Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 09:31 AM

1,494 posts, read 1,669,925 times

Advertisements

On an Android phone you can use OSMAnd, which gives directions and maps all offline. You can customize pins and categorize them. One downside is that often foreign locations are only given in the local language, which are often different from English, so you have to make sure you know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 11:31 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,763,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
haha thanks. I am sure Google maps will be fine, I was just trying to see if there was a way of customizing a little more so that I can get to the point that I can make a selection and get directions.

Just trying to not stand out as a tourist typing into my phone all day!
I use Google maps on my phone while traveling but not in the detailed way you described. I think it is fun to get a bit lost and wander around trying to find the place I want to get to. You end up seeing some cool things that way rather then just running from point A to point B.

Old 09-05-2019, 12:00 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
Google maps will let you download directions from point a to b, "in case of spotty cell coverage." It keeps the maps for at least a month.

I do love Google maps, it finds the best route to my door. Garmin takes you down a gnarly dirt road when there is a paved road a block away, and Apple maps takes you to the disconnected chunk of road on the other side of the hill.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:07 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Google maps will let you download directions from point a to b, "in case of spotty cell coverage." It keeps the maps for at least a month.

I do love Google maps, it finds the best route to my door. Garmin takes you down a gnarly dirt road when there is a paved road a block away, and Apple maps takes you to the disconnected chunk of road on the other side of the hill.
Please advise where to get 'Google Maps' training to keep you off gnarly roads / ghettos.

I am still trying to figure out how to 'pause / suspend' G-Maps so I can take a detour for fuel / food.

Also how to keep it on track and tell you when you messed up. (missed a turn). It seems to 'auto-correct' rather than say... "Your 10 minute trip just became 45 min because you missed a turn 5 seconds ago" Consider turning around!.

Any assistance / tutoring appreciated.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:12 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,187,363 times
Consider utilizing WAZE, too. I think they are owned by Google, but they show you where speed camera traps are and where red light cameras. WAZE is also interactive and lets users input where they see police when driving along a route. I always have WAZE up even if I know the area for this exact reason.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
My first go at it was to create my own map (My Places > Map) and drop a pin everywhere we need to go. I am able to label each location with my own naming convention (to keep things in chronological order). The issue that I'm having is that when you open the map, you can view the legend but you can't click on the location to get directions.
I'm not sure what platform you are using to create your maps. I use Windows and have no problem dropping a pin and keying a custom label, custom icon, and custom icon color. I then group each days pins in different layers so I can see all of them or only the days I select.

I can also map from point to point to point and select "walking" so it will map out a walking path between my planned points.

When I view that map on my phone I can't get it to give me directions but I can look at the actual path so it is easy to follow when walking.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:44 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,366,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Please advise where to get 'Google Maps' training to keep you off gnarly roads / ghettos.

I am still trying to figure out how to 'pause / suspend' G-Maps so I can take a detour for fuel / food.

Also how to keep it on track and tell you when you messed up. (missed a turn). It seems to 'auto-correct' rather than say... "Your 10 minute trip just became 45 min because you missed a turn 5 seconds ago" Consider turning around!.

Any assistance / tutoring appreciated.
Once you hit "start" so Google maps (I call her Gigi LaTour) talks you through the route, there's an arrow at the bottom of the screen. Clicking that gives you options like step by step directions and adding stops.

If you have the talking (hands free) going, it plays a warning sound when you go off route, and reroutes or tells you to turn around.

I don't know about the gnarly roads/ghetto avoidance; that would probably keep me from getting home. I live on a dirt road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel