Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 01:52 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Lol...I have a friend who travels with an entire set of bed linens bc she won't sleep on anyone else's.

Given the fancypants hotels they stay in, it cracks me up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2019, 01:53 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peta2013 View Post
Minor pet peeve - the housekeepers at some hotels tuck the sheets and blankets in with some sort of industrial machine. As a taller person my feet are uncomfortable pinned down. I have to tear the bed apart so get comfortable.
I'm only 5'6" and I feel short-sheeted all the time.

Old 09-14-2019, 03:01 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
When I travel I find that I really prefer not to sleep on spring mattresses. I have been a memory foam or other type of foam mattress devotee for a decade now as I have some neck and shoulder problems that lead to headaches and backaches. I bring my own pillow and look for places that have non-spring mattresses. If I can't sleep, which can be difficult with jet lag and other issues, I'm normally miserable.

Duvets also freak me out though I grew up with them. I need a top sheet and light blanket. I bring my own when I go to Europe or places where duvets are common.

Does anyone have preferences about the type of bed/bedding or matress they look for upon travel?

Definitely like a top sheet and washable blanket. Firm mattress too.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:02 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Definitely like a top sheet and washable blanket. Firm mattress too.
Duvet in Asia (@88F) seems a little overkill... Unless you have AC down to 17C or so.

Often no top sheet, just a 'comforter' / Duvet, good to - 10F.
https://www.wayfair.com/keyword.php?...ed+duvet+cover

Doesn't keep me up worrying about it... I adapt. (I understand every hour of sleep you lose comes off the TAIL end of your life ... OK, great... Better then (dead) than NOW (alive). Use every hour 'productively', your days are numbered.

My 'travel sleep' expectation changed significantly when I started traveling with locals in Asia and Europe
They often leave late at night on a bus / or train with the understanding they 'ride' / sleep through the night and arrive at destination fit and fresh at sunrise and ready for 'vacation'. Saves them hotel bills and wasted time on each leg of trip. Many times transit trains and buses ONLY take those routes at late night.

We got so that as a family living in Europe, we would board the train after 10 PM and ride to furthest destination overnight, then backtrack locations during the next day. This only required ONE train ticket for 26 hrs of use. Creatively, you can arrive back to work on Monday AM, just in time to report for duty, (if there is not a national union protest / strike (as there is today, and often)).

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-14-2019 at 07:13 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 04:32 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lol...I have a friend who travels with an entire set of bed linens bc she won't sleep on anyone else's.

Given the fancypants hotels they stay in, it cracks me up.
LOL!!! I so want to invest in a hotel and call It FANCYPANTS Hotel . Can you imagine the logo for that place

Old 09-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
It's not the quality of the hotel thats in question. I just don't like spring mattresses. Most hotels advertise their bags and mist hotels use spring (even worse pillowtop spring).This is one of the reasons years ago that I tried Airbnb. I saw a listing that advertised memory foam and couldn't get one in a hotel.

Cleanliness goes without saying. But that's not the subject of this thread
It's unlikely you would feel the springs in a hand made bed, in the UK beds and mattresses which have a Royal Warrants of Appointment supply the royal court or certain royal personage. In other words they are good enogh for the Royal family.

Such companies include Hypnos, Sleepeezee, Glencraft Luxury Mattresses, Vispring etc etc.

You should not feel the springs in these Mattresses, indeed they weigh a ton and are very expensive, so you only usually find them at more upmarket hotels.

Sleeping beauties: are these the world's best beds? - The Telegraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Per the bolded --- We did several cross country trip during the 90s. I always took my own pillow on these trips. Back then, bed bugs weren't a problem as they are now. Due to that, I no longer take my own pillow with me.
Which is why it's alwaysa worth doing some research and looking at on-line reviews as no one wants to stay in a dirty hotel room.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-15-2019 at 06:22 AM..

Old 09-15-2019, 07:44 AM

829 posts, read 629,262 times
I can see where the hotels have difficulty catering to the wishes and needs of the many. I have herniated discs in my neck, so I travel with a miniature contour pillow that matches the one I use at home. While I mourn the space it takes up in my suitcase, my neck is more important than my wardrobe.

I was dismayed when many hotel chains followed what we'd encountered in European travel by giving guests only a duvet with no top sheet. Most of the time, I find the duvet heavier and warmer than comfortable, not to mention having doubts about how many people slept with them atop them before me, as I know they're not laundered all that often. A top sheet provides a layer between me (and others) and the duvet - and I like having something atop me while sleeping. In SOME hotels, cruises, etc., you can request a top sheet if you're not provided with one - and maybe you get one and maybe you don't. I'm going to start traveling with a top sheet ... but before long, I'll have an entire piece of luggage filled with bedding.

Like others, I often don't sleep well the first night and think that's more because of unfamiliar surroundings than the bedding itself. I've been fairly lucky that most of the mattresses we've had at various types of lodging have been fairly firm and comfortable. The worst is a saggy or overly soft mattress - at least for me.

As Dorothy said - "there's no place like home, there's no place like home".

Old 09-15-2019, 08:08 AM

8,149 posts, read 8,348,424 times
At home, I’m like the princess and the pea story —- anything not perfect about my bed and it must be dealt with immediately. But when I travel, once I’ve made reservations (and I always read reviews, especially looking for comments about beds) I turn off the princess switch. Sometimes I have a less comfy sleep but I have seriously decided if I am going to get out there in the world and not be a brat, I am going to embrace what I cannot quickly modify. And I always sleep ok. Much of it is attitude.

Old 09-15-2019, 01:45 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
The joy of traveling with a travel trailer is that you have things the way you want them, or you are free to change them.
That is difficult to do in overseas travel.

I traveled via hotels while working for 20 years. I do not miss it.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I've got a little bit of creakiness in my neck from 15 years of competitive swimming. Therm-a-rest makes a really awesome compressible travel pillow made from scraps of memory foam that really is quite comfortable once you unroll it and give it a little bit of time for it to fluff up. It's made hotel stays so much more pleasant for me and also works well on planes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel