Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 02:34 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times

Advertisements

I’ve been to Australia twice on business and did a 3 week ski trip to the South Island. Those flights were all business class. The NZ trip on frequent flyer points. I’d go back to New Zealand any time but I’m not going to do it in an economy seat. Business class is off budget so I’m unlikely to get there again.

My Australia was all east coast. Sydney, Melbourne, Hunter Valley, diving on the Great Barrier Reef, some golf. I like New Zealand a lot better than the parts of Australia I got to. If I’m going to shell out $10k for a couple of business class tickets to halfway around the world, there are other places higher on my list than going back to see more of Australia.

I take the Boston-London morning flight to Heathrow so I don’t have to overnight in an economy seat. There’s no way to get to Asia/Australia without that overnight flight and my life is too short to ever do it in a coach seat again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 10:03 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
If I’m going to shell out $10k for a couple of business class tickets to halfway around the world, there are other places higher on my list than going back to see more of Australia.
If I was spending that much money on plane tickets, then I would never be able to see most of the things I have seen in the world.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:44 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,101,529 times
Australia isn't my first choice. Asian, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong.

Or Galapagos Islands.

Australia would probably be in my top ten.

Old 05-29-2019, 05:53 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,149,139 times
Staying in an over-the-water hut in Tahiti or Bora Bora for two or three weeks would be living the dream for me...

Old 05-29-2019, 11:52 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,306,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
Australia is a retirement place option for Americans. They will take care of your healthcare paid for by Australian workforce.
You have got to be kidding! Unless you have millions to invest.

Old 05-30-2019, 06:24 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If I was spending that much money on plane tickets, then I would never be able to see most of the things I have seen in the world.
After all the years of road warrior, I won’t do a 12+ hour flight in an economy seat. My life is too short to suffer through red eyes in a 32” seat pitch coach seat. I’ve done lots of Asia, Australia, and New Zealand trips on expense report flying business class. I can get to Europe and South America on day flights so I do that. Im fine in an economy aisle seat for 8 hours if I don’t have to sleep. I’m OK with not getting to Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan.... again.

I can get to Europe cheaper than I can get to the West Coast. When it’s not peak tourist season, the British Airways and Virgin Atlantic day flights from Boston to Heathrow are cheap. Looking at my iPhone application BA is about $350 round trip in October if I’m not using frequent flyer points. Eurostar through the tunnel is inexpensive done far in advance. I’m 61. I figure I have 15 more years of travel. I’ll just stick with Europe and a few South America trips.

Old 05-30-2019, 07:47 AM

27,557 posts, read 28,647,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
After all the years of road warrior, I won’t do a 12+ hour flight in an economy seat. My life is too short to suffer through red eyes in a 32” seat pitch coach seat. I’ve done lots of Asia, Australia, and New Zealand trips on expense report flying business class. I can get to Europe and South America on day flights so I do that. Im fine in an economy aisle seat for 8 hours if I don’t have to sleep. I’m OK with not getting to Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, Japan.... again.

I can get to Europe cheaper than I can get to the West Coast. When it’s not peak tourist season, the British Airways and Virgin Atlantic day flights from Boston to Heathrow are cheap. Looking at my iPhone application BA is about $350 round trip in October if I’m not using frequent flyer points. Eurostar through the tunnel is inexpensive done far in advance. I’m 61. I figure I have 15 more years of travel. I’ll just stick with Europe and a few South America trips.
I can understand that. I have been on very long flights in coach and I agree that it is not that comfortable to fly like that for so many hours. If I could shell out the money, then I would travel first class all the time on those flights.

But as a practical matter, you have to make the decision on whether you want to see a lot of places and be a little uncomfortable getting there or see a lot fewer places and travel in luxury. I prefer to save on the flight and spend more money after I reach my destination.

Of course, if you are rich enough then you just don’t worry about these things.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:28 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I did Australia and New Zealand, one week each, back in 1989, and I have zilch desire to ever return to Australia. I drove a rental car from Brisbane to Sydney to Canberra and Melbourne. I'll take South America with the Andes Mountains over Australia any day.
Lol, you "did" Australia, the 6th largest country in the world, in a week And you spent your week on the highway.

No, you didn't do Australia.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:39 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,521,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
my son was there a few months ago and said that Melbourne, at least, was just like the cities in the USA. So while I'd like to go, it isnt' at the tippy-top of my list.
I reckon your son is correct. There really isn't meaningful differences between our cities and those in the States. When foreign friends of mine travel here I recommend spending as little time in our cities as possible, the natural wonders are what you should spend your time and money on if you are coming over.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times
I would probably say New Zealand, an Antarctic Cruise, or a 1 month+ road trip along US 2 (from Upstate Michigan to Washington State) would be my choices if time and money didn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel