U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 10:57 AM

177 posts, read 204,765 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning a Europe trip for 12 Days for the end of June 2020 this year with my wife, parents and mother in law. Below is the itinerary that we have worked out:

Day 0 - Land in Paris

Day 1 - Paris

Day 2 - Paris

Day 3 - Paris

Day 3 - Paris to Venice (6pm Flight)

Day 4 - Venice

Day 5 - Venice

Day 6 - Venice to Rome (3pm Flight)

Day 7 - Rome

Day 8 - Rome

Day 9 - Rome

Day 10 - Rome

Day 12 - AM Flight Back Home

How does this itinerary look? We tried to limit the cities since we will be traveling with our kids who will be 10 and 2.5 years old at the time of the trip. I only wanted to do 2 cities however my mother's dream is to go to Venice so we cut down the days in paris/rome so we could squeeze that in.
We also chose to take flights between the cities to save time and not have to worry about the toddler being uneasy on the overnight train from Paris -> Venice.

Thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 11:12 AM

9,334 posts, read 17,955,897 times
For the most part, it sounds reasonable as long as you figure out how to meet any down time needs the toddler has. Keep in mind check out times for your hotel or rental and what you can do with luggage between check out and airport if that'a a significant gap

Old 08-22-2019, 11:50 AM

2,714 posts, read 3,487,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xism View Post
Hi,

I am planning a Europe trip for 12 Days for the end of June 2020 this year with my wife, parents and mother in law. Below is the itinerary that we have worked out:

Day 0 - Land in Paris

Day 1 - Paris

Day 2 - Paris

Day 3 - Paris

Day 3 - Paris to Venice (6pm Flight)

Day 4 - Venice

Day 5 - Venice

Day 6 - Venice to Rome (3pm Flight)

Day 7 - Rome

Day 8 - Rome

Day 9 - Rome

Day 10 - Rome

Day 12 - AM Flight Back Home

How does this itinerary look? We tried to limit the cities since we will be traveling with our kids who will be 10 and 2.5 years old at the time of the trip. I only wanted to do 2 cities however my mother's dream is to go to Venice so we cut down the days in paris/rome so we could squeeze that in.
We also chose to take flights between the cities to save time and not have to worry about the toddler being uneasy on the overnight train from Paris -> Venice.

Thoughts?
It matters less where you go than what you do while you are there. In my experience, toddlers are not crazy about museums. (Nor are 10-year-olds, for that matter.)

You'll need to build in lots of time for your kids to run around and play. I'd look into parks where you can have picnic lunches. Find squares with things your kids can climb on.

I haven't traveled in Paris with kids, but I remember from previous visits there was a nice carousel in the Place de la Republique, and a big open sand box in the Place des Vosges.

I'd Google "Paris for kids," "Rome for kids," etc.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:27 PM

9,320 posts, read 5,553,498 times
Your overall itinerary looks fine. You're allowing enough time in each city to actually see some things. Now you just need to prioritize what you want to see/do at each destination. depending on their health and vigor, your parents and MIL might want to do some sightseeing on their own while the kids are enjoying playtime/downtime, in order to fit in a few more "interesting to adults but not kids" sights in. Just make sure everyone knows when and where to meet back up if the group does decide to split up.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:41 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,262,845 times
I would recommend taking the train from Venice to Rome. It is about 4 hours and will likely be less of a hassle to get to and from the train stations in both cities to any accommodations in the city than from the airport.

You may want to consider a day trip to Florence, the train from Rome is about 90 minutes and many of the highlights of the area can be done in a day.

Be sure to arrange you transportation from the airport in advance, if there was one thing that was jarring on my trips to Paris and Italy was the aggressiveness of people offering rides and it can be a little difficult to figure out, official taxis and transportation companies and independent drivers. It is just so much easier to have someone waiting with your name on a board than trying to weigh your options on how to get to the city or the costs people start throwing at you.

Old 08-22-2019, 03:01 PM

2,419 posts, read 1,530,243 times
I think this will be a difficult trio with three generations thrown in together. Everyone might have different priorities that will be hard to reconcile. Kids, especially the 2.5 year old are likely to be interested in kid activities, playgrounds, parks etc. Is the 10 year old interested in history/museums? I can't imagine the kids standing in line to get to Vatican in Rome or Dodge's palace in Venice. Older generations probably wants to sight see but might prefer to take either cabs or bus trips. The OP and his wife might want to explore on foot through the walkable cities.

And like someone else mentioned, the train between Venice and Rime is faster. Venice does not have an airport but has a train station. Day time train will be faster...

Old 08-22-2019, 04:02 PM

476 posts, read 523,292 times
You might consider flipping the order, as Rome can be hot by the beginning of July, but Paris less so.

I’ve done Italy with 4 and 9 year olds. They can like museums. Buy post cards and have them look for the subject. Have them pose like the statues for pictures. The toddlers probably aren’t museum people.

I’ve seen folks with strollers in Venice, and it’s painful to watch. Maybe a baby backpack would work better there.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:09 PM

10,146 posts, read 9,453,399 times
Whatever you do, I can't recommend strongly enough to start your day out as early as possible, to avoid the crowds. And by early, if you can tolerate just after sunrise, do it. All of those destinations are so incredibly overcrowded. Get an early start and have an afternoon rest while the crowds are out.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:44 PM

45,309 posts, read 64,773,863 times
Is that your first visit overseas?
How will you travel in those cities? Planning to rent a car?
There will be 7 people traveling together - even with taxi it might be difficult or getting table in
a restaurant.
Make sure you reserve hotel rooms far in advance. It's a high season there. Some hotels are strictly child-free.
It could be a hot Summer again and A/C isn't common. Plan accordingly, just in case. A toddler in a hot Summer, middle in the crowds could be very miserable.
Anyone speaks French or Italian? Kids are well behaved? (I don't want to sound callous, but people aren't very tolerant of misbehaving kids especially in nice restaurants or museums). Service is generally slow, because patrons don't want to be rushed.

Generally restrooms are for customers only, so changing the baby and finding public restrooms might be a challenge too.
Make sure you discuss the travel with your pediatrician - food is different there. Have basic travel meds with you.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 08-22-2019 at 05:56 PM..

Old 08-22-2019, 06:02 PM

177 posts, read 204,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
You might consider flipping the order, as Rome can be hot by the beginning of July, but Paris less so.

I’ve done Italy with 4 and 9 year olds. They can like museums. Buy post cards and have them look for the subject. Have them pose like the statues for pictures. The toddlers probably aren’t museum people.

I’ve seen folks with strollers in Venice, and it’s painful to watch. Maybe a baby backpack would work better there.
Thank you! I will look for a good backpack just for the Venice part, my son is 19 months now and is already 28lbs, so a stroller is definitely preferred for the rest of the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantNJ View Post
I think this will be a difficult trio with three generations thrown in together. Everyone might have different priorities that will be hard to reconcile. Kids, especially the 2.5 year old are likely to be interested in kid activities, playgrounds, parks etc. Is the 10 year old interested in history/museums? I can't imagine the kids standing in line to get to Vatican in Rome or Dodge's palace in Venice. Older generations probably wants to sight see but might prefer to take either cabs or bus trips. The OP and his wife might want to explore on foot through the walkable cities.

And like someone else mentioned, the train between Venice and Rime is faster. Venice does not have an airport but has a train station. Day time train will be faster...
Our 10 year old does like museums the 19 mo old not so much, he doesnt seem to enjoy much at the moment.

Venice shows a small airport named MarcoPolo airport, we were planning on catching an Atalia flight to rome here, its a quick 1 hour flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Is that your first visit overseas?
How will you travel in those cities? Planning to rent a car?
There will be 7 people traveling together - even with taxi it might be difficult or getting table in
a restaurant.
Make sure you reserve hotel rooms far in advance. It's a high season there. Some hotels are strictly child-free.
It could be a hot Summer again and A/C isn't common. Plan accordingly, just in case. A toddler in a hot Summer, middle in the crowds could be very miserable.
Anyone speaks French or Italian? Kids are well behaved? (I don't want to sound callous, but people aren't very tolerant of misbehaving kids especially in nice restaurants or museums). Service is generally slow, because patrons don't want to be rushed.

Generally restrooms are for customers only, so changing the baby and finding public restrooms might be a challenge too.
Make sure you discuss the travel with your pediatrician - food is different there. Have basic travel meds with you.
Is that your first visit overseas?As a family yes, personally I have been all over Europe due to my former job as a Project Manager.
How will you travel in those cities? Planning to rent a car? I did not think about this, potentially two cabs? A Friend suggested doing a hop on hop off bus each day as they traveled with a similar group size in the UK.
a restaurant. Yea we thought about the challenges with getting tables for food, we figured we would eat breakfast and dinner back at the apartment. Occasionally we would eat out for dinner and grab something quick for lunch that we would not need to sit down to eat.
Make sure you reserve hotel rooms far in advance. It's a high season there. We have been able to find 3-4 Bedroom air-bib's that can accomodate us comfortably.
Anyone speaks French or Italian? Kids are well behaved? (I don't want to sound callous, but people aren't very tolerant of misbehaving kids especially in nice restaurants or museums). Nope just english and spanish. Service is generally slow, because patrons don't want to be rushed. This might be a problem with our 2 year old, getting him to sit still at a restaurant has been very difficult, however he has gotten better. Plan b is to use a tablet and let him watch something

Make sure you discuss the travel with your pediatrician - food is different there. Have basic travel meds with you. will do!

Last edited by xism; 08-22-2019 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel