Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 11:39 AM

6,456 posts, read 3,977,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Do you need to take the bags out of your carry on and put them in the bins? I know I done it before it can’t remember if you have to. One time I had a large bottle of sunscreen lotion in my purse that I forgot about. Much larger than 3 oz and not in a zip lock bag. Nobody noticed or said anything to me.
Yes, but I've forgotten to do it before and it's never been mentioned (and there might have been once I forgot and put it at the very bottom of a large rucksack and didn't feel like digging it out and just hoped they wouldn't say anything... jerk move but it did work out). I also tend to forget about things like gel-type lip gloss in my makeup bag, and then later I unpack and remember it was in there, but even stuff like that counts so I try to remember to put it in the bag as well. Usually I try to make sure the ziploc bag is at the top of my carryon so it's easy to pull out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 02:16 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Peel the paper wrapping off of dynamite, and dump the gutta percha and nitro into a baggie. Put the blasting cap in a makeup tube. Walk on by.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#2b99a5fd2a38

Old 05-19-2019, 03:56 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Peel the paper wrapping off of dynamite, and dump the gutta percha and nitro into a baggie. Put the blasting cap in a makeup tube. Walk on by.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#2b99a5fd2a38
Received a visit from the FBI yet?

Old 05-19-2019, 11:54 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,681,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Received a visit from the FBI yet?
Paranoid much?

Old 05-20-2019, 01:25 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,896,554 times
Helpful and fully legal hint: Carry an empty water bottle in your carry-on, then fill it at the water fountain after you clear security.

Saves buying overpriced bottled water in an airport shop, too.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:21 AM

61,705 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Timely question. We are traveling with friends who are only taking carryon and backpack. They are going for 3 weeks. I was trying to understand the toiletries part because 3 oz of shampoo or something may not be enough for 3 weeks. I wonder if they are assuming that most hotels will provide. We did find that generally in Europe they did provide some toiletries but not the way they do it in the US where I usually end up taking home their samples!
Well I am certain that for our 2 weeks we will be taking some checked luggage as well so no issue for moi.
When I go somewhere for weeks to months - I just buy that stuff there. It doesn't cost much, and the quality is most likely better...

Old 05-20-2019, 09:15 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Do you need to take the bags out of your carry on and put them in the bins? I know I done it before it can’t remember if you have to. One time I had a large bottle of sunscreen lotion in my purse that I forgot about. Much larger than 3 oz and not in a zip lock bag. Nobody noticed or said anything to me.
I always take mine out unless I'm TSA Pre-check. I even have a separate gallon bag of all my electronic "spaghetti"- chargers, cords, adapters, etc. that I put in a bin because I've had a few delays while they pulled my carry-on aside to go through the contents. Not part of the rules at all, but in Zurich they actually thanked me for doing that. My feeling is that anything that might be a concern is best put out in the bin so they can see it rather than having to follow up after seeing a shadowy X-ray image.

As for the sunscreen- yeah, they miss stuff. DH had a cigarette lighter in his toiletry bag (back when they were confiscating them) for a few years before it was found by the TSA.

To get back to the OP- I agree that they probably don't match number of baggies per person as much as number of baggies per carry-on so they might miss a second one but I wouldn't count in it and would make sure that anything valuable that you DON'T want confiscated could fit in a single bag.

Old 05-20-2019, 02:40 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
I've had back luck in other countries where they will make you throw it away (in particular Mexico) on your return back.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:02 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
With TSA Pre, nobody is going to know if you have a quart zip lock in both carry-on bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel