Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 12:41 PM

6,747 posts, read 5,042,545 times

Advertisements

Assuming tourism will continue to increase, I'd prefer that everyone visit the same handful of attractions. That will leave plenty of uncrowded and unspoiled places to enjoy.

A few years ago we spent two weeks in Italy. One of those weeks was near a small Umbrian village. It was very scenic and relaxing. No planning and buying tickets months in advance. Each day was planned over breakfast, according to the weather and our mood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 01:33 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Tourists are all going the same place. Go someplace else. Don't plan anything. Nothing's been spoiled off the beaten track.

I had mo trouble walking off the street in July finding a nice hostel bunk in Chisinau, Odessa, Batumi, Tbilisi, Yerevan. I have no doubt that every hotel had plenty of same-day vacancies.

You don't have to go off the beaten track. You just have to avoid peak touron season. We were in Galicia a couple of weeks ago. It's flooded with Madrid summer people in July/August escaping the summer heat. By the end of September, it's deserted. We were in a Michelin one star for lunch on a Thursday. It was private dining. We were the only customers. The locals are working. The tourists are gone.

We did the cliche Rome/Florence/Venice thing in mid-May. My girlfriend hadn't done it. It wasn't overrun other than San Marco. If we'd really cared, we could have gotten there early before the tour groups and done the Basilica and Doge's Palace with no queue. We were on Murano for a half day. It was pretty much deserted at that time of year.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:29 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You don't have to go off the beaten track. You just have to avoid peak touron season. We were in Galicia a couple of weeks ago. It's flooded with Madrid summer people in July/August escaping the summer heat. By the end of September, it's deserted. We were in a Michelin one star for lunch on a Thursday. It was private dining. We were the only customers. The locals are working. The tourists are gone.

We did the cliche Rome/Florence/Venice thing in mid-May. My girlfriend hadn't done it. It wasn't overrun other than San Marco. If we'd really cared, we could have gotten there early before the tour groups and done the Basilica and Doge's Palace with no queue. We were on Murano for a half day. It was pretty much deserted at that time of year.
People can usually go WHERE they want, but not WHEN they want.

Old 10-24-2019, 07:53 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Quote:
I hosted some Euro visitors last month & they wanted to see the High Line Park here. We got up early & got there as soon as it opened & had a pretty nice couple of hours without much congestion, but by the time we were done around 10am it was noticeably getting very crowded. And this was the end of September too.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:09 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post

Some destinations are only worth visiting during peak season.

Few people want to visit Alaska in December for a good reason.

Old 10-24-2019, 09:24 PM

2,603 posts, read 3,398,438 times
You can thank disrespectful tourists and over tourism for this. A lot of people just don't know how to behave themselves when they visit another country and the locals are getting fed up with it. I like the fact that several countries are putting a limit on tourism. You are not entitled to see or visit any place you want. It's a privilege.

Old 10-24-2019, 11:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:
I'm married to a college professor who can go anywhere he wants as long as it's between May 15 and August 10, one week in March when airfares to get out of Florida are stupidly high, or the time around Christmas when everyone else is trying to visit family too.

So yeah, we're often looking at big crowds for vacation timeframes.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:22 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I'm married to a college professor who can go anywhere he wants as long as it's between May 15 and August 10, one week in March when airfares to get out of Florida are stupidly high, or the time around Christmas when everyone else is trying to visit family too.

So yeah, we're often looking at big crowds for vacation timeframes.
Is there any reason to leave Florida in the winter?

Old 10-25-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
You can thank disrespectful tourists and over tourism for this. A lot of people just don't know how to behave themselves when they visit another country and the locals are getting fed up with it. I like the fact that several countries are putting a limit on tourism. You are not entitled to see or visit any place you want. It's a privilege.
That's not true at all, except in a very few special circumstances. I don't know a single country whose constitution gives any rights of movement to some people and not other -- citizens or visitors. If you are legally admitted to a country, you have the same constitutional guarantees and liberties, unless spelled out differently by the stated restrictions in your visa. There maybe a two-tiered schedule of entrance fees, but nobody is denied freedom of movement on the basis if citizenship or residence.

What are the countries that are putting a limit on tourism?

Old 10-25-2019, 06:38 AM

In 1976, my wife and I traveled overland, from Cameroon to Sierra Leone. Today, that trip would require $1,063 each in visa fees alone, a total of $2,126 for the two of us through just eight countries. Then, we spent seven months in Africa for less than that, inclusive.

With visa fees like that, you won't have to worry much about it being over-run with tourists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel