Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 09:31 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,697,825 times

Advertisements

Someone who rode the Zephyr said she loved the trip but warned me that delays are common. Amtrak is well known for these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 10:52 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The same for Canadian passenger trains, they don't own the track, and must give way to freight trains.
Does this mean that Canadian trains are subject to the same terrible delays that are so common with Amtrak?

Old 11-07-2019, 11:42 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Does this mean that Canadian trains are subject to the same terrible delays that are so common with Amtrak?
I don't know how often Amtrak has delays, so I can't compare.

I can only say, that it is not unusual for a train to be delayed since freight has the right of way.

It may or may not add a few hours on a trip from Vancouver to Winnipeg.

This is western Canada.

In the Toronto to Montreal corridor, I suspect it's much less so, since that is a short trip of a few hours, instead of days.

Most train trips out west here, are for tourists, or people not in a hurry.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:38 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
My only western Amtrak experience is the Southwest Chief going from Chicago to LA. Going through Kansas at night was nice...nothing to see. You see mountains and desert out west in Colorado and New Mexico...very colorful. Having a sleeper is the way to go on long distance trips. Going west from Albuquerque it will get dark again near the Arizona border until you get to Southern California approaching LA. I have been cold in a sleeper. You might need ear plugs if the sleeper is close to the locomotive as they blow the horn at road crossings at night. I enjoy train travel partly because of the people you meet so don't stay in your sleeper the whole trip. The train is a community on wheels.

Old 11-14-2019, 12:34 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,723,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I strongly recommend the Amtrak route(Zephyr) from San Francisco(Oakland) to Chicago. Be sure to get a compartment. Have fun!
Yes! I have done this trip. They time it so you go over the Sierra Nevada Mtns and the Rockies during daylight hours - very scenic.

Do get a sleeping compartment. All meals in the dinning car are included.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:12 PM

1,361 posts, read 552,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Hi all. We are contemplating traveling/sight-seeing by train, traveling through the Northern Rockies and down the Pacific coast. We have only experienced 8 hours or less train trips between major cities. We would love to hear about others' experiences, recommendations and tips on scenic train trips (especially in the Rockies and NW states.
I've taken the Amtrak Cascades from Seattle north to Bellingham and from Seattle south to Portland. It's an enjoyable trip with decent views. Going north out of Seattle the track is literally running along the coast with waves clearly visible right outside the window. Pretty cool.

I'm going on a cruise in September out of Vancouver, B.C. and will be taking the train up.

Old 11-20-2019, 05:40 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,293,948 times
Many years ago I went to San Francisco from Minneapolis to visit my brother. It was a beautiful experience. The mountains, at times, were scary to me because we were so close. All in all, glad I did it.

Old 11-20-2019, 06:48 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times
Over the years there were two times, when our young'uns were at a young age, when we took them by Amtrak from Oakland, CA to Reno. There was much beautiful scenery & lots of fun. We sat in the upper observation car. There was a lot of snow in the mountains.It was pretty awesome...
We rented a car so we could go to the snow, make snowmen, have snowball fights & have a great time...

Old 11-27-2019, 06:50 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHappy001 View Post
Hi all. We are contemplating traveling/sight-seeing by train, traveling through the Northern Rockies and down the Pacific coast. We have only experienced 8 hours or less train trips between major cities. We would love to hear about others' experiences, recommendations and tips on scenic train trips (especially in the Rockies and NW states.
The N-S train in the western states only runs once per day (although, since the Los Angeles-Seattle leg takes more than a day - 35 hours if there are no delays - there are actually two trains running at a time, one SB and one NB). What the trip is like depends on a lot of things, but mostly how crowded the trains are, how delayed the trains are and which direction you are going (north or south), as they pass certain things at different times depending on direction.

Certain times of the year they have volunteers on board in the lounge car to give travelogs.

For my part, having done the main trip once, I wouldn't do it again, although I have done several legs of it many times. From Seattle to Eugene there are also "commuter" trains (you can't really use them to commute to a job, given the schedules and the trip lengths, but they don't have overnight accommodations). To go south of Eugene, your only choice is the Amtrak Coast Starlight.

I've had trains run on time, had them slightly late (and had a porter once tell me "Honey, this is Amtrak - if it is the same DAY as we were supposed to arrive, we aren't late") had them very late and then horrendously late (as in several days). Even in the short trips sometimes things would happen like the toilets in a couple cars weren't working so everyone had to queue up in the one car they were working in, had the galley run out of food. The porters are generally very friendly and helpful although somewhat fatalistic. The beds/chairs in the sleeper cars aren't as comfortable as the chairs in the lounges -particularly not in the very small 2 person sleepers, although those are nice for solo travelers.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-21-2020, 05:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Someone who rode the Zephyr said she loved the trip but warned me that delays are common. Amtrak is well known for these.
The host railroad usually gives higher priority to its own trains over Amtrak trains. The exception is the Northeast Corridor, which Amtrak owns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel