Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 11:06 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,662,296 times

Advertisements

At my age, any flight over 4 hours is torture.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:26 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I think some say it because they watch too much Fox News and are paranoid and think everyone hates Americans, some don't have the money to go abroad, some only travel to visit family, some only go to destinations like Vegas or Disney World, some are afraid of language barriers, and some just genuinely have no interest. Lots of reasons for this.
And usually these fears are not founded. It often doesn't cost any more to go to Europe than some domestic destination. There is enough English spoken in tourist areas to get by. We never experienced hatred for Americans--though we did disavow the current admin. wherever we went, just to be on the safe side.

But if one is not interested in different cultures or historical areas, I guess they think "why bother".

It's a LONG flight for Americans, but it is for Aussies, too.

Old 10-19-2019, 11:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
And usually these fears are not founded. It often doesn't cost any more to go to Europe than some domestic destination. There is enough English spoken in tourist areas to get by. We never experienced hatred for Americans--though we did disavow the current admin. wherever we went, just to be on the safe side.

But if one is not interested in different cultures or historical areas, I guess they think "why bother".

In my experience, it's cheaper. Or at least it's cheaper the places we go and the way we travel.

On our next quick trip in May, we're paying $130/night for an AirBnB apartment a few blocks south of Notre Dame. The AirBnB apartment in Porto in the center of everything last week was $80/night. Venice was a bit of a splurge with an AirBnB apartment on a canal right off the Grand Canal for $140/night. Florence a couple blocks from the Ponte Vecchio was $140/night. Lisbon in Alfama was $95/night. Heathrow airport hotels are usually between $80 and $100 on a weekend prepaid rate and that includes breakfast.

Generally, we don't need to rent cars. We use trains, public transportation, and Uber. Modest restaurants tend to have great local food at reasonable prices. Awful chain restaurant food like Olive Garden is more expensive, particularly if you are drinking wine.

I've flow to Sydney a couple of times. From Boston, that's a painful distance and I've flown business class. Same for Asia trips. As a recent retiree, I really don't have the points in airline programs to burn on business class flights. My life is too short to ever do that trip in an economy seat.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:16 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
I'm presuming by "Americans", the OP is referencing residents of the United States? Technically, "Americans" would also include Canadians and folks living in South America such as Bolivians and such? Although, I'm not sure what term would be better to be used, since "folks living in the United States" is a mouthful. Kinda hard on Canadians and the folks living in South America, though, to be classed in with the rest of those other Americans.

America is huge and diverse, but there does seem to be a type of resident of the United States which doesn't want to travel to foreign shores. A lot of them won't even travel very far within the U.S., from what I've noticed. I suspect a lot of it has to do with them being uncomfortable with people who aren't exactly like themselves, however, that's just a conjecture on my part. As a resident of Hawaii, technically we'd be in the "American" classification even though we don't live on that continent. We get a lot of folks from over there visiting here and they keep referring to 'back in the states' as if Hawaii isn't a state as well. They seem pretty jumpy and somewhat excited to be somewhere 'strange and foreign' and this is just Hawaii which technically is the same country they live in as well. I'm sure they'd act the same way in Alaska.

Folks visiting from Australia generally seem much more comfortable here than some of the folks visiting from the mainland United States. Maybe Australia sees itself as an island so we're all 'islanders' together?

Old 10-19-2019, 12:28 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I'm presuming by "Americans", the OP is referencing residents of the United States? Technically, "Americans" would also include Canadians and folks living in South America such as Bolivians and such? Although, I'm not sure what term would be better to be used, since "folks living in the United States" is a mouthful. Kinda hard on Canadians and the folks living in South America, though, to be classed in with the rest of those other Americans.

Americans is the correct term for people living in the United States of America, the only country that cared enough to make it part of the country name. The term "folks living in the United States" would be grossly misleading as Mexico is composed of 34 states and the name of the country is Estados Unidos Mexicanos. There is a difference between "North Americans" and "Americans".

Old 10-19-2019, 12:35 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Generalizing. I watch Fox News and I have been to many European countries including Turkey and so have many other friends of the same political views. I think time is probably more of a concern than cost while cost is a concern if you have a lot of kids. Most of our travel began in the years leading up to and after retirement where time is not of concern. If one works and one has kids they are limited in the time they can travel. A working parent may only have a week they can take at a time during the summer so that every parent can take time off. Personally we travel in September to get great weather and avoid families traveling. If you have kids you may not fly(and frankly I prefer they don't) and instead drive to vacation destinations. Some people don't even travel far. They go to beaches near them for vacations every year and are quite happy with that. Generalizing between Fox News and non Fox News watchers is silly and just not true. I know many liberals who haven't left New England. As to "hatred" for Americans I would say people in Paris are somewhat snobby in regards to Americans while if you go to the Normandy area they love Americans. I feel no need to disavow anything nor do I feel the need to talk about politics, religion or any other touchy topic when traveling. I came to see the country and eat the food not discuss politics. It is one thing I enjoy about being in another country. Lack of US tv stations.

Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
I don't know anyone who says that.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:02 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
I hear thats one reason cited for not going overseas/abroad. I'm an Australian, my country Australia is also big, has a variety of climates, landscapes, scenery, etc etc along those lines, but I haven't heard any of my fellow Aussies claim that as a reason for not going overseas. why do Americans use that excuse??? sure you have your beaches, your mountains, your cities, your deserts, your snowy places, your tropical weather, your temperate weather, etc, etc, but surely travel is a whole lot more deeper than merely experiencing a different landscapes, climates or scenery, city, etc, its more about the people and their history, culture, customs, food, etc, etc. It seems like an excuse to absolve them of their ignorance about what the rest of the world has to offer because if they did travel abroad they wouldn't be using that excuse . ??? any thoughts???
I haven't heard anyone say that, but anyone who does is an idiot. Very few of my friends and acquaintances are idiots, but I do realize that a vast number of my fellow citizens are. It doesn't surprise me that a bunch of ignorant rednecks would think this. Look who they voted into the White House.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:10 PM

44,353 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
We also have plenty of those to explore and learn about without leaving the country.

This topic has been done to death. Recently, as a matter of fact. When the average American has two weeks of vacation a year, it makes international travel difficult.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veniceman View Post
Please try to avoid generalizations. Many Americans are world travelers and are quite knowledgeable about the world outside the USA.
What they said ^ . It's never a good thing to make sweeping generalizations about any group of people. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel