Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 01:45 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Not all Americans are 'expensive' travelers. I'm sure you rub shoulders with 'Thrifty travelers' from the Americas.

The majority of 'serious' USA travelers (< 2 +months / yr away from work and USA) get by very inexpensively.

Stereo-typically... Americans are on a short vacation schedule and try to do too much too fast, and that comes at a cost.

Then there are those (as I), who take months or even yrs away from USA traveling affordably. (We ate out 'fancy' 2x and stayed in only 8 hotels (due to early flights) when overseas for one yr. and we are not 'kids' anymore... age 60+) Total cost for 2 <$40k and most of that was campervan and car rentals.
^^this

Several times I have had to pay 3x what it *could cost to go somewhere because I need to accommodate my very (VERY!!) little vacation time. I end up utilizing every 3 day weekend we get which is then more expensive, and cannot have the long/multiple layovers that you can sometimes get with cheaper airfare
Hotel- yes, I'd be open to a hostel, etc, and hubby and I often stay in the cheapest hotel in a bad neighborhood to save money, but when the kids are with us, this gets much harder.

Last edited by MarshaBrady1968; 08-23-2019 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2019, 02:06 PM

4,620 posts, read 4,887,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Bali is the obvious answer here, it's always full of Australians on vacation because they can get relatively cheap airfare.

Much like the Caribbean for Americans. I could fly to Jamaica next month for less than $300 rt. Less than $400 for almost anywhere between Panama and Texas (Cancun, Aruba, Barbados, etc)

Old 08-23-2019, 02:52 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
In my case, money is not what's limiting my travel - time off of work is. So why go with budget options when it won't help me travel more frequently, and when domestic first/international business-class airfare and mid-range accommodations make the trips I do have the time to take more enjoyable?

Old 08-23-2019, 03:27 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,722 times
I travel cheaply whenever possible. That being said, I draw the line at shared hostel-style communal-room lodging or sleazy fleabag hotels. You can stay inexpensively without doing so.

I also like to try local food, though luckily my taste runs towards inexpensive cuisine like BBQ or chili or veggie burgers. Big splurge restaurants are only occasionally on my travel itinerary.

I normally don’t do guided tours unless it’s to a place where I have to drive, which I don’t do anymore. I also take public transportation or walk, never rent a car.

If I want to see an attraction, I pay the going rate, though I sometimes qualify for a discount (which I always take). I also take advantage of free opening times or online deals when available.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:01 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I also like to try local food, though luckily my taste runs towards inexpensive cuisine like BBQ or chili or veggie burgers. Big splurge restaurants are only occasionally on my travel itinerary.

I normally don’t do guided tours unless it’s to a place where I have to drive, which I don’t do anymore. I also take public transportation or walk, never rent a car.
DH and I got into the habit of buying stuff for dinner at a local grocery store early in our travels. It was always nice to settle into our room for the night with dinner and a bottle of wine. I'm on my own now and still do that. Restaurants aren't a big priority. Sometimes I'll use on in a museum I'm visiting- it helps support the museum.

I do enjoy small local tours- the kind advertised by flyers or posters. They're usually interesting and inexpensive. I'm less enamored of the fancier activities- helicopter tours, ziplining, etc.

Old 08-23-2019, 04:23 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There is a stigma in corporate America about taking vacation, period. There are lots of people who have vacation time racked up, but are afraid to take more than a week at a time.

And more and more young people wind up in the "gig economy" where there is no vacation at all. A day not working is a day not paid.
I have 5 weeks of vacation - but no one I work with likes to take more than one week at a time because you come back to SO MUCH WORK. You will be the next month working like a maniac just trying to catch up from that one week.

That said, I did go to England with my son and I LOVED IT. I definitely want do travel more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I don't consider public transport and self-guided tours to be particularly "budget", nor 3 star hotels. But - I'll be dam*ed if I spend good money to travel out of the country and then do all self-guided tours and getting little real information from it. Also, I'm not 18 - no youth hostels or sharing baths for me. Oh, yes, there are now upgraded hostels but then why not just stay at a cheaper hotel?

BTW, preachy attitudes don't sell well, here or anywhere. You travel how you like as will others. Many people just plain don't like to travel and the easiest excuses are "too expensive" or "no time".
I'm with you. Part of the fun, for me, is staying at a nice hotel (not necessarily the NICEST hotel but still nice) and I'm way too old for any kind of hostel. (Not to mention all those Hostel movies I watched)

I like to do some tours and then just have some free days to explore too.

Old 08-23-2019, 05:55 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Many people won't even "budget travel" in their own state. There was a recent thread about motels, here on CD & I was surprised at how many people refuse to stay in cheap motels. We always stay in cheap motels, if I am booking the trip. The way I see it, that gives me more money for another trip.
Yep, and I like them better as long as they don't have cardboard thin walls. It's easier coming and going with your car parked closer and not having to traipse through a big lobby all the time.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:16 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
One reasons I get thrown back when I have asked about reasons Americans don't go abroad is the one reason they throw back at me and what I have observed when I travel abroad and what I have read online and what they tell me and others is that its too expensive, well I call that bull, you can get cheap flights, go to backpacker/youth hostels or lowered star (1-3) hotels, catch public transport and walk around, take self guided tours and the alike. to me Americans go on coach tours, stay in upmarket hotels/resorts, and take expensive flights. why don't they cut costs and then they could travel more??? Why must they insist in making it expensive, I don't get it??? I'm an Aussie budget traveller who does the following as I describe above??? just wondering???
Are you describing the adventures of a poor 22-year old? Hostels? Backpacking? Sorry, I can't even comprehend it.

I can just see my wife now if I mentioned this style of travel. We like nice accommodations and memorable meals.

But enjoy your travels.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:55 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
One reasons I get thrown back when I have asked about reasons Americans don't go abroad is the one reason they throw back at me and what I have observed when I travel abroad and what I have read online and what they tell me and others is that its too expensive, well I call that bull, you can get cheap flights, go to backpacker/youth hostels or lowered star (1-3) hotels, catch public transport and walk around, take self guided tours and the alike. to me Americans go on coach tours, stay in upmarket hotels/resorts, and take expensive flights. why don't they cut costs and then they could travel more??? Why must they insist in making it expensive, I don't get it??? I'm an Aussie budget traveller who does the following as I describe above??? just wondering???
They don't WANT to backpack or stay in crappy hotels and take flights that are red-eyes, or long layovers...how is that not obvious??

I have no issues with public transportation. I love subways, and rely on them anytime I am in a city that has them. Generally don't take buses, but my sis and I took the public bus from Santorini to Oia last year, it cost 1.60, and oh what a ride it was. Fabulous. I generally prefer self-touring, but the group touring can be wonderful - no need to figure out passes and times and transportation...it's all done for you. I never mind paying for a decent hotel - I will not stay anywhere that I don't feel is clean and safe and quiet.

Old 08-23-2019, 06:57 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
WalMart considered having a travel desk, but everybody just wanted to go to Branson.
Right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel