Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2019, 07:22 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times

Advertisements

Has anyone here ever been on a tour both here(US) and Europe that caters to people that can not walk distances or use scooters or wheelchairs? Wife wants to travel but I am not willing to go on a regular tour again. Last trip to France and Spain was not great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 09:20 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
I haven’t been on any such tours, but I know Road Scholar offers some tours geared toward the less mobile. You might check their offerings out.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
You can also look into river cruises. Many of them will have a 'slower walkers' option for their daily excursions or in many ports, you're close enough to the center of town you can explore on your own.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:25 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,999,956 times
For the last five years of his life, my husband was a "wheelchair driver." Before he became disabled, we traveled together a lot, but of course our traveling habits had to change quite a bit once he had to use the wheelchair fulltime.

Europe is very difficult for a person with limited mobility. Cobblestone streets, curbs and stairs, old buildings with narrow doorways and tiny bathrooms. River cruises are nice, but it's very hard for a person with limited mobility to manage getting around the cities where the cruise boats stop.

We found that ocean cruises -- on SOME ships, not all, not even all ships that advertise themselves as being accessible -- were the easiest way for us to travel with him in his wheelchair. However, the ports of call may not be very accessible. We took one shore excursion in the Caribbean that was advertised as being accessible, with stops at several popular tourist attractions. They came to pick us up at the port in a van that
they wheeled my husband up into, and fastened down his wheelchair so it wouldn't move around as the van traveled around the island. The problem was that although the van was wheelchair-accessible, none of the stops on the tour were. So my husband just had to stay in the van the whole time while I got out and toured whatever attraction we were at.

There are companies that specialize in accessible travel -- just Google that phrase and you'll find lots of sites to read. But you'll need to be very diligent about your research to make sure all the details will work for you.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:31 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
We have reached the point where it is not worth the hassle. We are mid 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel