Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 10:10 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:

4) Christmas markets
Not the tacky / trinket ones... but... the local craftsmen / artisan / regional 'collectible' markets.
Very interesting and high quality (and prices). Nothing like a USA mall selling cheap Chinese useless items to very hurried and non-purposed shoppers.

https://www.europeanbestdestinations...stmas-markets/
https://www.cntraveler.com/gallery/b...kets-in-europe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 01:58 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
I spent a fair amount of time in Perth, Australia, back in the 1990s, and to my surprise, I had to hail a bus at a bus stop, much as you would a taxi. Huh?

My Australian hosts explained that the local bus stop was served by three routes. Let's call them the Number 45, the Number 54, and the Number 63. Only the number 54 would get me where I wanted to go. So when the Number 45 or Number 63 went by, I stood back in the bus shelter. When I saw the Number 54 coming, I'd stand out and wave, in order to flag the bus down. End result: the passengers on the numbers 45 and 63 weren't delayed by the bus stopping for me, only for me to say, "Actually, I'm waiting for the Number 54."

An efficient system, especially when multiple routes served the same stop.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post

Legal systems NOT based on a British precedent law which is cumbersome, expensive, unfair and unjust
The US System has it's historical roots based in English Common Law (and other European and Historical Law) as well as concepts such as Magna Carta and Habeas Corpus, as for precedent it is merely previous legal decisions being referred to in order to clarify the law.

The modern US Judicial System is very different to the English Judicial system, in terms of both the criminal laws, civil law and the court system.

Origins of American Law | Boundless Political Science - Lumen Learning

Old 05-22-2019, 03:42 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,455,286 times
In terms of the US, it has a lot of vast space in many states, fairly cheap quality housing, beautiful national parks, beaches and amazing geographical sites, whilst there is a sense of freedom in the US.

In terns of cities NYC has a unique 24/7 culture, whilst the US media and film industry is world famous, and film locations can be found throughout the US and especially in many US Cities.

Theme parks and tourist attractions are also often on a vast and impressive scale, and there is a diversity of very good local food in the US.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-22-2019 at 04:09 AM..

Old 05-22-2019, 03:58 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Do you really not know? It's a crack down against public sex.
So nobody has public sex in other countries? I don't get why it's some problem that must be addressed in USA with big gaps in doors, but nowhere else. Also = they are often that way in office buildings, I'm skeptical that's an ongoing problem during the workday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Less packaging= less garbage ( especially plastic)

Safe food without man made chemicals and harmful dyes, flavorings, etc
I'm not sure where there is a big difference between my home country USA and most foreign countries. Fast food still comes in containers, convenience stores still give away disposable forks/spoons/chopsticks, some places limit plastic bags and some don't just like USA.

Whether a chemical is man-made tells us absolutely nothing about whether it's harmful, and again I'm not sure it's something significantly more prevalent in USA than others.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:04 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I spent a fair amount of time in Perth, Australia, back in the 1990s, and to my surprise, I had to hail a bus at a bus stop, much as you would a taxi. Huh?

My Australian hosts explained that the local bus stop was served by three routes. Let's call them the Number 45, the Number 54, and the Number 63. Only the number 54 would get me where I wanted to go. So when the Number 45 or Number 63 went by, I stood back in the bus shelter. When I saw the Number 54 coming, I'd stand out and wave, in order to flag the bus down. End result: the passengers on the numbers 45 and 63 weren't delayed by the bus stopping for me, only for me to say, "Actually, I'm waiting for the Number 54."

An efficient system, especially when multiple routes served the same stop.
Hmmm I thought that's how buses work everywhere when a stop serves multiple routes, including USA.

If the bus has passengers that have rung for disembark it'll stop, otherwise you have to wave 'em down. They slow down and you can see driver looking at you to see if you need a stop, but they don't usually just stop if someone is at the stop if no indication has been given that rider wants on. Hell sometimes there are people just congregating/sitting at bus stops to hang out or get the free shade.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:29 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,410,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Hmmm I thought that's how buses work everywhere when a stop serves multiple routes, including USA.

If the bus has passengers that have rung for disembark it'll stop, otherwise you have to wave 'em down. They slow down and you can see driver looking at you to see if you need a stop, but they don't usually just stop if someone is at the stop if no indication has been given that rider wants on. Hell sometimes there are people just congregating/sitting at bus stops to hang out or get the free shade.
I'm originally from Toronto. If the driver sees you anywhere near the stop, he or he will stop, whether or not you want him or her to. You have to say, "Thanks, but I'm waiting for the Yonge 97A," or similar.

If you put your hand up at, say, Yonge and Lawrence, to hail a bus; you'll have six taxis pulling over to get your business. I speak from experience. You do not hail buses in Toronto--you'll just get a half-a-dozen taxis.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:54 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Fast internet.
Very high speed trains. Unlikely to see them here.
Extremely frequent suburban trains. Which have been promised here in Sydney and hopefully will be delivered.
Restaurants open past 9pm. Something that used to be common here but we have increasingly swung to a Day culture.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:13 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Central American Chicken Buses! I loved riding them down there, so much fun, and they're like shopping centers on wheels. Vendors always hopping on and off, during your voyage, trying to get you to buy everything and anything. Sure wish they allowed vendors on our buses in the U.S., as, perhaps, it might get more people to ride the buses.

Old 05-22-2019, 05:41 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
An affordable, expansive, and efficient high-speed train system. When I was in China it was amazing how good their high-speed trains were and how cheap the tickets were. In comparison, Acela is slow and way overpriced for what it is. Sigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel