Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 11:29 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,407 times

Advertisements

If your trip takes you through Bozeman, I wouldn't miss The Museum of the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2019, 06:05 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post

If you camp anywhere going through Wyoming or Montana, though, make sure you read the rules on food on account of the bears.
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean but no, you can't camp just anywhere.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:23 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean but no, you can't camp just anywhere.
Well, you can camp anywhere in a National Forest for free but you will have no facilities. However you can find some official primitive sites.

As others have said, Yellowstone is bumper to bumper even on a non holiday. It's wretchedly crowded.

If you like history Little Big Horn, in spite of its bland rolling prairie terrain is very dynamic. When I visited there were three presentations by Park Rangers directly on the battlefield and these guys were such skilled speakers that they brought the past right into the present. Nearly half the audience were close to tears by the time they were done. And they did an excellent job of presenting this significant historical event from a variety of perspectives. Very impressive.

The trip from Spearfish. SD through Spearfish Canyon down to Rapid City, SD is beautiful. The SD Badlands are a bizarre and breath-taking experience if you are interested in geology. Take that stretch in the early morning or the heat will be oppressive.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:33 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
The trip from Spearfish. SD through Spearfish Canyon down to Rapid City, SD is beautiful. The SD Badlands are a bizarre and breath-taking experience if you are interested in geology. Take that stretch in the early morning or the heat will be oppressive.
Don't forget Badlands National Park.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:56 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I concur. Try Grand Teton slightly south of Yellowstone or Glacier National Park.
I agree. The Tetons are amazing, and you can stay at Teton Village or Jackson Hole. If Yellowstone is a 10, the Tetons are a 9.5.
But how does Grand Teton rank below Yellowstone? Ever hike to Lake Solitude in Grand Teton?

Old 07-02-2019, 08:05 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Well, you can camp anywhere in a National Forest for free but you will have no facilities. However you can find some official primitive sites.
There is dispersed camping allowed in National Forests but there are some areas that are restricted. It's not just a free for all.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:46 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
There is dispersed camping allowed in National Forests but there are some areas that are restricted. It's not just a free for all.
You are correct.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:10 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
Visited YNP for a more in-depth sight seeing and hiking focus trip last August. Traffic is bad during the day. It took us one hour to drive about seven miles between W. Yellowstone and Madison Junction. The reason for the back-up: There was a large boulder near the road and a huge parking area. The boulder had a bird sitting on it. That was it. It wasn't a bald eagle, just some sort of hawk. No other reason than that. The reason for the back-up: People would pull-up, stop, roll down windows, take photo, and then go. Parking lots were full, as many people wanted to get out of the car there, but many don't want to fully stop, but since the entire area was crowded, may as well get a photo.

If you can get into the park by first light, traffic will be minimal and you'll feel you have the entire place to yourself. I think first light when we went was around 6AM? Even between 7-8AM traffic wasn't bad, but it was noticeable that more people were out and about, but still pretty light compared to afternoon traffic.

Old 07-03-2019, 02:22 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Agree with above info about Yellowstone on a holiday weekend & Jackson Hole but also want to "plus 1" to route including Cody - Black Hills (beautiful) - Badlands, these will be crowded but less than Yellowstone & quite the scenic route. After Badlands to MN not so much...

Old 07-03-2019, 02:32 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Agree with above info about Yellowstone on a holiday weekend & Jackson Hole but ... Cody - Black Hills (beautiful) - Badlands, these will be crowded but less than Yellowstone & quite the scenic route. After Badlands to MN not so much...
Wall Drug
Mitchell Corn Palace

(Don't miss the Big Horns!) many traverse Black Hills > Casper > Cody

I am not a huge fan of Cody either (since I had to go there every week for 7 yrs on a trucking run)
Thermopolis is OK (prefer doing it in winter (Hot Springs))

I like NE entrance YNP via Red Lodge and Beartooth (much less traffic ) Adventurous and scenic drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel