Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 12:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I expect to spend more while I am on vacation, but I also think it reflects badly on human nature that so many are so eager to take advantage of travelers.

I know it will happen and I expect it, but I just think it is sad.
Not all vacations are like that. You can expect that when you’re taking destination vacations, but a week with the family hanging out, you won’t.

Our prices do fluctuate throughout the year.. we’re coming into cruise season and high tourist season so prices are going to reflect that. Right, wrong or indifferent it happens and people should expect it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 01:49 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post
I always say, If you dont expect anything you'll never be disappointed.
I have come to agree with this. Sylvia Plath said something to this effect.

Old 11-09-2019, 01:50 PM

1,159 posts, read 620,298 times
Ok I'm guilty of this. I complain about stuff being so darn expensive. The airport stuff is highway robbery... An they can get away with it too......

Old 11-09-2019, 07:00 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
As they say... When you like to know the price of an item in 2060, just go to any airport now...
Most airports have normal priced food before security, but triple after....
I travel to Schiphol, Amsterdam airport 6 times a year. Many shops like 150, and stores before customs that are reasonable priced.
Before a coke is 1.80. After security it is 3.75 euro. Same with food and you can take food with you.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I do NOT expect to pay "normal" prices at airports when I travel. Having said that, food prices at airports have increased substantially in the past two or three years. Chicago-Midway has really increased prices at many of the eateries since they have changed vendors ... and the food has really declined.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
I travel to Schiphol, Amsterdam airport 6 times a year. Many shops like 150, and stores before customs that are reasonable priced.
Before a coke is 1.80. After security it is 3.75 euro. Same with food and you can take food with you.
Though there's a food court just past security in the SkyTeam area containing the most American of beverage options- the self-serve soda fountain with unlimited refills. After a couple of week of paying 4 euros or CHF for a single 30-40 deciliter Coke bottle at a meal out, the airport food court soda seemed like a screaming bargain.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:44 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Bangkok airport has a very crowded and chaotic Thai restaurant, where you can get a nice plate if pad thai for a couple bucks.

Best I've seen is al-Haaq, an Arabic food kiosk in the courtyard across from the taxi exit at the airport in Georgetown, Guyuana. Wonderful cheap full meals, pleasant relaxing outdoor food court.

At Narita airport, in the departure gate concourse, there is a vending machine that dispenses frozen ice cream treats for as little as 40 yen. I had enough change for four of them, and I was in heaven.

The worst is Bahrain, which has nothing but a Dairy Queen, a Coffee Bean and a pizza franchise.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:49 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
The worst is Bahrain, which has nothing but a Dairy Queen, a Coffee Bean and a pizza franchise.
lol no

Old 11-09-2019, 09:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post

I'm enough of s rube to admit that after a week spent in hot desert conditions, I would so be all 'Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard? Heck F. Yeah and make it a big one' when I came across the airport Dairy Queen.

But then my home airport is tiny and I have developed expectations accordingly. The old VPS civilian air terminal (in use until around 2005-ish) not only had no public toilets airside so you had to go through another round of security theater if you had to make an additional pit stop before getting on your prop plane to Atlanta or Houston, the airside food and drink options consisted of a soda machine where the chiller was broken about 75% of the time, resulting in some nasty Diet Coke purchases until I wised up, and a nearly empty food vending machine where only a lone bag of Funyons dangled off the wire spiral taunting hungry passengers.

(The new VPS civilian air terminal was infinitely better from the first day of operation- not only were there now proper jet bridges and airside public toilets, but they even had a Quozno's airside too. Ah such wonderful creature comforts!)

Old 11-09-2019, 09:04 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,210,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
lol no
Your usual informative and detailed response contributing so much helpful advice.

Of course there are worse, but Bahrain is a national capital with frequent international flights direct to 25 countries. Im not counting the grass strips in Bolivia.

Last edited by cebuan; 11-09-2019 at 09:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel