Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2019, 02:38 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Keep the moth shut about your travels then. I definitely don't brag much about it. In the US people dont have a ton of vacation and some people dont even like to travel outside US, so either way I keep my mouth shut because they would either be envious or non interested.
Real friends should be happy for you though. You shouldn't have to keep quiet just b/c you travel.

My friends made different choices in life. I have some who say stuff also but they could have made the choices I did … not have kids for example. Kids limit you somewhat when it comes to travel. I've made travel a priority, my friends have not.

I don't think ppl have a right to say things … but it's human nature so they always will.

What I hate is how ppl say "how do you have all this $$ to travel?" a) none of your business and b) travel is only expensive if you make it so. There are ways to travel very cheaply. Most ppl just don't want to be bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2019, 08:56 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Real friends should be happy for you though. You shouldn't have to keep quiet just b/c you travel.

My friends made different choices in life. I have some who say stuff also but they could have made the choices I did … not have kids for example. Kids limit you somewhat when it comes to travel. I've made travel a priority, my friends have not.

I don't think ppl have a right to say things … but it's human nature so they always will.

What I hate is how ppl say "how do you have all this $$ to travel?" a) none of your business and b) travel is only expensive if you make it so. There are ways to travel very cheaply. Most ppl just don't want to be bothered.
Absolutely. Its been years since I paid cash for an airfare. I do them all on frequent flyer miles I've obtained in different ways.

Old 09-04-2019, 07:28 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,156,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRiteMA98 View Post
Keep the moth shut about your travels then. I definitely don't brag much about it. In the US people dont have a ton of vacation and some people dont even like to travel outside US, so either way I keep my mouth shut because they would either be envious or non interested.
Disagree completely. Just like with any other topic of conversation, you need to know your audience.

Using your logic you may as well confine your conversations to the weather or bitching about how your boss is a dick. That's fine for casual company, but if you're talking to your actual friends, you shouldn't have to walk on eggshells.

Old 09-04-2019, 09:04 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

As I said the last time this topic came up, travel hacking is right up there with crossfit and vegan and paleo diets when it comes to subjects that will bore the heck out of anyone who is outside that particular world.

"You see I managed to hit transfer bonuses for both my AmEx Member Rewards and Chase rewards points for Flying Blue. And then I waited it out until there was a special promotional offer to redeem my Flying Blue points on Air Kenya, which had a code share with Aeroflot that was operated by Garuda Indonesia that just happened to work on out dates an then I dipped into my Qantas stash of miles- they're usually a really awful redemption option but do have five or six sweet spots on partner airlines that I will now tell you about in great detail... Are you okay? Your eyes were closing there"

Old 09-04-2019, 09:25 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
^^^Too funny! And so very true!

Old 09-04-2019, 09:48 AM

4,269 posts, read 8,171,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
As I said the last time this topic came up, travel hacking is right up there with crossfit and vegan and paleo diets when it comes to subjects that will bore the heck out of anyone who is outside that particular world.

"You see I managed to hit transfer bonuses for both my AmEx Member Rewards and Chase rewards points for Flying Blue. And then I waited it out until there was a special promotional offer to redeem my Flying Blue points on Air Kenya, which had a code share with Aeroflot that was operated by Garuda Indonesia that just happened to work on out dates an then I dipped into my Qantas stash of miles- they're usually a really awful redemption option but do have five or six sweet spots on partner airlines that I will now tell you about in great detail... Are you okay? Your eyes were closing there"
So true.. I would say I am an amateur in that world and 98% of people who ask how I travel for so cheap I can see their eyes glaze over as I mention how.

the other 2% end up traveling for free!

Old 09-04-2019, 11:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
I think people should stay where they live, instead of traveling the world and destroying the environment in the process, not to mention locals' lives. Tourism has become a plight...

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...owhere-to-live

Old 09-09-2019, 06:30 AM

7,594 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Have you ever received any jealousy or resentment from others (friends, family, coworkers) when coming back from a vacation? Especially for those who travel alot?
Yes. Read my posts here, on the religion section, and a blog about my dysfunctional family.

My father traveled for business. He hated it. Since he hated it, then in his mind, NO ONE should enjoy it.

My mom hated travel as well. Her problem was probably more religious. Since she was surrounded by like minded religious types, who viewed travel as she did, then of course, those who showed up for a visit at our house were unhappy that someone was out exploring a world which did not include them, and was having fun in the process, whilst they were home being miserable.

Old 05-01-2020, 03:42 PM

460 posts, read 232,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Resentment from others for travelling

Only here on C--D, from the 'travel kings and queens' of the world. ("do-it-my-way, everyone else's way in the world is 'INVALID'"

Eventually they too will die. Or get so busy traveling, or waiting in queue that they forget to post. (and steer the discussions)

They are not informers, they are controllers (possibly ex- managers who still need to boss everyone around to feel important.)

Friends and other people you actually meet and converse have a very different response. (active Dialog vs 'bossing')
Can't rep you enough. You certainly had been an informer on this forum, generously sharing valuable information so many times in your posts.
I'd say one should avoid living or working in places where people are small-minded, envious, deprived of wider life's interests yokel types, to the point that they resent anyone traveling, for any reason, and avoid any personal association with them. My best advice to them is to relocate to North Korea, where they could live under like-minded government.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:44 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,516,069 times
I traveled the USA extensively for work. We no longer travel domestically as we don't see many places of interest.

My wife and I have been on dozens of cruises all over the world. That includes 3 overseas trips.

And I've been traveling to Europe for 50 years.

If someone resents someone that's had the money and time to go so many places, I'm sorry. Screw'em
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel