Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 08:24 PM

153 posts, read 248,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
So they just raise the room prices, it won’t make much difference. Fortunately I only go for a week each year and it’s for a conference, so the company pays for it.
How nice for you...but for everyone else, it's deceptive pricing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2019, 10:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
There is plenty of history of regulation is similar circumstances over the years. I'm too lazy to google them all for you.
What if they call it a service charge? How about a convenience fee? Could their be a demand charge? There could be a hundred names used and good luck getting a court to say all of them are illegal.

I buy more room nights on the Strip than probably all of you. I don't care what they call the cost, I know it's there and it's always very clearly stated to me these days. When it first started I agree they were very sneaky about it but those days are long past. If the charges are disclosed then this is merely a higher room rate to me and my business. It's still a good deal to stay on the Strip on most weekdays so I will continue doing it. If the real cost I paid went way up then it would be time to reconsider. In other words do what we do in a free market system.

Old 09-29-2019, 10:49 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
The rule should be based on whether the fee is mandatory (not optional like parking) and not paid to the government. And, really taxes and any other government fees should be included also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
What if they call it a service charge? How about a convenience fee? Could their be a demand charge? There could be a hundred names used and good luck getting a court to say all of them are illegal.

I buy more room nights on the Strip than probably all of you. I don't care what they call the cost, I know it's there and it's always very clearly stated to me these days. When it first started I agree they were very sneaky about it but those days are long past. If the charges are disclosed then this is merely a higher room rate to me and my business. It's still a good deal to stay on the Strip on most weekdays so I will continue doing it. If the real cost I paid went way up then it would be time to reconsider. In other words do what we do in a free market system.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 AM

779 posts, read 471,467 times
Quote:

Listen to this guy.

He buys more nights on the strip than all ya'll.

Argument over.

Old 09-30-2019, 02:33 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,463,105 times
Buys??? I thought he was on the sell side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuff80 View Post
Listen to this guy.

He buys more nights on the strip than all ya'll.

Argument over.

Old 10-01-2019, 08:04 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Quote:

How many hotel rooms do you buy in a year?

Old 10-01-2019, 09:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
I don't see how this law could be legal. What other industries are required by law to show the components of their charges and not allowed to have some certain charge given? I get the complaints, but this is the free market here. When you buy something retail does it make sense to say I hate that I'm not told how much the price is with tax included? Sorry but I could see the courts laughing their rear ends off and blowing this legislation to the moon.
The airline industry for one- ticket pricing has been all-in for mandatory charges and fees for years. (Baggage and seat assignment charges are optional) And given how long that's been in place, it's likely gone the courts route and being used as a model for the hotels here.

It's actually nice how in the parts of Europe I've stayed it's all-in pricing from the first quote. Unlike, say, Alabama where you have to click through to discover that there's a 20% tax rate applied to properties in some cities there.

Old 10-01-2019, 06:51 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
Probably need to fix the price of goods and services to include the sales tax rate too, you know, like how the rest of the developed world does.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,877,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
How many hotel rooms do you buy in a year?
On pace for about 60 nights this year. So my company is paying over $2,000 in resort fees and I don't even go to have a resort experience. But considering about half the nights the room rate is less than or about half of the resort fee I don't see the point in complaining.

For an example I just had to pay $164/night in an old Radisson in need of a serious refresh in the middle of New Jersey. Would all of you been happier paying that "transparent rate" instead of $35/night plus $39/fee for a much nicer room at Bally's on the Strip that I stayed at the night before flying out to NJ? Go look up Radisson Freehold, its in the middle of the state far from much you'd want to see and its rated 4-star, but without question Bally's rooms are far superior.

Old 10-02-2019, 03:19 AM

638 posts, read 593,618 times
Quote:
On pace for about 60 nights this year. So my company is paying over $2,000 in resort fees and I don't even go to have a resort experience. But considering about half the nights the room rate is less than or about half of the resort fee I don't see the point in complaining.

For an example I just had to pay $164/night in an old Radisson in need of a serious refresh in the middle of New Jersey. Would all of you been happier paying that "transparent rate" instead of $35/night plus $39/fee for a much nicer room at Bally's on the Strip that I stayed at the night before flying out to NJ? Go look up Radisson Freehold, its in the middle of the state far from much you'd want to see and its rated 4-star, but without question Bally's rooms are far superior.

You seem to be completely missing the point about this.

No one is arguing that the price will change, which is the tangent you seem to have gone off on. The point is that the consumer is now better able to compare the prices offered by a variety of vendors much more effectively. Whilst you and everyone else on a nice expense account wouldn't notice the difference anyway, plenty of people on a budget going on vacation like to know what they're paying for their hotel, before they've flown in, landed, and lugged their bags to the reception desk.

To take your example I'd rather be checking into Bally's knowing that I have a $74 room booked, then check in having budgeted for a $35 room and then being told that actually its $74.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel