Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:54 AM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times

Advertisements

This topic has probably been covered already, but it did not come up when I entered the title -- so, what was your best vacation EVER?

I have a tie:

1. Staying at the Ski Tip Lodge, which was a very rustic B&B in Keystone, Colorado during a very heavy snowfall before Keystone became very touristy and crowded. Just stayed in playing Scrabble with my husband before a large and crackling fire and drank Bailey's-and-coffees with a mix of soft music playing in the background. Heavenly! (This was about 1987 or 1988.)

2. Going on a Maine Windjammer cruise in 2016. First time doing anything like that, and although the cabin was tiny and the accommodations were primitive, we had gourmet meals and it was the most relaxing summer vacation we have ever had!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:00 AM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
I cannot think of a vacation that I didn't totally love, all for different reasons.
For the most standout, I would pick getting married in Jamaica.

I have not been to another continent yet, but probably going next year, so ask this again next fall!

Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Tetons.... Float trip (3 of us) from Jackson Dam to Jackson Hole at daybreak. Silent beauty, lots of moose, elk, bears, birds.

But have had many wonderful trips, such as today... (and being the only guests in a ski lodge 3x has been great)... Hot springs, fall colors.... Maritime Canadian Provinces are always nice. Alaska camping and fishing. Sailing, and working vacations (camps, farms, restoration of trails and historical villages, putting in Wells, helping in orphanage.). Good way to instill values and volunteer work ethic in your kids. They learn best by example.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:05 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,284 times
Several, but the one that I remember the most fondly is a sabbatical my wife and I took around 20 years ago that included six weeks of driving around Europe followed by visiting some family in Israel, but culminating with a cruise across the Pacific (Auckland to San Francisco) on a working freighter.

http://gardyloo.us/wp-content/upload...-Freighter.pdf

Old 08-13-2019, 11:41 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
In 1971, while still a teenager, I hit the road & mostly hitch-hiked through most of Europe for about 6 months until my $$$ finally ran out Ireland to Turkey. It was way more than a vacation, it was a true learning experience & it demarcated the end of "hometown life" & started a new chapter where I always wondered about the other side of the hill.

It was really only possible because I had gotten a very high number in the Draft Lottery & was spared the trip to Vietnam, a different kind of "learning experience". Life changing events can be random too.

I thought I would return soon for another extended ramble but could only go back to specific spots on typical work vacations over the years. But I actually chose a career that included a lot of travel because of that first trip. Now that I'm retired I'll consider that longer "vacation" again but I think I will focus on a few specific areas & go deep rather than wide ranging.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:47 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
All of them.

I really have never had a vacation that wasn't amazing.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:58 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
3-way tie for me

1) Road trip with my family from Chicago, through South Dakota, Wyoming and back. Loved all of it
2) 10 days on the North Shore of Oahu in a house right on the beach. Went to Honolulu once. Spent the rest exploring the island, hiking, relaxing.
3) First family trip out of the country to Lisbon. Navigating a different country, seeing Sintra, the street scenes in Lisbon, just wonderful.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:00 AM

2,195 posts, read 1,851,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
In 1971, while still a teenager, I hit the road & mostly hitch-hiked through most of Europe for about 6 months until my $$$ finally ran out Ireland to Turkey. It was way more than a vacation, it was a true learning experience & it demarcated the end of "hometown life" & started a new chapter where I always wondered about the other side of the hill.

It was really only possible because I had gotten a very high number in the Draft Lottery & was spared the trip to Vietnam, a different kind of "learning experience". Life changing events can be random too.

I thought I would return soon for another extended ramble but could only go back to specific spots on typical work vacations over the years. But I actually chose a career that included a lot of travel because of that first trip. Now that I'm retired I'll consider that longer "vacation" again but I think I will focus on a few specific areas & go deep rather than wide ranging.
Wow dude. Respect.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:20 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
The one I havent taken yet!

Old 08-16-2019, 02:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I took a four month trip thru England, Ireland, France and Scandinavia BY MYSELF. Best ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel