Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 05:50 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,689,627 times

Advertisements

Curious as to what some of you all get annoyed by. Might make me realize how petty some of the things I get annoyed by.

One thing I noticed recently while flying. We were running behind and I had a connection to make which I knew would likely be at an airport that would require me to go underground to another area of the airport (Detroit). If I miss the connecting flight I'm sleeping at the airport.

I get on the plane and I'm sitting down. A guy across from me gets up and takes something out of his over head & while he's up people are beginning to just stand in the isle waiting for him to sit back down. I realize he grabs a book.

Then. Probably 5 minutes later when the passengers are still getting on he gets up AGAIN and holds up everybody. This time he takes out headphones from his bag. I was so very close to telling him he needs to sit down so people can get by. I even noticed the bag that he had he could have easily put it under the seat in front of him which.

Wasn't long after that when the flight attendant gave the message about moving out of the isle and letting people get by so we can get on our way.

Another thing is when people bring very large carry on's that probably should be checked or at least left at the gate to go under. But they bring it on the plane and are one of the last ones. Only to be opening up overheads that are already closed and try to start moving stuff around when 99% of the time they'll never find a spot. Only to take it back up to the front.

Last thing I can understand sometimes because if you're not used to flying you really might not be aware of the availability.

But yea the first one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 06:39 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
I've seen some pretty big carry-ons-- those rolling suitcases annoy me. But, whatever. But, yes, put your bag in the bin as quickly as possible and sit down. If you need something from your bag, remove it before you board, or wait until everyone is seated.

What got me one time though was a couple putting their coats in the overhead bin. It was a regional flight; the bins weren't very large to begin with. Luckily, there was no one later who couldn't find space, or I absolutely would have told them to hold their coats as the rest of us were doing.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I've seen some pretty big carry-ons-- those rolling suitcases annoy me. But, whatever. But, yes, put your bag in the bin as quickly as possible and sit down. If you need something from your bag, remove it before you board, or wait until everyone is seated.

What got me one time though was a couple putting their coats in the overhead bin. It was a regional flight; the bins weren't very large to begin with. Luckily, there was no one later who couldn't find space, or I absolutely would have told them to hold their coats as the rest of us were doing.

Coats thing sticks out too. People always put there luggage in the over head. Then they have to take off there coat and set it in so smoothly.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:19 PM

2,869 posts, read 1,148,568 times
Personally, I'm annoyed that the airlines are STILL not loading the plane from back to front, and also insisting that the passengers stow their luggage in their seat vicinity, either above or below the seat in front of them; passengers should not be allowed to store their luggage in overhead in Row 5 when their seat is located in Row 35.

I am also annoyed that people schlep everything but the kitchen sink onboard. It just delays the process. Perhaps if the airlines wised up and rolled the costs of baggage (both carry-on and checked) into the ticket price, this nonsense would stop. (Or not)...

Old 06-19-2019, 07:26 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldPuss View Post
Personally, I'm annoyed that the airlines are STILL not loading the plane from back to front, and also insisting that the passengers stow their luggage in their seat vicinity, either above or below the seat in front of them; passengers should not be allowed to store their luggage in overhead in Row 5 when their seat is located in Row 35.
I've never understood why they don't board from back to front--it would make boarding go so much more smoothly since the people boarding in back would not have to wait in the aisles for the people in front to put their stuff away and would make things more efficient.

Of course that might make sense, lol

Old 06-19-2019, 07:40 PM

I would agree about boarding back to front first. The only reason I'm not in favor of that is they'd have to do something about luggage first. I'd be pissed if I paid more for a ticket & had no where to put my luggage.

But honestly when I have an assigned seat. I'm not in a hurry to get on if I know I'm just putting my lap top bag under the seat. Less time I'm sitting down the better.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:51 PM

61,652 posts, read 87,023,434 times
The whole new airtravel concept. Ugh...

Old 06-19-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The whole new airtravel concept. Ugh...

Like what? I've only been flying steadily since 2014

Old 06-19-2019, 08:23 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,969,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I would agree about boarding back to front first. The only reason I'm not in favor of that is they'd have to do something about luggage first. I'd be pissed if I paid more for a ticket & had no where to put my luggage.

But honestly when I have an assigned seat. I'm not in a hurry to get on if I know I'm just putting my lap top bag under the seat. Less time I'm sitting down the better.
Might be easier if they'd measure overhead compartments, figure out how much space each seat should get, and *that* is the carry-on limit... then we wouldn't have an issue with people not being able to put their carry-on in the bin above their seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Like what? I've only been flying steadily since 2014
Nickel-and-diming people, essentially. That causes many of these issues, from people more likely to travel with only a (giant) carry-on to avoid checked-bag fees (though there are other reasons to do this as well) and planes loading in haphazard manners because they got people to pay extra for certain seats and the ability to board first (usually those closer to the front, which kills back-to-front boarding)...

Old 06-20-2019, 02:25 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,206,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Might be easier if they'd measure overhead compartments, figure out how much space each seat should get, and *that* is the carry-on limit... then we wouldn't have an issue with people not being able to put their carry-on in the bin above their seat.
Give every passenger an equal allotment, and I can sell the space I don't use to another passenger.. Highest bidder. If I'm lucky, I can fly free.

Wait, here's a better idea. If yo're annoyed, juat pay me to be annoyed, while you enjoy the serenity. Next to a fidgety baby? I'll change seats with you, fifty bucks.

Last edited by cebuan; 06-20-2019 at 02:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel