Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 01:59 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Why not leave the kids at home until they can actually appreciate the travel/remember it? We have a toddler and close relatives in Scandinavia and South America. But we won't take a kid on a flight until they can sit still and self entertain. Traveling with tiny children is a nightmare for your fellow airline passengers and of limited value for their kids themselves. Just say no.
While I agree with you - the toddler is definitely going to be miserable most of the times (heat, crowds, noise, restaurants, different food, time change, no normal daily routine and things that are familiar and trusted) but most of the family is going on that trip and maybe OP has no one to take care of the child back at home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2019, 08:28 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
While I agree with you - the toddler is definitely going to be miserable most of the times (heat, crowds, noise, restaurants, different food, time change, no normal daily routine and things that are familiar and trusted) but most of the family is going on that trip and maybe OP has no one to take care of the child back at home?
Perhaps. But it's really just not fair to anyone who has to travel with this toddler on this "dream" trip. I'm sure the dream didn't include meltdowns from a three year old at Versailles. Not to mention that it's really unkind to the child. I would be looking for a reliable baby minder first and foremost.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,083,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Why not leave the kids at home until they can actually appreciate the travel/remember it? We have a toddler and close relatives in Scandinavia and South America. But we won't take a kid on a flight until they can sit still and self entertain. Traveling with tiny children is a nightmare for your fellow airline passengers and of limited value for their kids themselves. Just say no.
Thumbs up!
IMO, this is THE BEST AND THE WISET WAY but many parents/adults are selfish and they live in denial that nothing happens to kids when they are taken to such long destinations with super hectic itinerary for adults (let alone the small kids) in a totally different time zone.

Small kids can neither appreciate such trips nor do they enjoy or have any good memories that they can retain.

Old 08-31-2019, 07:10 AM

492 posts, read 637,833 times
If this is a dream trip you might want to set expectations that you won’t be all together all day. Let the grandparents and maybe you or your wife and the 10 year old hit the museums and tourist sites that have lines while one parent entertains the toddler in the parks and plazas. It would be a shame if these older moms go on their once in a lifetime trip only to see the outside of the Louvre from the Tuileries playground or read about the Vatican Museum while the little one naps.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:57 AM

189 posts, read 262,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Thumbs up!
IMO, this is THE BEST AND THE WISET WAY but many parents/adults are selfish and they live in denial that nothing happens to kids when they are taken to such long destinations with super hectic itinerary for adults (let alone the small kids) in a totally different time zone.
Unfortunately we have no one to leave our children with and after posting this thread I recommended canceling the trip all together. I offered paying for their tickets so they can enjoy it at their own pace and with that they want to do but my parents are keen on going together. Everyone decided to change the travel dates so were not there during the summer rush to help with the lines and heat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
If this is a dream trip you might want to set expectations that you won’t be all together all day. Let the grandparents and maybe you or your wife and the 10 year old hit the museums and tourist sites that have lines while one parent entertains the toddler in the parks and plazas. It would be a shame if these older moms go on their once in a lifetime trip only to see the outside of the Louvre from the Tuileries playground or read about the Vatican Museum while the little one naps.

Thanks! I plan on doing so if there are long lines, also we are planning to start our days very early to avoid the build up. Also we changed our trip from End of June to Early April to avoid the peak season. We'll see how everything goes, I plan on putting a trip report together outlining the experience once we get back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel