Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:47 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed vacationing in Italy - Rome, Florence and Venice. Also, London and Paris.

I have yet to travel anywhere else that beats that experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 10:50 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Come to Australia in your summer/our winter. Beautiful up north and no crowds.
I want to explore Queensland (Brisbane, Cairns/Great Barrier Reef) during your winter months as I hear the weather is nice. What other cities would you recommend to visit during the Australian winter months of June, July and August?

Old 08-22-2019, 12:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
reconsider and see Sydney for New Years fireworks!! (during crummy USA weather)
Sundays are great ($4 public transit including trains, ferries, buses)
NSW to the south of Sydney.
Blue Mtns
(All very nearby)

Also look into the Air NZ flights from LA that include a free stop in Cook Islands.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:55 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
reconsider and see Sydney for New Years fireworks!! (during crummy USA weather)
Sundays are great ($4 public transit including trains, ferries, buses)
NSW to the south of Sydney.
Blue Mtns
(All very nearby)

Also look into the Air NZ flights from LA that include a free stop in Cook Islands.
Thank you for the tips. I was considering visiting Sydney and Melbourne during the Australian summer to escape our winter and because I want to also visit NZ .... I get most of January off so that is what I'm leaning towards. I do want to visit the Great Barrier Reef but I think January would be too uncomfortably hot for me and isn't that Typhoon season?

Old 08-24-2019, 12:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thank you for the tips. I was considering visiting Sydney and Melbourne during the Australian summer to escape our winter and because I want to also visit NZ .... I get most of January off so that is what I'm leaning towards. I do want to visit the Great Barrier Reef but I think January would be too uncomfortably hot for me and isn't that Typhoon season?
Yes... Cyclone season (rare occurrence) and higher temps in Cairns during Jan and Feb (Dec / early Jan might be better)
https://www.visitcairns.com.au/cyclones.htm
https://www.australia.com/en/facts-a...in-cairns.html

Old 08-24-2019, 02:00 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,307,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes... Cyclone season (rare occurrence) and higher temps in Cairns during Jan and Feb (Dec / early Jan might be better)
https://www.visitcairns.com.au/cyclones.htm
https://www.australia.com/en/facts-a...in-cairns.html
I would not really recommend Cairns and the reef in our summer. Apart from being the wet season it is the school holidays, and you need to wear full stinger suits to swim. New Years Eve in Sydney is dreadfully crowded and expensive. We never go near it these days.

What is becoming popular in Sydney is Vivid, in June, when everything is lit up. It is chilly at night but fine if you are walking about. Crowded but extends over a couple of weeks.

I love Sydney in the winter. By August the days are getting a bit longer and it is great for walking and sightseeing. Today the maximum was 77F but it will be cooler next week.

If you came in July I would start up north and end up in Sydney. If you were coming in June, the opposite. It is only July that is consistently cold but we never get snow in Sydney.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:19 AM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
All of my vacations have been spectacular in their own way. My last one is the freshest in my mind - Greece - absolutely fabulous. I just can't say that there is one favorite though.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:43 PM

465 posts, read 303,792 times
Definitely places I went for the first time but here are my most memorable:

2000- Band HS trip to Disney. There were about 70 of us but it was awesome. I was a jr in HS and got to experience it with some of my best friends etc. Living in Rhode Island, this was my first time in Florida and it was in February so early warm weather was a plus. This was such an awesome time to be alive.

2001- England/Scotland 9 day trip coordinated by EF Tours. There were like 10 of us from my HS that went but we went with 4 other high schools in towns from CT, MD, MI and Saskatchewan. We were in London for a good four days and stayed at the hotel in Chelsea Village attached to the stadium. We got to see Buckingham Palace, the Tower of London, Piccadilly Circus, Westminister Abbey, Covent Garden , the British Museum and ate good food. We also visited Stone Henge and Bath before leaving the London area and traveling to Stratford upon avon and then Birmingham for the night and then a few days in York before crossing the border into Scotland and spending a few days in Edinburgh. It was definitely memorable experiencing these places and meeting new people too. If you have a kid and they have an opportunity to take a school trip abroad, push them towards an experience like this.

2011- Cross country trip Seattle to RI. I flew out for a family member's wedding to Seattle. My family already took an RV across country and I had over a week off from work so I had the opportunity to ride back. We took route 90 most of the way (Route 94 from Montana to Wisconsin) and some of the scenery was amazing. My favorite was riding up elevation looking down to Lake Couer D'Alene to some of the great big sky scenery of Montana.

2016- LA/Vegas- I've never been to any of these places before but visited LA a few days before taking a bus to Vegas. It was incredible going through the desert on Rt 15 and then visiting the strip that night for the first time. The next day we also hiked on an old railroad trail just south of Vegas and it led us to the Hoover Dam.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:29 PM

1,052 posts, read 798,573 times
Three trips stand out for me:

- Solo traveler - One month backpacking in Thailand after finishing my doctorate
- Couples travel - Two weeks in Brazil with DW
- Family travel - two weeks in Fiji

Old 09-05-2019, 11:40 AM

12 posts, read 7,105 times
I was in Kamchatka with my brother in the middle of summer 2018. Though the middle of summer, it is good that we brought warm clothes with us. All the days of our stay were as cold as late autumn.
Kamchatka has only two seasons - winter, which lasts nine months and three months of autumn. But still it should be seen at least once in a lifetime, because here begins Russia!

Last edited by Godricfielder; 09-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.. Reason: update
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel