Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,177,358 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind that schools in FL and other states may be back in session but other schools aren't yet. I know at least MI and WI schools don't start until after Labor Day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 11:23 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Just remember this - you know all those old folks in Clearwater that are driving the wrong way at 20 MPH under the speed limit?

Their parents live in Sarasota.

And their parents retired to Naples.

To the OP, the Siesta Key isn't crowded over Labor Day with anyone but locals. The end of August and all of September are off season in Sarasota.

I can't imagine Clearwater Beach being crowded over Labor Day with anyone but locals.

I lived on Siesta Key almost two years.

Old 07-16-2019, 11:35 AM

4,219 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
And their parents retired to Naples.

To the OP, the Siesta Key isn't crowded over Labor Day with anyone but locals. The end of August and all of September are off season in Sarasota.

I can't imagine Clearwater Beach being crowded over Labor Day with anyone but locals.

I lived on Siesta Key almost two years.
I know FL is a retiree state...only city I've spent time in in FL though is Miami (South Beach in particular); I go there every year.

Since I don't usually travel domestically over Labor Day I guess I don't know what to expect in terms of crowds...maybe it won't be so bad? I know it won't be "spring break" like; just hoping for some peaceful time to zone out and as mentioned, enjoy nice waters, the good food and a bit of peace in the evenings. I don't mind being close to stuff/things to do or there being people around, it's just relaxing will be the purpose of this trip so I'm hoping it's not overly crowded is all. I know this can't be predicted no matter where I go but was trying to determine if Clearwater is still a good bet (or if other options might be more reasonable for a relaxing stay).

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far...

Old 07-16-2019, 12:09 PM

249 posts, read 195,864 times
I went to Fort Meyers Beach during Memorial Day, and it was basically empty. Walked down the beach about a mile, and there's also a campground. Beautiful white sand and very nice resort. I stayed at the Pink Shell, walking distance to many nice restaurants and bars.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southkakkatlantan View Post
I know FL is a retiree state...only city I've spent time in in FL though is Miami (South Beach in particular); I go there every year.

Since I don't usually travel domestically over Labor Day I guess I don't know what to expect in terms of crowds...maybe it won't be so bad? I know it won't be "spring break" like; just hoping for some peaceful time to zone out and as mentioned, enjoy nice waters, the good food and a bit of peace in the evenings. I don't mind being close to stuff/things to do or there being people around, it's just relaxing will be the purpose of this trip so I'm hoping it's not overly crowded is all. I know this can't be predicted no matter where I go but was trying to determine if Clearwater is still a good bet (or if other options might be more reasonable for a relaxing stay).

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far...
No, it will not be bad at all. Actual Labor Day will be busy but not too bad.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:57 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Why would anyone go to Florida on Labor Day? It’s 90F and humid.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:53 PM

4,219 posts, read 4,741,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Why would anyone go to Florida on Labor Day? It’s 90F and humid.
I want to go to the beach.

Does it not at least cool off a bit in the evenings anyways? I'm from SC and live in Georgia so I don't think the heat will be too shocking.

Besides, I mentioned to feel free to give suggestions of other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel