Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:36 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,561,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
There are several orders of magnitude between the consequences of a stolen money belt, and zip-off cargo pants. Do not make that mistake, even once.
What if someone stole just one leg of the convertible travel pants? Can one contact the company to have a single leg tube replaced?

Nah, I think I'd rather lose my passport than one leg of my convertible travel pants. You'd also lose approximately 16% of your moisture wicking abilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 07:17 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,202,290 times
A small vial containing several of the following:
:: Ibuprofin or similar all-purpose pain killer. Expensive overseas
:: Benadryl. For wasp stings, or an allergy to something you were never exposed to before.
:: Vitamin C You'll meet new strains of common cold Knock it out at first tickly throat..
:: Anything else you use regularly at home,
:: Iodine, in case you're ever suspicious of your water, but nowadays, there is bottled water everywhere.

I wouldn't bother with anything for upset tummy -- You will probably get over that just as quickly without medicating, no aftereffects. Wash your hands often, that's most likely how you will pick something up, not from food or water.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:42 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,152,897 times
Quote:
:: Benadryl. For wasp stings, or an allergy to something you were never exposed to before.
:: Vitamin C You'll meet new strains of common cold Knock it out at first tickly throat..
:: Iodine, in case you're ever suspicious of your water, but nowadays, there is bottled water everywhere.

I wouldn't bother with anything for upset tummy -- You will probably get over that just as quickly without medicating, no aftereffects. Wash your hands often, that's most likely how you will pick something up, not from food or water.
Your posts have been chock full of information... Sounds like you've been around.

Old 07-03-2019, 07:49 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,079,804 times
Quote:

In the third world countries, that "bottled water" is simply the same exact tap water (unfiltered) put in bottles.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
In the third world countries, that "bottled water" is simply the same exact tap water (unfiltered) put in bottles.
This is false.

They had a big media series in Thailand where they sampled water from various bottled water companies, and from tap. The bottled water companies use tap but they filter and treat it to varying degrees. Both the tap water and bottled water had some contaminants but tap was more all over the board on levels. They took tap from like 17 different places and it varied wildly because of differences in infrastructure since contaminants can be introduced with older faulty pipes or improperly maintained rooftop storage tanks (common in 3rd world countries) or pumps. Coming from the city it's safe to drink, but by the time it gets to a faucet it just depends on all those factors. With bottled water there was far more consistency since it's filtered/treated at their facility then directly into the containers.

Bottom line = if you live in a 3rd world country and have had no short-term ill effects from drinking your tap water at home, then go for it. If you're on vacation for a couple weeks the tap water probably isn't worth the risk since you can't be sure what you're going to get, don't want to lose 2 days of vacation sitting on the toilet, and water is cheap.

Also = in some countries there are unscrupulous street vendors who fill cast off water bottles from tap to resell, but this is more like guy at the beach or street corner with bucket of water bottles, check the seals on the caps.

Quote:
Wash your hands often, that's most likely how you will pick something up, not from food or water.
Indeed, so many people worry about others sneezing near them but most person-to-person illnesses are transmitted by hands. Door knobs, escalator railings, ATM touchpads, etc. you're exchanging with tons of people and as soon as you absentmindedly rub your eyes or nose it spreads.

Last edited by lieqiang; 07-04-2019 at 12:46 AM..

Old 07-04-2019, 02:24 AM

Third world local people buy bottled not to avoid pathogens, but because local tapwater is not treated for heavy metals, trace chemicals, etc. In virtually every village now, tapwater is treated for pathogens that can harm you in a day, but is not free of impurities that can harm you over a lifetime cumulatively. If you're only there for a day or a week, drink your fill of the tapwater. and get on with your life..

Old 07-04-2019, 04:29 AM

Pathogens can be introduced due to poor infrastructure. Many people in Third World countries boil tap water for drinking, clearly this isn't an attempt to remove heavy metals they know it can make them sick. The

Old 07-04-2019, 08:15 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,944,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
When I have to pack for a ten day trip here in America, it is generally pretty easy because I am generally driving and so one small bag, if not efficient can easily be augmented with a second.

But what about international travel when the trip includes at least two countries - maybe three.

This requires a lot more strategic packing.

All of these things will have to be carried on your back (in a bag and on your body). And you have to consider that it will be warm and humid. How would you pack?
  • A pair of sneakers - on your feet. Definitely.
  • A second pair of sneakers (or more formal shoes) - in your bag. Questionable.
  • 6 pairs of underwear (6 shorts and 3 shirts), one worn, the others in your bag. I found a company that makes a wife beater with small pockets for passport and some cash, credit cards... (I think I will take along 3)
  • 5 pairs of socks. 1 worn, others in the bag, Bulky but not heavy. Can be washed - or worn twice and tossed.
  • 3 pair Cargo Pants with zip off legs. All in the bag.
  • 1 Pair of docker khaki long pants with a belt - worn on plane.
  • 6 light weight color t-shirts.
  • 2 pairs of light weight color t-shirts.
  • Small tube toothpaste and a travel toothbrush.
  • Your favorite BO stick.
  • Cut hair way beck before travel so no need to carry any shampoo - just use the soap in the rooms.
  • A razor in case the hotel cannot supply one.
  • A fold up pouch poncho. Takes only 4"x4"x1/2"
  • A ball cap to keep your brain from cooking in the sun. Can be washed out and dry overnight in the hotel and if not totally dry - no loss. If lost, buy a replacement.
  • Small roll of Toilet Paper? Also can be purchased in country. But should be packed while touring.

Note: Don't carry on plane, but buy little boxes of laundry soap for washing out any dirty socks and underwear.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
You're asking just the right person. I work in Alaska in tiny villages that often don't have running water and packing light is a must. Plus, I'm a woman, and it's even more difficult because I have to pack heavy bulky cold clothes, food, and bras in an under 50 pound bag for a 2+ week trip. It can be done; just pack what you need, not what you think you need. You don't have to take as many clothes as you believe. Three outfits is enough plus a light jacket. Rotate them. Lay them out, wear each two days in a row, and wash them when they start to stink. Flip your undies inside out. That will get you two wearings. Same with socks. It's a good idea to bring a long sleeved shirt and at least one pair of pants because temperatures are not always even everywhere you go. But you need flip flops. Carpets and showers can be unbelievably gross. Bring Concentrated Campsuds soap. It works great as an all purpose cleaner for clothes and your body. A roll of toilet paper and antibacterial wipies is a good idea as well. Keep those hands washed, and if you can't, use the wipes. There are some strange bugs out there that can make you really sick.

Oh, and sunscreen. Even if you are dark, sunburn can be a factor. I save a ton of money with my Brita filter bottle over buying water in each village. The water is not always safe and it filters water from harmful contaminants. Plus it reduces the chance of dehydration because you'll be more likely to fill it up and drink. I'd sub one of the pairs of tennis shoes for hiking boots if I were you but it depends on where you're going. Oh, and OTC meds are extremely helpful. Aspirin, Tylenol, sinus medicine, laxatives, and potassium especially since you'll probably sweat a lot. Earplugs can be a life safer, especially if you are sensitive to noise. Silicone ones work better than foam. A rolling duffle bag is more useful than a suitcase. It's more portable and can fit more stuff due to its shape, but that's definitely optional.

Old 07-04-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Pathogens can be introduced due to poor infrastructure. Many people in Third World countries boil tap water for drinking, clearly this isn't an attempt to remove heavy metals they know it can make them sick. The

It's a cultural tradition in Hong Kong to boil drinking water, even though the only thing wrong with is heavy metals leached out of old lead plumbing. If fact, boiling increases the concentration of the contaminants, but traditions die hard. In 2019, you do not need to boil urban tapwater in any country, except in places that are subject to frequent or recent floooding.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
It's a cultural tradition in Hong Kong to boil drinking water, even though the only thing wrong with is heavy metals leached out of old lead plumbing. If fact, boiling increases the concentration of the contaminants, but traditions die hard.
There is a big world out there that isn't called China.

Quote:
In 2019, you do not need to boil urban tapwater in any country, except in places that are subject to frequent or recent floooding.
I know you're going to do usual and stubbornly dig in here despite any and all evidence to the contrary, convincing yourself you have profound knowledge of tap water in tens of thousands of cities across hundreds of countries, but from research by Japan reported to Myanmar at https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/polic...ly/dl/5-06.pdf

Attran (1) system transmits and distributes water to residents directly through main and
sub-main pipe lines. Attran (2) system transmits water to the pumping station, and, then,
the water is pumped up to the Sanaydy Reservoir, and is distributed to residents. Water
from Kim Pon Chon Dam is distributed to residents by gravity. Water from the Shwe Nut
Taung Dam is transmitted to the booster pumping station, and, then, is pumped up to RTC
and to the Kan Thone Kan Reservoir

ii) Quality of Supplied Water and Safety of Drinking Water

MHLW Project Team conducted bacteriological tests for identification of coliforms
utilizing field test kit to confirm situations on safety of drinking water supplied in the city.
The test results are shown in the following Figure-2 and 3. In all of the supplied areas,
positive colonies of coliforms are detected. This indicates the situation on safety of
drinking-water in the city is threatened, so it is insisted that to cope with this risk to human
health
, it is indeed necessary to establish appropriate water supply system with appropriate
purification process.

In general, waterborne diseases caused by lack of safety of drinking water is one of the
major factors which may affect, in particular, increase of under 5 year infant mortality rate.
In this respect, as is recognized in the case of Mawlamyine, improper situation and
management on safety of drinking water may reflect to the high rate of infant mortality in
the Mon State
, which is slightly lower than the national average in Myanmar, however, it is
substantially high rate comparing with Japanese situation.

We'll be sure to let them know some guy on CityData has conducted his own exhaustive studies on Myanmar tap water and determined the levels of E. Coli are in fact within what he finds acceptable so any tourists that crosses the world for the their two week vacation should just drink from the tap. Furthermore they should be advised that boiling, which does in fact kill E. Coli, isn't recommend since it's just a silly custom from Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel