Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 07:40 AM

18,560 posts, read 7,364,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
Would you stay at a motel with outside halls while on vacation?
If it doesn't have outside halls, it's not a motel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 09:32 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
I am pretty particular on the hotels I stay in. I do need a good bed, good pillows and comfy sheets to sleep well. I also need A/C that works - I can’t sleep in a warm room. I’m a light sleeper, so noisy hotels do not work for me. I have not stayed in a hotel with an exterior door since I was a child… And would prefer not to. I want clean, I want nice clean bright bathrooms… Not really concerned about the view.

I stayed at a Motel 6, many years ago, in Florida. We were coming back from a concert and we were dead tired, late at night, and very few options where we were. It was horrendous. I honestly felt like I did not want to touch anything in that room. Not a good night sleep, and we could not wait to leave. I have not been in a Motel 6 since. I stayed at a Motel 6, many years ago, in Florida… It was her Renda‘s. I honestly felt like I did not want to touch anything in that room. Not a good night sleep, and we could not wait to leave. I have not been in a Motel 6 sinc

I have stayed at a Red Roof Inn, in Raleigh, that is really very very good. I think the rate was something under $70 a night, unfortunately the last time we stayed there it was incredibly noisy and we did not get a good nights sleep. I hope that hotel is not going downhill. It was always a good value. I am staying in a Hyatt right now, and the rate is $139... which is a bargain. Many weekends this hotel goes for over 500 a night. I would certainly not pay that LOL. But for $139, it’s great.

Old 08-10-2019, 02:18 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,361 times
On road trips, it's kind of nice to park right outside your room. Not all motels are seedy dumps and all hotels aren't automatically nicer.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:12 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,826,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
If it doesn't have outside halls, it's not a motel.

Germany's 'budget design' chain- Motel One- would beg to differ in that definition

https://www.motel-one.com/en/

(They're more my kind of moderately priced hotel/motel)

Old 08-10-2019, 07:12 PM

408 posts, read 259,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4Chickens View Post
I typically stay at the cheaper motels because I am just trying to get from point A to point B and I just need a bed to crash on for the night. I've usually driven an especially long distance, eight hours or more, so by the time I arrive I crawl into bed and crash out. I get up at dawn and head out on the road again. So yes cheap motels fit my needs. My only complaint is when the other guests are noisy, but usually that is rarely an issue
Same here. When I travel by myself or me and the dog, the cheaper the better, as long as the dog does not get fleas. I am just there to sleep and shower. When I travel with Mrs. Deoge, Marriotts and Hiltons. When my company is picking up the tab, their budget is generally one hundred twenty to a hundred and fifty bucks plus a generous food per diem depending on location.

I looked at some old expense accounts the other day. in the 1970's used to get a pretty good business class hotel room for 49 dollars a night and 26 dollars per diem.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notch on my belt View Post
I was planning the accommodations on an upcoming vacation and saw that the hotel prices have gone up significantly in the last 3-4 years. At a much higher rate than inflation (Which is supposed to be 2-3% a year) For example, even a simple Holiday Inn Hotel in many small or medium-sized towns is $150 before taxes.

The only affordable places to stay now days seems to be the motels. I am talking about one or two-story accommodations with the small rooms facing the outside. The rooms may be clean but the air conditioner/heater is usually noisy and turns on and off all night. The drapes are thin and with a huge spotlight shining on the motel, it is extremely bright in the room at night. The bed will be rock hard and the quality of the blankets, comforter, and pillows are poor. And because the room faces the outdoors, it can be a chilly walk to your car after leaving the room. And finally, there can be a large number of rough-looking folks at the motel because it is cheap.

Here is an example of the type of Motel I am talking about:

https://www.travelok.com/listings/view.profile/id.448

Even with all those challenges I may consider staying at one of these motels because the rate is only $50 vs the $150 Holiday Inn (Hampton Inn, Best Western, Courtyard By Marriott, etc.)

If your only choice was a $50 motel or a $150 Holiday Inn what would you choose?
I wouldnt mind....it just has to be safe.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:56 PM

23,515 posts, read 23,995,040 times
No, safety is a concern for me.

Old 08-10-2019, 11:39 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,067,892 times
I don't like outside halls...I want protection from the elements and the slightly improved security that one gets from inside halls.

Old 07-18-2020, 06:41 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
We stayed in one of those type motels. The actual was very nosy so we left the fron door open. The owners dogs were well trsined, they never entered ourvroom. However that did not stop them from throwing their ball.in expectibg us to toss it for them...

When I can prefer to tent it.
What does this phrase mean?

"Actual" is an adjective. .... The actual what?..... Whatever it, he, or she was, was it nosy, or do you mean noisy?

Old 07-18-2020, 12:23 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,382,070 times
I normally prefer hotels because of the reasons many mentioned, e.g., the parking lot and street noise seem louder at a motel than a hotel and I do not consider them as safe. Last motel I stayed at was a Quality Inn and several car alarms went off during the night. But now with the COVID-19, I am favoring motels with outside halls and entrances to reduce potential exposure. Some national parks have closed their lodges/hotels and are opening only their motels and cabins with outside entrances as a COVID-19 precaution. You can find small independently owned motels in tourist towns that are real gems but you have to do your research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel