Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 08:45 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

^^

Me too, I can speak it beautifully, but to listen to it takes a special ear which I don't have. Interesting, that when I've had a couple stiff drinks I can ramble on in Spanish the entire night. Stone sober? Oh shoot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 07:15 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Does that mean you can't understand yourself when you speak? Like it would be interesting go on a bender than speak Spanish into a recorder. Next day see if you can understand it.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:56 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Maybe this nailed it. Americans, and others, think of travel as "the big destinations". Rather than as an exploratory adventure into a new unknown horizon.. And the tourism market is sold as such.
There are lots of places I want to see in South America. I went on a cruise down the Amazon as a teen and it was fantastic. I would like to see Macchu Picchu and Peru, as well as Patagonia. Colombia is also really becoming a tourist destination these days. I think part of the issue is that in Europe and many parts of Asia, you can DIY and get yourself around pretty easily via public transport or even driving in certain parts of Europe, but in South America, it is much harder to get around independently. It is also harder to access many of the destinations.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:25 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
One of the problems I ran into in both Central and South America, back in the 2000's, is not every city has a central bus station. Guatemala City as well. What you'll find are satellite bus stations, where one station serve one part of the country or one city, and another serves some place else. But once you know that, you're on your way. I did all my traveling via buses in South America. Quito's bus station is centralized.

Old 07-07-2019, 05:48 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So, so many American foreign travelers, I've talked to, seem to head for Europe first, then it's off to Asia, and then, it's South America, or not at all. And, not surprisingly, it's the major tourist mecca, Machu Picchu/Cuzco that they go to first in South America.
Actually I got to South America before Africa (Botswana & South Africa) and the Far East (China & Hong Kong).

Old 07-07-2019, 12:40 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
For one thing, the air fares are higher than Europe and Asia. And most people to to more-developed countries first, until they feel more confident on their own.

My order was Europe, South America, West Asia, Africa, East Asia, Australia.
Yes air fare is killer. Twenty years ago I used to enjoy traveling to Brazil. Still love the place and would love to go back but now airline prices are almost double compared to Asia or Europe so I stopped going.

Too bad. I miss Ipanema Beach....

Old 07-07-2019, 01:47 PM

27,568 posts, read 28,673,621 times
If you haven't seen either continent, then where would you go - South America or Europe?

It is all about priorities.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:59 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,795,253 times
For me the reason SA will end up being last is that I haven't found a travel deal that fit into my schedule. At this point, it looks like next year would be the earliest I could go.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:25 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,610,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So, so many American foreign travelers, I've talked to, seem to head for Europe first, then it's off to Asia, and then, it's South America, or not at all. And, not surprisingly, it's the major tourist mecca, Machu Picchu/Cuzco that they go to first in South America.
That's me... Europe was the stuff of storybook tales, WWII & countless movies I had absorbed as a child. When I got older the exoticism of The East beckoned with the same power with names like Siam, Malaysia, Burma... Points south of here weren't on my radar hardly at all & even now I have no trips planned at all. I've been to Buenos Aires & Santiago for work though & was thoroughly impressed.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:33 PM

18 posts, read 9,530 times
Due to being generally less safer, visa requirements, less spoken English, more expensive & not that many non-stop flights. Europe also offer more history, diversity and closer & easier as well as safer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel