Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 12:11 AM

16,082 posts, read 10,744,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
I was recently on vacation with a relative. I had mixed feelings about patronizing the Peruvian restaurant that my cousin suggested, but decided to give it a try.
It looks like you clearly didn't want to be there and were already on edge and tentative on your commitment to "give it a try". It is OK to decide to go elsewhere. Your cousin was looking for a free ride and picked an outrageously expensive restaurant knowing you were going to be stuck with the bill. If you have misgivings about a restaurant, pick a different place.

Racial prejudice is alive and pervasive in other countries. As a white American person, I've seen treatment of minorities (and women) in other countries that left me dumbfounded and amazed.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:21 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Never had trouble with restaurant servers but I would just leave in that scenario, or not leave any tips.

However, I had a bad experience with SWA, file a complaint, yawn, of course, they didn't admit their fault.

Old 07-24-2019, 06:28 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,076 times
Something is missing in this post.

Peruvian Restaurant in Aruba !!! It is not local by any standards and not exotic also considering it is very difficult for them to get all peruvian ingredients. And run by indian guy ??

Bill for 2 people comes out to be 120 US Dollars !!

Currency in Aruba is Arubian Florin, so this 120 Dollar bill came after their currency conversion ? How much was the bill in Arubian Florin ?

Old 07-24-2019, 07:30 AM

124 posts, read 65,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Something is missing in this post.

Peruvian Restaurant in Aruba !!! It is not local by any standards and not exotic also considering it is very difficult for them to get all peruvian ingredients. And run by indian guy ??

Bill for 2 people comes out to be 120 US Dollars !!

Currency in Aruba is Arubian Florin, so this 120 Dollar bill came after their currency conversion ? How much was the bill in Arubian Florin ?
Aruba doesn't require that you convert your money if you are from America or Europe. In fact, pretty much all of the businesses prefer that you use the dollar or Euro.

Based on my travels, Aruba is nothing more than a playground for white Americans/Canadians and white Europeans (specifically, those from Spain and Holland). Aruba is a colony/territory of the Netherlands and all Arubans have Dutch citizenship and a dutch passport. Based on my discussions with the locals, most cannot afford to relocate to Holland and don't have the education to secure positions that would support them in Europe, so they are pretty much relegated to the Island. While the Dutch, have the ability to live in Holland and Aruba and afford to build homes and buy condos in all white enclaves of the island.

I mentioned that the restaurant owner looked Indian, because he did. This doesn't however mean that he wasn't from Peru, given the fact that Peru has an Indian population.

Most of the restaurants in the tourist spots of Aruba are expensive, because the menu selections often include (groper, red snapper, lobster, Barbaresco Italian wine selections, etc). One doesn't have to eat at those restaurants, but sometimes it's easier and more often than not, the quality of food and standards are generally higher than at the spots where the locals frequent.

Aruba is a small island. I was able to explore pretty much the entire island while partaking in various excursions.

Aruba attracts a lot of immigrants from Latin America, because it's so close (You can see Venezuela from the highest mountain peak in Aruba). It also has a black population, which primarily consist of immigrants from Haiti, Dominican Republic and other parts of the Caribbean.

It goes without saying that most of the people working at the hotels/resorts or in service positions are Latin American. I'm familiar with the color caste system in Latin America and it ties pretty much into the same apartheid/color caste system that the dutch instituted throughout South Africa.

Last edited by Evelyn2019; 07-24-2019 at 08:06 AM..

Old 07-24-2019, 08:22 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Wow -- that covers a whole range of unpleasant adventures.
I've seen foreign tourists put up a fuss when in the US with food or drinks or those pesky safety rules we all observe. I would have walked out right away.
Well, most people in the United States consider themselves a little more enlightened and advanced than other countries. Plus, we have strict laws against racial discrimination, at least on paper, and people at least try to live up to these standards.

On the other hand, there are many countries where discrimination is the norm and nobody thinks twice about it. This is the reality still today.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Well, most people in the United States consider themselves a little more enlightened and advanced than other countries. Plus, we have strict laws against racial discrimination, at least on paper, and people at least try to live up to these standards.

On the other hand, there are many countries where discrimination is the norm and nobody thinks twice about it. This is the reality still today.
There's still a lot of racism and discrimination in the U.S. The laws don't really stop this, because lawsuits are expensive, and most people don't file lawsuits every time they experience discrimination or racism.

Every day, there are several stories in the news about the pervasive discrimination. Just this week:

Quote:
Cathy-Marie Hamlet started her Facebook post with the good news: She’d gotten engaged.

But her fiance kept getting interrupted, she said, as he proposed from the lawn of hard cider company Angry Orchard’s tree-filled, 60-acre property in New York’s Hudson Valley. Security intruded on the couple’s happy moment three times to accuse Hamlet’s boyfriend of stealing a T-shirt, including once right as he popped the question.

Staff followed Hamlet and her fiance, who are black, all the way to the parking lot as they left, the 32-year-old doctor wrote in her post, which had been shared more than 5,000 times Tuesday afternoon. She believes they were racially profiled.

“I have never been so humiliated in my life,” she said, adding that “myself and some of my friends left Angry Orchard in tears."
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world...ing/ar-AAEL22M
https://people.com/food/angry-orchar...gement-couple/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.943d5c30e2e5

Cathy-Marie Hamlet stated that the security team checked the bags of all of the black people, but when the one white person with the group, asked if her bag had to be checked as well, the security team stated it wasn't necessary.

Discrimination is still very much alive and well in the hearts and minds of many Americans. Racism in the U.S. is as American as apple pie.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:41 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn2019 View Post
Discrimination is still very much alive and well in the hearts and minds of many Americans. Racism in the U.S. is as American as apple pie.
This is true, it exists everywhere. But Americans at least feel a little guilty about racial discrimination.

The difference in many other countries is they don't give it a second thought and think it is normal.

Old 07-24-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
This is true, it exists everywhere. But Americans at least feel a little guilty about racial discrimination. The difference in many other countries is they don't give it a second thought and think it is normal.
I disagree. I don't believe for one second that the average American feels "guilty" about discrimination or acts of racism. For the most part, negative (or positive) beliefs about different people based solely on their race/skin color are ingrained into the average person's subconscious mind, meaning, they act in discriminatory manners and make wide sweeping assumptions without even thinking about it. The beliefs are further fostered and enforced by the American media and criminal "justice" system and the larger American society, each and every day.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:16 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
Maybe they recognized your cousin as a bum.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:35 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times
This is starting to feel like a P&C topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel