Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

While the OP and her daughter are at the Broadway show, I suggest that her husband and son visit the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum.
https://www.intrepidmuseum.org/?gcli...SAAEgJlhPD_BwE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2019, 09:58 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,849,725 times
Having been there many times, a surprise, wonderful activity was a boat ride around Manhattan. Then you'll be near by the 9-11 museum.

Do the kids have any ideas? Statue of Liberty? Horse carriage around Central Park? Empire State?

So much to do.....guessing art museums etc are not quite right for them but maybe the Natural History Museum? Up near Central Park...

Have fun...lucky you.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,499,246 times
Why aren't the guys going to a musical? I hope it's not because they think musicals are for girls. They're missing out! There's so much out there that any music lover could enjoy. It doesn't have to be Phantom of the Opera or My Fair Lady. (I won't suggest Hamilton b/c I know tickets are ridiculous)

Guys LOVE Book of Mormon (written by the same duo who created South Park). Beetlejuice is a new show that should be really funny. And I challenge anyone who claims to not like musicals to sit through Come From Away and not leave the show dancing! It's a true story, and really renews your faith in humanity.

Harry Potter isn't a musical, and it's one that a lot of teens would enjoy, but it's two shows in one day, so it may eat up too much of your day in the city.

And I don't know much about it, but there's an off-Broadway show that is a musical parody of Big Bang Theory.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:38 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
I would also suggest, OP do you have your broadway tix yet? if you're flexible and don't care what you see, wait on line @ TKTS for same day discounted tickets.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:04 PM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I would also suggest, OP do you have your broadway tix yet? if you're flexible and don't care what you see, wait on line @ TKTS for same day discounted tickets.
My friends swear by TKTS.

Old 05-10-2019, 07:06 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OMG--the Moroccan Lentil Soup...

Plus I will give Pret A Manger their props because at the end of the day, all of their leftover food goes to City Harvest, which collects food from restaurants and grocery stores and distributes it into needy areas.
The spinach mac & cheese and the spinach/tomato mac & cheese is equally as good.

Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
You say they are older teens, right? Why ask strangers who know nothing about the interests your kids have instead of asking your kids? Ask them to do some research and each, independently, give you and their father a short list of things they'd like to do with one or two things highlighted as "must sees." I suggest they should do this independently to see if anything shows up on both lists and maybe after preparing separate lists they should corroborate before giving you the results.

I see nothing in any of the suggestions above that would be universally attractive to all teens and see a few that would be excruciating for some. I also saw not one sporting event suggestion. In August on any given day there will probably be a Mets or Yankees game in New York and on the weekends the Jets and Giants will be playing pre-season games. Not saying they would work for your kids either but might be a consideration...if they show up on their list. Even if it's not your favorite.

Old 05-11-2019, 06:43 AM

937 posts, read 743,541 times
I was in NYC recently for a week with my teen daughter and some of the highlights of our trip were riding around on the Grey Line Hop On Hop Off bus tour, night Brooklyn bus tour, eating at the Plaza Hotel- lounge/bar in hotel and sweet shops in lower level of hotel, 'The Waitress' musical which was light and entertaining, and The Met. I found the show tickets on Today Tix for a good price. Also, we did a pilgrimage across Central Park from our hotel to a bakery and coffee shop over in the Upper East Side.

Last edited by Chloe333; 05-11-2019 at 07:06 AM..

Old 05-11-2019, 07:31 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
You say they are older teens, right? Why ask strangers who know nothing about the interests your kids have instead of asking your kids? Ask them to do some research and each, independently, give you and their father a short list of things they'd like to do with one or two things highlighted as "must sees." I suggest they should do this independently to see if anything shows up on both lists and maybe after preparing separate lists they should corroborate before giving you the results.

I see nothing in any of the suggestions above that would be universally attractive to all teens and see a few that would be excruciating for some. I also saw not one sporting event suggestion. In August on any given day there will probably be a Mets or Yankees game in New York and on the weekends the Jets and Giants will be playing pre-season games. Not saying they would work for your kids either but might be a consideration...if they show up on their list. Even if it's not your favorite.
Maybe they aren’t into sports. I love baseball but sitting at a ball field in August heat sounds miserable.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 AM

7,334 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Maybe they aren’t into sports. I love baseball but sitting at a ball field in August heat sounds miserable.
Citi Field (METS) is gorgerous! The food selection is good and very pricey. The problem is it is nowhere close to Manhattan and a long ride on the #7 train. Yankee Stadium is closer but not as nice. It's a full day event - waiting in line to be searched for admission and then baseball can be a long day. If it rains, you are out of luck. A rain ticket for a future date isn't going to help you.

As someone else said, we don't know the ages or likes of these kids. However, suggestions don't hurt anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel