U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 AM
 
89 posts, read 48,778 times
Reputation: 337

Advertisements

Hi all. We are contemplating traveling/sight-seeing by train, traveling through the Northern Rockies and down the Pacific coast. We have only experienced 8 hours or less train trips between major cities. We would love to hear about others' experiences, recommendations and tips on scenic train trips (especially in the Rockies and NW states.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2019, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Eureka CA
9,519 posts, read 13,018,130 times
Reputation: 14962
I strongly recommend the Amtrak route(Zephyr) from San Francisco(Oakland) to Chicago. Be sure to get a compartment. Have fun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 05:50 PM
 
14,385 posts, read 7,993,503 times
Reputation: 14013
If you’re willing to consider north of the border consider The Canadian.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-ou...s-and-services
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 06:30 PM
 
5,326 posts, read 2,334,716 times
Reputation: 12333
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I strongly recommend the Amtrak route(Zephyr) from San Francisco(Oakland) to Chicago. Be sure to get a compartment. Have fun!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 07:23 PM
 
5,076 posts, read 2,262,652 times
Reputation: 4223
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
If you’re willing to consider north of the border consider The Canadian.

https://www.viarail.ca/en/explore-ou...s-and-services
The Canadian is fantastic. There's also the Rocky Mountaineer, but that's mostly for luxury travel.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2019, 09:54 PM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
28,458 posts, read 47,489,369 times
Reputation: 33899
We have hosted many guests that take the northern route from Chicago to Spokane, then split to Seattle or Portland, then do coastal route south to CA.

We had a couple in their late 80s come from MSP via Amtrak, and they looped to Santa Monica, then took a mid Utah and Colorado route back to MSP . They had a sleeping berth.

USA trains.... Don't be in a hurry . My last Amtrak out of Spokane was delayed a couple days due to a derailment in MT.

Canada trains can be very nice, expect to see a lot of forest!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
15,970 posts, read 11,368,624 times
Reputation: 9829
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
We have hosted many guests that take the northern route from Chicago to Spokane, then split to Seattle or Portland, then do coastal route south to CA.

We had a couple in their late 80s come from MSP via Amtrak, and they looped to Santa Monica, then took a mid Utah and Colorado route back to MSP . They had a sleeping berth.

USA trains.... Don't be in a hurry . My last Amtrak out of Spokane was delayed a couple days due to a derailment in MT.

Canada trains can be very nice, expect to see a lot of forest!
The same for Canadian passenger trains, they don't own the track, and must give way to freight trains.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Haiku
7,134 posts, read 3,963,168 times
Reputation: 10290
My wife just traveled by train from Minneapolis to Seattle. The train is called Empire Builder. She got a sleeper cabin and all meals were provided. She was not all that happy with it - her main complaint was that her cabin was freezing and there weren't enough blankets. The scenery is nice but unfortunately it crosses the Rockies (through Glacier Park) at night.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 03:47 PM
 
Location: Florida
6,898 posts, read 4,565,284 times
Reputation: 13070
The last train we rode on was between Melbourne and Sydney in Australia. We figured flying would be the same as flying over the US. We enjoyed it. Never saw so many sheep in my life.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2019, 06:17 PM
 
12,859 posts, read 16,989,585 times
Reputation: 8916
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
My wife just traveled by train from Minneapolis to Seattle. The train is called Empire Builder. She got a sleeper cabin and all meals were provided. She was not all that happy with it - her main complaint was that her cabin was freezing and there weren't enough blankets. The scenery is nice but unfortunately it crosses the Rockies (through Glacier Park) at night.
I rode it last summer and enjoyed it. It gets dark much later in the summer so you get to see the mountains. The stretch between Minneapolis and Milwaukee is along the Mississippi river for hundreds of miles with great scenery. Even a narration of local history.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top