Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 11:22 AM

65 posts, read 50,128 times

Advertisements

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 12:56 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,074,570 times
Family member did many of the things you are wont to see on a trip to that area. They stayed outside the Park at Air BnB's the whole way. Lodged in a Tee-Pee one night, stayed on a sheep ranch another night. Each visit was fine, and entertainingly interesting. Full "facilities" with no problems, as well as informative local hosts who gave them the local lay of the land to avoid crowds/traffic etc.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:35 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,286,399 times
Going to the Sun > Yellowstone over Labor day. I'd hit Glacier at St. Mary's, Logan pass, and relax in Kalispell or Whitefish and on through Libby, Sandpoint, Coeur d'Lane, Spokane and out that route.

As other posters have said, Yellowstone is going to be a madhouse.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:35 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
If you're taking 90 I'd recommend staying at Chico. I'm sure it's booked solid but you can always try to get on the wait list. Or even stay in an airbnb nearby and get a day pass to the resort.

https://www.chicohotsprings.com/

You could also visit Livingston (down the road), Ennis, Virginia City, and Nevada city.

I agree with everyone else that Yellowstone will be a nightmare over Labor Day weekend. I'd recommend Glacier over Yellowstone any time of year though.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:56 PM

35,038 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
DW and I will be driving from Minnesota to Seattle in late August and wanted to stop and see Yellowstone. I was hoping to rent a cabin but they are full. Unfortunately we will be going through right at the start of Labor Day weekend.

My question: Is it possible to stay outside the park and drive in daily to see stuff? Any recommendations where to stay? We won't be camping. But don't mind cooking our meals.

How much time would you take in the park?

What else do you recommend between MN and WA. I was thinking of Little Big Horn. What else? We like nature, bird-watching in particular. Glacier Park sounds interesting but perhaps a bit out of the way.

We have six-seven days to to the drive.
Yellowstone is a very big park. I think its about 60 miles by 40 miles. Since you are driving from Minnesota to Seattle, I will assume you are driving north of the park on I-90. I believe this route takes you through Bozeman, Montana. From Bozeman, you can drive south to Gardiner, Montana which is at the north entrance to the park. You might try get lodging around Gardiner and drive into the park. Labor Day, of course, is an incredibly busy time at Yellowstone. Lodging is going to be expensive and difficult to find anywhere near any entrance to the park. You might check and see if there is a KOA somewhere around Gardiner with camping cabins. This is not a good time to try and see Yellowstone, but that's about the best advice available.

As far as other things to see go, the forest country in western Montana is quite scenic. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Little Big Horn is interesting from a historical POV. However, the site itself is rather barren. I had no desire to spend more than about an hour there.
I concur. Try Grand Teton slightly south of Yellowstone or Glacier National Park.

Old 07-01-2019, 03:17 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,176,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I concur. Try Grand Teton slightly south of Yellowstone or Glacier National Park.
Ha! I was just coming back to say the same thing. Glacier will be busy as well. I've never experienced crowding in Teton and it's one of my favorite places. Simply gorgeous.

Old 07-01-2019, 04:14 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,528,085 times
You could see if acccomodations can be had just outside of Red Lodge at Rock Creek Resort and then drive over the Beartooth Highway to Cody, WY......for my money when it comes to scenic there is the Beartooth Highway, Going to the Sun at Glacier Park, & coming up on the Mission Mountains from the South on Hwy93. And if you include gravel roads the Skalkaho Highway makes my short list.

Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,339,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Try to avoid Yellowstone on Labor Day Weekend (traffic / lodging / wildlife / services / Viewpoints will be a less than optimal experience) If you are hoping to spend a few days...shift trip a few days. (Later than Labor Day preferred).

Or... Do the 'Stealth visit...' Into the park at 5AM - see all you can before 10 AM (when families arrive). Also OK between 6 PM and 10 pm. I have done many <1 day trips through Yellowstone as a scenic transit route when nearby.

Or... if just passing through, and can later return... do a less traveled route. Such as the NE entrance (Beartooth Highway, (NE is My favorite part of YNP)) and out the NW Entrance (miss Yellowstone Lake / Old Faithful... come back later (in winter is nice).

Or ... also crowded, but very scenic Tetons!!!

Other stuff between MN and SEA... lots
  1. Mitchell Corn Palace,
  2. Wall Drug,
  3. Badlands,
  4. Wind Cave
  5. Black Hills (Needles Parkway)
  6. Devils Tower
  7. Buffalo
  8. Sheridan
  9. Big Horns (I prefer 14 and 14a (Burgess Jct > Lovell)
  10. (Thermopolis / Cody / or Red Lodge / Yellowstone / Tetons)
  11. Virginia City, MT
  12. Bitterroot valley, MT (Hamilton)
then take hwy 12 near Missoula through the ID Clearwater canyon to Lewiston.,

Follow Palouse region through SE WA.

If you are doing the northern route, there are other sights... (Glacier Park, Big Sky, Sandpoint...)
and of course... "The Enchanted Highway' in ND!
https://www.ndtourism.com/best-place...hanted-highway

Look to Scenic Byways and Roadside America for unique options.

Make sure you take An All-American Road in Wyoming &amp; Montana | Beartooth Highway | Montana &amp; Wyoming Scenic Drives

As for Yellowstone, Labor Day weekend will be a b***h, but check for room in West Yellowstone. You can do day trips that cover all of Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Just plan to be in major traffic jams

Old 07-01-2019, 07:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,042,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I agree. The Tetons are amazing, and you can stay at Teton Village or Jackson Hole. If Yellowstone is a 10, the Tetons are a 9.5.

Old 07-01-2019, 10:12 PM

7,028 posts, read 4,891,679 times
Are you going through North Dakota or South Dakota from Minnesota? If you go through South Dakota, you can stop by two of the Little House sites, Walnut Grove, MN and De Smet, SD. You might also be able to see the Black Hills, Mt Rushmore, and Custer State Park outside of Rapid City, SD. We drove through there once and it was really fun. We saw bison and the mules decided they were our best friends (I have pictures of our car with a mule head inside of each of the four windows).

If you camp anywhere going through Wyoming or Montana, though, make sure you read the rules on food on account of the bears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel