Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 03:16 PM

6,798 posts, read 4,240,302 times

Advertisements

I wonder if rich folks are particularly averse to it because they are used to getting their way and in the security queue they are treated just the same as a street sweeper or janitor. And because its security they cant even complain or theyd be giving the staff an excuse to get even harsher.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:25 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I wonder if rich folks are particularly averse to it because they are used to getting their way and in the security queue they are treated just the same as a street sweeper or janitor. And because its security they cant even complain or theyd be giving the staff an excuse to get even harsher.
Most likely. They have never had to do anything someone else told them to do.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:27 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I don't see anything wrong with hating it for those reasons. Even a working class person who knows s/he has nothing to hide hates the process, hates the queuing. The privileged go to great lengths (expense) to not have to stand in lines. This is something unavoidable with commercial air travel and yes it probably is frustrating.

Sure you can get TSA PreCheck and fly 1st class everywhere, but how many of the people in 1st didn't pay for their upgrade, and get to board at the same time as you, who may have spent full-price on your ticket? Despite the separation of cabins, airlines are very egalitarian within each cabin. For some, that's unacceptable.

There seems to have been a shift from exceptional experiences being available to the top 10%, to now closer to the top 1%. There's just so much money and so many people willing to part with theirs, the prices for exclusive experiences is astronomical. The "good deals" won't be until the next recession.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:47 PM

5,742 posts, read 4,697,306 times
Flying sucks I know. But the experience of travel far outweighs the inconveniences of getting to the destination.

As has been said... Global Entry is a huge plus, and pay for first class, and that's about as good as it gets without flying private. Have you checked into a Wheels Up or NetJets membership?

Since you live in FL and go to Maine in summers, are you into boats? It can be quite an enjoyable trip from FL up to Maine via the intercoastal.

There are many smaller, upscale cruise lines also.

Sounds like OP needs to speak with a luxury-travel agent.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:48 PM

25,732 posts, read 12,808,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I've gotten the pat down two out of four of our last flights. Didn't bother with the private room. I can't see what the big deal is. I felt more 'molested' the last time I was in a crowded subway I'm Tokyo or NYC. I sincerely appreciate when everything and anything possible to keep me safe is enforced. And I say thank you to TSA.

It always surprises me when people who are lucky enough to have the money and the health to travel ***** about the hassle. Simple solution: Just don't go.
WE have no issues with the typical pat down, but this was something very different. My wife has an unusual body type, and I'm guessing that is what caused it.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
well, we travel domestically, mostly, although our son just got back from South Africa.
anyway...up and down the East Coast, we take MegaBus. there are other competitors.
it has almost zero security checks, and it is just as fast as flying, considering the
door-to-door time. of course, the money aspect for you is not important, however
i would mention a ticket is 10% of the cost of flying. double-deckers with two
restrooms, WiFi, huge seats, etc. adds up to make it our first choice.

at least look into these bus services for your area.
we had NO idea such a thing existed until an
exchange student at our church
told us about them.
Thx for this, I've seen them on the Interstates and didnt kow what they were. I'll explore further.

Old 10-30-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
If you are really in the "2%" (ahem ) you can well afford your own jet. Just do that.

I get patted down a lot due to 3 joint replacements and I could care less. Neither does anyone else.

I for one, am grateful for affordable airline fares. Unlike you softies , a few hours in a cramped position watching movies, is a small price to pay for the ability to visit Europe.

I have felt more "inconvenienced" elsewhere, for less reward.

Celebrity cruise across the Atlantic is full of seniors, and we loved it.

Charter your own limo or boat, too.
Top 2% is a few Million net worth and income of ~$300k. The difference between the top 1% and the top 2% is MASSIVE. I almost bought a Cirrus with the parachute just before the Great Recesson, but glad I didnt because my company's revenue declined by 75%, and never fully recovered.

I could easily afford a single engine plane, but I don't trust 1 engine. I also trust myself to learn to fly it. Once you go to 2 engines all the costs skyrocket.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:29 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
For what it's worth, it seems as though you don't put such a premium on travel. We are also retired and probably in the 2%, at least. But we absolutely love to travel. A few things we do.

1. I have never, ever been patted down. Avoid starting your trip in a large airport. The bigger the airport, the worse the TSA seems. Precheck and Global Entry are worth every penny. I haven't used Clear, but it's another option. AmEx even reimbursed us for the cost of Global Entry.

2. Only fly first class. The expense seems frivolous because you put so much into making your money, but it is well worth it. Lay flat cubicles on Delta One are amazing.

3. Pick a single airline and stay with it as much as possible. We fly Delta as much as we possibly can. They treat us very well.

4. We looked at private or semi-private flights. We might do it one day for a thrill, but I can't see doing it regularly. It was $10K per person from Colorado to SC.

5. If flying commercial, buy very good noise cancelling headphones. Put a movie or music on an iPad and never hear a thing.

At the end of the day though, if it isn't worth it to you for the inconvenience, play more golf.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:57 PM

My wife will do the security clearance thing, so thx for all of those who suggested that. We love security measures, but what she endured was way out of bounds. She had no pockets, I wasn't with her (or I'd be in jail right now), and she has no metal in her body, or on her body. I made her leave ALL of her jewelry behind for safety's sake because its obviously expensive stuff, and I know the TSA is filled with thieves. There was nothing to cause what happened to her other than her unusual natural body type.

Checking bag at curb...nope, I had $2,000 worth of golf gear vanish that way, and so did a friend, so never again. We dont bring ANYTHING of value into the travel environment anymore, and we underdress so we don't stand out.

To those rich people haters (quite a few snarky comments were made)...I was born with nothing, had a horrendous childhood, and was given NOTHING but a pulse. No Silver spoons in my life. I just worked my a#$ss off for a long time, saved like you have never seen before (even lived in my car for a while), and invested well. I just got rid of my flip phone this year (still use minimal data, so my phone costs $15/mo) and still do not have cable tv. My car is 14 years old. Your apologies are accepted. Please educate yourselves about rich people. A very small % of us had much help, or any inheritance. We are the "Millionaires Next Door" from the book by the same title. Your profiling of us is ~85% wrong, and very likely media induced. It reveals your lack of intelligence.

Now, back to the topic. First Class...does that get you into a different security clearance line? I realize the pre-pass thing does, so my wife will do that prior to Israel. I'm way too cheap to fly 1st class, but if it helps improve the experience other than a wider seat, priority-boarding, and free drinks, it's a waste of money. I really don't see that as a solution.

Having a few Million $'s, and making $300k (actually, our tax code is so complex, I don't know how much I really make in the same terms you think of) makes me a tweener. I'm not well off enough to fly in private jets. I could do it sometimes, but its not a solution for as much as I'd like to travel.

Love the motor home idea, and recently looked at the Mercedes stretch vans with the satellite dish atop for cable tv (wife would like this), wifi (I need this to run my company), and on-board bathroom/shower. I'm trying to get my wife to warm up to the idea. We wouldn't live in it, just travel in it, and maybe do an overnight from time to time to save $.

I'm also thinking about buying a large boat to travel the coast from Nova Scotia to Mexico. I've been watching this youtube series ( I do have Internet) about a family who travels the Carribean on a tri-hull, but why just the Carribean? I'd have a lot to learn about that.

I was hoping to hear from another top 2%'er or maybe a top 1%'er who could relate to my situation. I have learned a lot from all the replies and really appreciate them. Thanks to all of you (except for the brainwashed haters).

Old 10-30-2019, 05:13 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
tsa precheck. no brainer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel