Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 06:32 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,976,389 times

Advertisements

Relax! Planes don’t fly through thunderstorms, they fly around them. And turbulence can happen at any time, even in a clear blue sky. It’s more annoying than dangerous, as long as you keep your seat belt fastened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 06:43 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
No, it's not dangerous to fly in storms. (Though as the other poster pointed out, they generally try to go around storms when possible) You may have turbulence, but turbulence isn't dangerous unless you don't have your seatbelt on.

There's nothing to be worried about. Tens of thousands of flights take off and land safely around the country every day, in all sorts of weather.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:07 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
If you don't have a bag, then you just need to check in on your phone 24 hours in advance, get your boarding pass on your phone, and walk to security. Just make sure you know what can/can't go through security so you don't slow down fellow passengers in line.

Two hours (1.5, assuming your flight boards 30 minutes before) is overly cautious to go through security and get to your gate, imo, but that's not a bad thing. If you don't fly often and have any nerves about it, it's better to eliminate stress where you can.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:19 AM

538 posts, read 385,393 times
Thanks. I booked on Expedia but downloaded the United app. The confirmation # and my name isn’t coming up on the all but I’m assuming it’s because it was through Expedia? The flight is listed since it’s on Friday. Will it only let me check in tomorrow which is 24 hours before? If I picked my seats on Expedia do I need to do it again? So I don’t have to go to the kiosk and print out anything if I don’t have a bag. Just have it on my phone?

Old 06-05-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Thanks. I booked on Expedia but downloaded the United app. The confirmation # and my name isn’t coming up on the all but I’m assuming it’s because it was through Expedia? The flight is listed since it’s on Friday. Will it only let me check in tomorrow which is 24 hours before? If I picked my seats on Expedia do I need to do it again? So I don’t have to go to the kiosk and print out anything if I don’t have a bag. Just have it on my phone?
The confirmation number and name should have yielded a reservation on the United app as soon as it was booked, even if booked through Expedia. You may want to call United to make sure your itinerary is booked, and to find out why you aren't able to pull up the reservation on the app.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Are you sure the flight itself is on United and not a codeshare partner? If it's truly a flight operated by United, your e-ticket should show up on the United app.

Also, next time, do yourself a favor and book directly through the airline instead of a third party....

Old 06-05-2019, 08:34 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
What you need to see your reservation on United’s web site is not the receipt from Expedia but the six digit alphanumeric number that’s called the record locator or PNR (Passenger Name Record) that you’re suppose to get when the ticket is properly issued.

Re: delays. They should always be regarded as dynamic rather then static and the airline will often try to reduce a possible delay when possible. So if a 7:00 flight is delayed to 10:00, don’t assume it will stay that way, leave the gate area and only show back up at 9:20. The airline will be trying to get the day’s schedule back on track and may figure out a way to keep the delay to a 8:30 departure instead and you don’t want to miss that revised (again) departure time

Old 06-05-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
What you need to see your reservation on United’s web site is not the receipt from Expedia but the six digit alphanumeric number that’s called the record locator or PNR (Passenger Name Record) that you’re suppose to get when the ticket is properly issued.

Re: delays. They should always be regarded as dynamic rather then static and the airline will often try to reduce a possible delay when possible. So if a 7:00 flight is delayed to 10:00, don’t assume it will stay that way, leave the gate area and only show back up at 9:20. The airline will be trying to get the day’s schedule back on track and may figure out a way to keep the delay to a 8:30 departure instead and you don’t want to miss that revised (again) departure time
Both excellent points.

OP, make sure you're using the correct number to pull your reservation on the United app. It's not the Itinerary #, not the Expedia.com Booking ID, not the E-Ticket # (never realized how many numbers are on that page!!) On your Expedia itinerary page, it should be toward the top right and it will say "United XXXXXX". The Xs are usually 6 letters and/or numbers.

Old 06-05-2019, 08:59 AM

538 posts, read 385,393 times
Thanks. I found the 6 digit code and pulled up the flight. There isn’t a check in option though. You have to wait until 24 hours before?
Also coming back it’s a 737 but going there it’s a Canadair Regional Jet 20 - 50 seat operated by Skywest DBA United express. Do you feel more turbulence on a small plane? I hate take off. Is it scarier in a smaller plane? My friend said she went on one of these from United that was even smaller and the inside seemed really old and part of the window shade near them was coming apart.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:00 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I would always rather sit in an airport cafe with a beverage, than be stuck in traffic 5 miles outside the airport, with my plance getting ready to board. What is half an hour anyhow, just go early & have coffee or breakfast. I know airport food can be expensive, but think of it as part of your vacation.
Or you can be cost conscious and bring breakfast with you to eat at the airport. We've brought bagels (bought the day before traveling) with butter or cream cheese already spread on them, and some hard boiled eggs, and then buy coffee or tea once you are near the gate.

But the reality is you can be sitting around your house, worrying whether there will be traffic or some issue at the airport that makes you run late, or you can be relaxing at the airport, not having the worry about being there in time. I vote for the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel