Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2019, 05:19 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,270,189 times

Advertisements

My friend is off to a place with no mobile phone reception and quite limited internet; Lord Howe Island, off the Australian coast. She is so looking forward to it. She has told everyone she is unavailable for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 07:44 PM

61,103 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I just pony up $30 (per month) for AT&T Passport while traveling. I get to keep my US phone # but I never use the voice phone. You get unlimited texts from any country and 120 MB of data, which I never got close to using up even though I was out of the country for 25 days last time. So anybody calling or texting you from the US, it looks to them like you're still in the US because your US number works fine regardless of what country you are in. I never had problem with email. But because I still had the same SIM in the phone, it would not know anything was different anyway.
I buy local SIM card and use WhatsApp for FREE calls/text and picture sending. WhatsApp use is free everywhere international because you use the internet not a calling plan.
Previously used T-Mobile plan, but the SIM combined with the app is much better.

I live overseas right now - access my mail, pay US bills, post on this forum, read news, order from Amazon, use google search, maps etc. without having any problems, ever.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:27 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,488,348 times
Yeah WhatsApp is fairly common outside USA and China, to where you see advertisements and business cards that have a WhatsApp contact number. I've even had some foreign airlines and bus companies provide the option of getting updates via WhatsApp.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:45 AM

61,103 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Yeah WhatsApp is fairly common outside USA and China, to where you see advertisements and business cards that have a WhatsApp contact number. I've even had some foreign airlines and bus companies provide the option of getting updates via WhatsApp.
WhatsApp has 1.5 billion users from 180 countries that makes it the most popular instant messaging app worldwide.
Spoiler
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel