Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 10:56 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times

Advertisements

I remember travel agencies were on pretty much every corner. Getting plane tickets hotel reservations was a close held secret. You could shop around but it was exhausting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 11:31 AM

8,489 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
I think security checks began around 1970. It was done at the boarding gate. The stewardess would hold your Swiss army knife, and hand it back when you landed.
I traveled extensively in the 60’s internationally when in the military mostly on commercial carriers when I was on embassy duty going places where there was usually no military transportation available. There was absolutely no security at all.

On a Pan Am flight from Tan Son Nhut in Saigon to San Francisco I was permitted to board with an unloaded SKS semi auto rifle. Taking it home as a souvenir. This was a regular flight and not a charter carrying military personnel. Several times through Europe carrying a loaded handgun in baggage. Things have changed.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:35 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
In the 60s in Frommers $5/day Europe, it was never a problem even in mid-summer. Just get off the train, walk across the street, check in to a hotel with bathroom down the hall. Ready to move on, walk back over to the station, check the board for the hourly train to your next destination, buy a ticket with cash from a multilingual clerk, and get on.
Did the same thing in 1969. Europe on $5 a day was our bible! We (two female recent college grads) hitchhiked all over Europe and never had any trouble. Stayed in youth hostels and cheap hotels all over Europe, usually for around $8 a night.

And, referring back to your original post, we stayed on Af Chapman, the boat in the harbor in Stockholm. Great memories.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:14 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,211,939 times
I always got to know the travel agents in towns I lived in. They were neat guys to sit and shoot the bull with.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:25 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Those hand written airline tix were great, they were essentially legal tender and could be used at any airline, something that a lot of people were not aware of. It is actually kind of too bad that electronic tickets have done away with that option.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:57 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
I traveled to and worked in the Netherlands in 1988. Luckily, there were friends on similar jobs for questions, we used dialup email services and the rest was via travel guides. I had a company calling card for phone calls home and mail was fairly dependable. I remember entering the country in Amsterdam and they wanted some paperwork for my Kaypro 2000 - to insure I didn’t sell it there. Poor, naive me said, “Why would I sell it? I just purchased it.” They let me through out of pity I’m sure. Lol

I was back in the same town, Haarlem, with my wife in April. We went to Luxembourg and Brussels. Man, having a smart phone along was a real game-changer!

Old 07-01-2019, 06:58 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
For the most part we did things through travel agencies. Or, for flights, there were these thick books with small writing that listed flights.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-02-2019, 05:58 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,270,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
For the most part we did things through travel agencies. Or, for flights, there were these thick books with small writing that listed flights.
The OAG- Official Airlines Guide mentioned earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Those hand written airline tix were great, they were essentially legal tender and could be used at any airline, something that a lot of people were not aware of. It is actually kind of too bad that electronic tickets have done away with that option.
Ah the good old days. If you missed a connection on Airline A you just walked over to the desk of Airline B and got THEIR flight if they had open seats. Now there's something called ule 120 and I THINK that's supposed to be possible if you're flying one of the legacy airlines, but I've never seen it used. They'd rather put you on one of their flights even if it's tomorrow AM.

One other memory: flight insurance. You could buy it at a counter at the airport, fill in the form and it would be mailed to the beneficiary you named. It was pretty cheap.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:32 AM

5 posts, read 2,636 times
Lol.....I was primarily hooked by the first by the title of this particular thread. I can't just imagine what travelling and its processing that time would look like.

Travelling is gonna be very boring except if you are reading a book or engage in discussion with someone.

Travelling processing too might be tough. Not sure if there would be online platforms for registering passport details or Every things is probably gonna be done manually....lol
Special apreciations to platforms like hotels.ng/guides/categores/visa and other sites in travel/tourism niche that can not only help you with information regarding visa.

Old 07-02-2019, 09:28 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
There were these massive hotel books that I used to book hotels.

For airline tickets I just called and called.

Lots of road trips.

My girlfriend tossed bags for the airlines for flight priviledges so I flew buddy pass non-rev with her.

Write to the chamber of commerce to get put on the hotels mailing lists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel