Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 06:59 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Your proposed solution is nonsensical, as the percentage of carryon space allotted each passenger would change from aircraft to aircraft, and passengers would have no way to know in advance exactly what size carryon they’d be permitted to take on each flight (especially since equipment swaps might occur.). It’s completely unworkable.

And you blamed passengers for the situation in post #35: “...but the people from row 36 have too much stuff...”

Easier for the airlines to just charge a hefty fee for carryons, to encourage more cost-conscious passengers to check a bag. It was the checked-bag fees which started the whole mess.
Then how did they figure out one universal bag size that fits on small planes? If a larger bag will fit on a 747 than a CRJ, then in your book they're either under-filling the bins on the 747 or over-filling the ones on the CRJ, and apparently you think this is efficient. Clearly, in the latter case, it isn't.

[quote=Aredhel;55491868]
And you blamed passengers for the situation in post #35: “...but the people from row 36 have too much stuff...”
/QUOTE]
Yes, I did. You exceed the limits, you have too much stuff. That hasn't got anything to do with airline policies, just with them not enforcing same (again, if the limits were reasonable and enforced, this wouldn't be a problem). And yes, it is the fault of the passengers for knowingly exceeding the limits.

Funny enough, I've never been asked to gate-check my carry-on, probably because what I carry is of a reasonable size to fit into the bins on any plane I've ever been on, rather than one of those huge roller suitcases. And it still holds plenty of stuff.

There are a lot of reasons for not checking a bag, which you seem to be missing. Besides the fees, there's also the fact that you don't have to stand in line for baggage check or claim, don't have to worry about your luggage being damaged or robbed or lost (all of the preceding being quite valid concerns, especially these days), and sometimes you simply don't need to take enough to fill a suitcase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 07:23 AM

1,347 posts, read 944,510 times
This is probably an odd one... I hate it when the hotel TV remote does not have a sleep timer option. I use the TV to drown out noise from the hall/adjacent room when I am trying to fall asleep.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:53 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Then how did they figure out one universal bag size that fits on small planes? If a larger bag will fit on a 747 than a CRJ, then in your book they're either under-filling the bins on the 747 or over-filling the ones on the CRJ, and apparently you think this is efficient. Clearly, in the latter case, it isn't.
They don't fit in all planes. The bin on the one seat side of an Embraer 135/145 has a space roughly the size of a loaf of bread. And it's common for the regional partner airlines to have a 'rulebook' that mandates gate checking all rolling bags regardless of size on their smallest planes.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:56 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,774,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Back in the 70s, Minnesota state parks charged higher fees to campeers and visitors with out-of-state plates.
Throughout the U.S. every state for fishing licenses charges more to out of state residents compared to local residents.

Old 06-24-2019, 08:02 AM

746 posts, read 837,904 times
If you are going to just stand in place on a escalator or moving walkway, please please please stand to one side. Thank you

Old 06-24-2019, 08:29 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
They don't fit in all planes. The bin on the one seat side of an Embraer 135/145 has a space roughly the size of a loaf of bread. And it's common for the regional partner airlines to have a 'rulebook' that mandates gate checking all rolling bags regardless of size on their smallest planes.

I've experienced that many times and actually find it a nice convenience to not have to drag a bag onto the plane, stuff it somewhere, then drag it off. Easier to just leave it at the waiting gate and get it back on arrival.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:03 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
People flying on CRJs know in advance they will have to valet gate-check their large carryon. They are allowed to bring it, they will just have to have it tagged and drop it off at the jetbridge; it will be returned to them on the jetbridge when the flight lands. They are told that before boarding begins and given the tag before they start to board, and it applies to everyone (regardless of their status with the airline on the number of their boarding group). It's efficient enough (and far preferable to actually having to check the bag).

The problems you have been complaining about have nothing to do with that, but rather with the fact that most passengers (who are infrequent flyers, and are therefore almost always in one of the last boarding groups) DON'K know that the bins on a standard-sized aircraft (not a CRJ) will be full by the time the last one or two boarding groups will be boarding, and aren't prepared for the reality that they will have to gate-check their bag.

Quote:
Yes, I did. You exceed the limits, you have too much stuff. That hasn't got anything to do with airline policies, just with them not enforcing same (again, if the limits were reasonable and enforced, this wouldn't be a problem). And yes, it is the fault of the passengers for knowingly exceeding the limits.
No passenger who limits himself to one underseat item and one bag no larger than 22"x14"x9" is "knowingly exceeding the limits" or 'bringing too much stuff."

Quote:
Funny enough, I've never been asked to gate-check my carry-on, probably because what I carry is of a reasonable size to fit into the bins on any plane I've ever been on, rather than one of those huge roller suitcases. And it still holds plenty of stuff.

There are a lot of reasons for not checking a bag, which you seem to be missing. Besides the fees, there's also the fact that you don't have to stand in line for baggage check or claim, don't have to worry about your luggage being damaged or robbed or lost (all of the preceding being quite valid concerns, especially these days), and sometimes you simply don't need to take enough to fill a suitcase.
No, I am not missing those reasons AT ALL. I almost never check a bag, for just those reasons. But I also know that most people can't travel for more than 2-3 days without needing either a carryon larger than an underseat item or a checked bag. I've traveled for over 3 weeks out of my favorite 22"14"x9" carryon (which has no wheels or rigid frame and weighs about 14 lbs fully packed). And that carryon is almost never gate-checked. But it's too large to fit under a seat, and I usually need that underseat space for my camera gear in any case.

The last thing most travelers would want is for carryon size to be limited to what will fit in the bin of the very smallest CRJ simply to ensure that no one will ever have to gate-check a bag. That is NOT an improvement over the current situation.

Old 06-24-2019, 10:11 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Yep. Heck, I've had to gate-check my Osprey Porter 46 on a CRJ once or twice, and I've heard of people flying with Red Oxx Air Bosses having to do that as well. Those are not large bags! They fit in the sizer handily. The smallest CRJs have very little space for any carryons, whatever their size, and 1/3 of the seats on those planes are on the side that has no true overhead bin at all. So we're back to the same problem: 1/3 of passengers won't have any spot in a bin to place a carryon (and unless they are frequent flyers, they may not know that).

This poster doesn't know enough about airline configuration to understand why his original idea (different carryon size limits for different planes) is so impractical. Limiting everyone's second item to what will fit in the bread-box bin on the single-seat side of an Embraer 135 is hardly a workable idea.

Old 06-24-2019, 12:46 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
I was just at MIA Miami International Airport again. Apparently English is a second language there. Even the English announcements are hard to understand.
Person at Budget car rental only spoke Spanish.

Thought Miami was part of the United States?

Old 06-24-2019, 12:54 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
Entitled people. I once flew next to a guy who had ordered a vegetarian meal, but when he saw that the offered regular entree, included a salmon dinner, he proceeded to throw a fit becasue he did not want his ordered meal, he wanted the salmon, The stewart had to explain it was not a restaurant, & they could not change his meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel