Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 02:51 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
What country are you from that you don't have that?
I'm not the one who posted that, but I'll answer. I live in a large city in the US. Sure, we have food carts in pods all over the city, but what we don't have are several whole bustling, crowded streets that are alive with many different street food vendors, especially at night. Not all countries have them but for sure most Asian countries do and many other places that I know of (Mexico, Costa Rica). And there may be places right here in the states (NYC, Miami, LA) that have them but they aren't as common in other cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 11:00 PM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I'm not the one who posted that, but I'll answer. I live in a large city in the US. Sure, we have food carts in pods all over the city, but what we don't have are several whole bustling, crowded streets that are alive with many different street food vendors, especially at night. Not all countries have them but for sure most Asian countries do and many other places that I know of (Mexico, Costa Rica). And there may be places right here in the states (NYC, Miami, LA) that have them but they aren't as common in other cities.
OK, thanks for the clarification. I see what you mean.

NYC has them during the day, some at night near transportation facilities and entertainment venues.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:32 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Things you see traveling you wish they had in your country.

• Better public transportation, bus & trains
  • Better healthcare & pharmacies for everyone
  • Better internet services
  • Good original specialty food restaurants
  • Seemed to be less crime in other countries
  • Cleaner city public parks, beaches and National parks

Old 06-01-2019, 03:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
People who train their dogs better. In much of Europe, you’ll never have a dog lunge or snap at you like you do so often in the States. The dogs are both well-behaved and have the body language that says they are very happy pups who love going everywhere with their people.

A UK-style right to roam responsibly across private land. This is in contrast to some messy beach access rights debates in Florida right now

Old 06-03-2019, 03:22 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Wallabys like in Australia.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Wondering exactly what they are and how they are different from the markets that set up in the US just for Christmas.
I've only been to the one in Philadelphia. It was pretty much like the one I went to in Germany, but that one had a carnival ride.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:54 AM

88,576 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I've only been to the one in Philadelphia. It was pretty much like the one I went to in Germany, but that one had a carnival ride.
New York city always has several. The one in Union Square is pretty amazing. Usually have one in lower Manhattan, too.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:54 AM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
In the Netherlands they have a single card which can be used on all public transportation - buses, intra-city trains and trams, and inter-city trains. You touch the card to a reader on the bus or train, and it automatically deducts the price of the trip. Locals can refill the card online from their bank account; tourists can do it at a number of convenient offices. It makes getting around really simple and easy! I wish we had something like that.
NYC Metro Card can be used on subways and buses. It is refillable with credit cards/debit cards too.

I still miss the old tokens.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 06-04-2019 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
So nobody has public sex in other countries? I don't get why it's some problem that must be addressed in USA with big gaps in doors, but nowhere else. Also = they are often that way in office buildings, I'm skeptical that's an ongoing problem during the workday.
It's because bigger gaps mean cheaper to make and easier to install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Whether a chemical is man-made tells us absolutely nothing about whether it's harmful, and again I'm not sure it's something significantly more prevalent in USA than others.
It's the GMO issue. Europeans don't allow GMO and the USA is flooded with them

Old 06-04-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Wallabys like in Australia.
A couple of years ago, my husband was driving and a creature passes by our car. It was nighttime so we didn't get a clear view. We couldn't figure it out. It wasn't a deer or bear, it was a wallaby!

https://dailyvoice.com/new-york/nort...-again/698340/

Must be fun to see them during daylight in their natural environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel