destroy my Paris visits.

New York is the most overrated city on the planet in my opinion. And that is just my opinion. But I avoid it as much as I humanly can.

Should people at least be exposed to all three places? Sure. Are there better places to spend your travel time? Absolutely.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:49 AM

2 funny stories, one mine, one a friends:

My buddy went to Italy on his honeymoon. He married a British woman and he is an Italian from NJ. He certainly has his stereotypical Italian from NJ moments but is actually a very cultured guy. So they are eating in a small restaurant in Italy. There is a big dish in the middle of the table, he put oil in the bowl and used it to dip bread into. Nobody said a word throughout dinner. As he gets up to leave he realizes that that dish is meant to be an ashtray! He laughs about that story, the short marriage not so much!

Paris: I had a creepy uncle that was a world traveler for a fortune 500 company. So my sister was living in London and we decided to go visit. Creepy uncle happens to be in Paris so he pulled the "come to Paris and I will take you to the best places" move. He was a food guy (always cooked gross things like duck, kids never want to eat that stuff) and made everyone believe that he was fluent in French (we don't speak it so we took his word for it).

So we are at a place for dinner, he is telling stories nobody cares about and the waitress comes over to take our order. She speaks English with a heavy accent but we will get this done no problem. Creepy uncle starts ordering in French in Paris to a local. She attempts to talk to him then finally blurts out in English: "Sir I don't understand you, can you just order in English!" My sister and I instantly realize he was bluffing about his "fluency in French" and he went on to over explain that it must have been a dialect issue or some other BS.

The other memorable thing: shopping district, the arch area and it starts pouring. Heavy hard rain, people are fleeing to stores/businesses to get out of the rain. I attempt to buy an umbrella, the clerk is literally changing the prices as fast as she could (doubling them 35 francs to 70). I laughed and said I would rather get wet. F... France!

Old 05-04-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Only London really makes this list for me.

Yes Paris can be charming but it is mostly just irritating and expensive for travelers these days. I much prefer Lyon, Nice, Toulouse, etc. And the airport is enough to destroy my Paris visits.

New York is the most overrated city on the planet in my opinion. And that is just my opinion. But I avoid it as much as I humanly can.

Should people at least be exposed to all three places? Sure. Are there better places to spend your travel time? Absolutely.
NYC is fine. It has its touristy areas, tourist trap restaurants but it has energy of a place that is always going. The 9/11 memorial, fountains is a weird place. I understand the tragedy but for the money they have spent and the amount of people that go there it just seems odd.

One world trade observatory was cool but not worth $40 a head but the elevator ride was a great concept in design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel