Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:52 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times

Advertisements

just so you know if you travel by train in italy-beware of strikes and no a/c--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
just so you know if you travel by train in italy-beware of strikes and no a/c--
NO A/C? - Shock, horror!

Not American, by any chance...? LOL

Old 04-14-2008, 07:55 PM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,629 times
Buy a eurorail in Vienna WESTBANHOFF. It is cheaper than on the internet. You can than travel pretty much anywhere than.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:18 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
NO A/C? - Shock, horror!

Not American, by any chance...? LOL
italian american--that info was for the americans who think everything in other countires has to be the way it is here--

Old 04-14-2008, 10:46 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
Thanks for the advice you guys! It's a big help! Anyone know the average rate for a hostel?

Old 04-14-2008, 11:10 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,027 times
It was years ago but we went from Paris- Barcelona- Madrid- Algeciras (then boat to Morocco)- Nice- Venice- Milan- across the Swiss Alps to Mannheim, Germany- Brussels- London. All by train with a Eurailpass over a 6 week period.
Just wonderful! Can't wait to do Europe again by train. Read, eat in the dining car, look out the window, talk and sleep in a couchette (train bedroom). And train stations are usually right in the middle of town (unlike airports). Lovely!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Thanks for the advice you guys! It's a big help! Anyone know the average rate for a hostel?
It can vary quite a bit according to location and the hostel itself.
Big cities like London or Paris can cost more, ditto anywhere in Scandinavia.
It is not unheard of to find a bed in London for 10-15 euros nightly, but the average is probably double that.

I think we paid about 20 euros per person at Le Village in Paris a couple years ago, it's probably a few euros more these days. But often you get a breakfast (a meager one) with that. Add internet access and baggage storage and it's a pretty good deal when compared to fancypants hotels. But not all hostels are the same and the way to research them is word of mouth or a good guidebook.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:29 PM

145 posts, read 655,778 times
Ryanair flight tickets are usually cheap, but do be aware that usually the taxes are far more than the ticket price (but still ends up being quite cheap). I used this airline to fly from Frankfurt to Montpellier a few summers ago. It was only $34 for one-way ticket. Catch: had to take an hour and a half long bus ride (I am NOT exaggerating) from Frankfurt city out to smaller airport Ryanair uses. This cost an additional 12€ (one-way). You are not allowed much as far as baggage weight, either, so keep that in mind, too. Other than that, just the usual airline fun (kids kicking seats, etc lol). They do offer great deals, but be very, very careful to get ALL the info before you buy a ticket!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,716,248 times
So what is a good amount of money to bring to Europe for a 2-3 week trip if flights and trains are already paid?

Here's a rough draft what I've figured, if you can think of other expenses please tell me. Per day:

Hostel: 40
Food/Drinks: 60
Laundry: 10
Souvenirs: 20
Toilettries: 10
Others: 60

Total Per Day: 200 Euros
Total For 2 Weeks: 2800 Euros
Total For 3 Weeks: 4200 Euros

Old 04-16-2008, 01:41 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,228,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
So what is a good amount of money to bring to Europe for a 2-3 week trip if flights and trains are already paid?

Here's a rough draft what I've figured, if you can think of other expenses please tell me. Per day:

Hostel: 40
Food/Drinks: 60
Laundry: 10
Souvenirs: 20
Toilettries: 10
Others: 60

Total Per Day: 200 Euros
Total For 2 Weeks: 2800 Euros
Total For 3 Weeks: 4200 Euros

Danny

Do yourself a favor and get a Lets Go Europe. It is written by Harvard STUDENTS on a budget. It will outline all your cots and provide addresses and phone numbers. If you are only doing England, Amsterdam and France and not constantly on the move, the Eurail might be a waste of money. There used to be a Eurail Youth Pass for 26 and under. I think these passes do not allow you on the Eurostar.

The trick with Ryanair is that you do not fly out of the major airport AND if you are overweight on your luggage you are busted a big fee. You must check in 45 min before or the desk is closed. It can cost you 30 bucks to get to a different airport. Also that 3 Euros does not include the 3 Euros plus in taxes and fees. Still not a bad deal. I flew my family of four from Rome to London (Stanstead) return (1€ or free) which ended up about 200 bucks for the flight. Still 50 bucks roundtrip per person is great.

You should be able to do better than 40€ on your hostel. Funny, I just booked the Doubletree in Philadelphia yesterday for three nights in July on Priceline for 65 bucks a night.

60 Euros for food is quite generous. If you are on a budget, many meals can be had at the grocery store. In Nice you have the Vietnamese who have come in that sell tasty Vietnamese sandwiches for 2 or 3 Euros.

Things in Europe have used to be a third the price in the States. That has reversed so that things here cost perhaps as much as double. Gas is not 9 bucks a gallon. Plan well. A mistake used to make a cute story. Now it costs a hundred bucks and ain't so cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel