Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:55 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Good idea. I was thinking Split was too ambitious for a 2 week trip.

I visited the area 3 yrs ago and have suggestions. There is a hamlet north of the lakes called Rastoke, which I loved immensely. It's a Hansel and Gretel village set among the same water features you find in Pvitlice. I stayed at the Guest House Vuceta which has a presence on google maps. One review says "elegant" - I found it to be modest as you can see by the photos but the most amazing setting. Rastoke is essentially a neighborhood north of the village of Slunj.

I bought a 2 day pass to the lakes, I wouldn't have been physically able to handle all the walking in one day. So in between I stayed at a guest house in the tiny community of Korana which is downstream from the lakes. Very much off the beaten path but still close by.

Another place she will find memorable is the Predjama Castle SW of Ljublijana. Lots of steps so be prepared for that.

Another vote for the Vintgar gorge which is near Bled.
This is so very helpful as well - thank you creeksitter!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 04:48 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,137,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Love this suggestion; thank you. It's actually less expensive to fly round trip into and out of Ljubljana, so between that and the one way car rental fees, I think we're going to skip Split and the southern Croatian coast and instead stay up north. Split 2 weeks among Bled, Ljubljana, a town in Istria such as Rovinj, and Plitvice Lakes. Interested in Trieste as well but with a 7 year old child I'd prefer not to change hotels a million times.
I think that plan is more reasonable than going all the way down to Split and being hit with one-way cross-country fees. Rovinj is gorgeous and should be great in early September. We were a bit disappointed by the other city further south (which somehow offends citydata’s profanity blocker) although the amphiteather is impressive. However, beaches on the west side of Istria are not quite as great as they are in the islands, so you might consider including a few days on Krk or Cres/Losinj, or around Crikvenica, which you will go through on the way to Plitvice.

We liked Rastoke as well. Trieste is nothing special except the grand canal area.

You mentioned hotels but you have to know that Croatia is apartment rental heaven (check booking.com or airbnb). There are some hotels but the quality and variety of choices will be much greater with apartment rentals, and we’ve had many positive experiences there. Ljubljana has a bunch of nice boutique hotels right in the middle of the city but elsewhere you’ll probably find that apartments are cheaper and better than hotels.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I think that plan is more reasonable than going all the way down to Split and being hit with one-way cross-country fees. Rovinj is gorgeous and should be great in early September. We were a bit disappointed by the other city further south (which somehow offends citydata’s profanity blocker) although the amphiteather is impressive. However, beaches on the west side of Istria are not quite as great as they are in the islands, so you might consider including a few days on Krk or Cres/Losinj, or around Crikvenica, which you will go through on the way to Plitvice.

We liked Rastoke as well. Trieste is nothing special except the grand canal area.

You mentioned hotels but you have to know that Croatia is apartment rental heaven (check booking.com or airbnb). There are some hotels but the quality and variety of choices will be much greater with apartment rentals, and we’ve had many positive experiences there. Ljubljana has a bunch of nice boutique hotels right in the middle of the city but elsewhere you’ll probably find that apartments are cheaper and better than hotels.
Thanks again Barney - great info!

Old 10-19-2019, 03:16 PM

211 posts, read 409,552 times
For hote!s, I liked hotel adora in Ljubljana, it's right on the upper edge of the old town area, right below the castle, they have both traditional rooms and apartments, I stayed in both and liked them.
If you do make it to roving in croatia, hotel delfin. was nice, especially if you get the water view rooms, and it's a couple minutes walk to old town.

Old 10-21-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969351 View Post
For hote!s, I liked hotel adora in Ljubljana, it's right on the upper edge of the old town area, right below the castle, they have both traditional rooms and apartments, I stayed in both and liked them.
If you do make it to roving in croatia, hotel delfin. was nice, especially if you get the water view rooms, and it's a couple minutes walk to old town.
Awesome, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel