Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 11:56 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times

Advertisements

So today I got an email of a fare sale that got my attention. NYC to Madeira Island (FNC) plus a layover of up to 5 days in Lisbon for $226 RT advertised. That's pretty good right? Madeira only recently got on my radar after seeing a couple of youtube videos that really surprised me - the old town of Funchal looks like parts of Rome & not like some over developed resort town, plus Lisbon has become a favorite destination for me. $226? I'm going!

When I start the process of booking I realize that I want a longer, open ended trip & go to southern Portugal afterwards. Plus the specific advertised fare had a 12 hour layover. So I look at OW fares: NYC-LIS (5 day layover)-FNC $93! I take time to check dates, weather, my schedule, etc., & about an hour later I start booking. The OW airfare has increased to $112, no problem.

Booking my ticket & the inevitable fees & taxes I expected now bring it to $183 total, almost double the price but still really good for a one way, transatlantic/multi-day layover/2 destination trip. Seating comes up... another $15! Per leg! This is the first time I've ever run across paying more when selecting my seat. And $70 for "Economy Plus". Since this is a long red-eye & I'm party-sized & old I figure I deserve the "Plus" on the JFK leg: another $85 tax inc.

Ok, I'm not complaining $263 is still a pretty good deal (but it's not $93).

So I get my etickets by email & I'm reading the fine print at the bottom:

BAGGAGE POLICY
JFKLIS
1ST CHECKED BAG: 130.00USD
LISFNC
1ST CHECKED BAG: 80.00USD

Another $210!!!! I didn't see anywhere while I was booking online that baggage would be extra but I honestly wasn't looking since my usual preferred carrier gives me 1 free checked bag & it slipped by me tbh.
Now I'm (theoretically) paying $473, unless there are more surprise "add-ons"(meals, power & I think wifi come with my "Plus" seat). A pretty far cry from $226 or $93.

In reality I have a credit card that will credit me that extra baggage fee, but still I feel more than a bit p***d off. I can do carry-on for the JFK/LIS leg but I expect the LIS/FNC will be a smaller plane with Euro carry-on limits. (I don't think my smaller Euro carry-on will provide for the extra weeks I'm planning to spend in the Algarve after Madeira.) So now it's more like $343 & I'll get an $80 rebate from my cc. I tell myself that means I'm only spending $263 again. (I'll return home on FF points & my bag should be free.)

Okay most of this is venting but I think I did ok, but just a heads up if you're booking a "great fare" not to get too sold on it before really looking at all the sundry fees: meals, bags, distance secondary airport is from hotel, etc.,.. I remember a few years ago Ryanair tried charging for restroom use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 03:51 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Thanks for the warning. I had not flown in several years and it took me hours to compare airlines and flights due to all of these ways people have found to upcharge. About half of the economy seats had different premiums. Then add cancellation insurance, which if you need to invoke it is a whole additional thing to go through apparently.

The marketing/business majors call this “adding value” by which they mean adding profitability. Really all it does is add obfuscation.

Old 11-16-2019, 04:08 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Welcome to the world of Basic Economy. Any service has a fee. Most flights within Europe are like that now at the lowest fare. You’re assigned a seat when you check in. You can only take one piece of small hand luggage. Even water on the flight has a charge.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:18 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
That $130 is an absolutely brutal checked bag fee.

Most I've ever paid to check a bag is $50.

Old 11-16-2019, 06:52 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
What credit card reverses the checked bag fee for ALL airlines????

Old 11-16-2019, 06:56 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
That $130 is an absolutely brutal checked bag fee.

Most I've ever paid to check a bag is $50.
Maybe, maybe not. Those "super cheap" flights still cost exactly the same as regular (or even more) - is just a game with the numbers.
There was time when all fees were included in total price (loved it!) but to make the rising flight costs more appealing they switched to segmentation and now you have bare price plus adds on.
I often noticed a super low airfare like $85 plus $600 in taxes!
The "idea" behind it was that all adds on should be people's choice and some might take full advantage of the offerings and some not. Some can fly cheaper than those who want full comfort with food and drink, leg room, window view, overhead compartment space, 2 pieces of luggage plus carry on.
Of course for average customer most of them are necessary - everyone has some luggage and everyone has to eat and drink something during long flights. However, there are super thrifty people that wear layers of clothes, eat and drink before boarding or bring water and snacks with them to the cabin. Those people have a chance to fly cheaper than others.
I heard that some airlines try to make the economy class so uncomfortable and unappealing that no one would buy the tickets and they could get rid of the bargain seats and make them economy plus, for higher price, of course.

So, yes - there are very cheap flights, but if you are an average customer with all basic needs, and you add all those ads-on to your ticket price, you will end with a normal air ticket price, not a bargain.

Also - choose your flights and airlines carefully. There are still some that offer pretty good deals and don't add luggage charge.

Note: the computer price often rise when you repeatedly check on items without cleaning cookies and history of your browsing. Their algorithm figures out that you are interested, therefore willing to pay higher price. You can often see it on Amazon too.
Try to use incognito browser.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:12 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I don't know about ALL airlines, but there are credit cards, like some co-branded airline credit cards that offer travel credits each year that you can use for checked bag fees, upgrades, food & drinks, priority boarding and other airline charges.

Read more here:
https://www.johnnyjet.com/avoid-bagg...-credit-cards/

Old 11-16-2019, 07:40 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,500,151 times
The real reason for basic economy is that folks shop by price, and air fare search engines typically sort by price. So airlines developed what are called "unbundled fares". If you do the math, you'll often find that, if you want to select your seat in advance, the old fashioned regular economy fares are cheaper. They're harder to find, though, and much harder to compare.

Airlines know about website stickiness - once a prospective customer lands on an airline's site, they're less likely to look elsewhere, even if elsewhere could be lower cost. That's stickiness.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:14 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,134,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
BAGGAGE POLICY
JFKLIS
1ST CHECKED BAG: 130.00USD
LISFNC
1ST CHECKED BAG: 80.00USD

Another $210!!!! I didn't see anywhere while I was booking online that baggage would be extra but I honestly wasn't looking since my usual preferred carrier gives me 1 free checked bag & it slipped by me tbh.
Now I'm (theoretically) paying $473, unless there are more surprise "add-ons"(meals, power & I think wifi come with my "Plus" seat). A pretty far cry from $226 or $93.
You have some sort of a point but you are mixing up a lot of different things. Economy plus, seat selection, 3-week trip to Algarve.. you are far from the advertised fare because you picked far from the advertised product.

Regarding the quote above, where did you buy your ticket? I easily found the $225 RT ticket on the TAP web site and you very clearly get to pick your fare and it is very clear that basic economy is cheaper than economy but does not include a baggage allowance nor seat selection. If you pick economy from the outset, it’s $60 USD extra from NYC to Funchal (not $210) and another $60 extra for the return, and then you get a checked bag.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:17 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Chase Sapphire Reserve is a premium travel-focused CC with a large annual fee but gives a $300 annual credit for travel expenses & I'm going early in 2020, "travel" is also liberally defined to include buses, Uber, etc... (It also includes primary rental auto insurance, no foreign transaction fees & upgraded airport lounge access & a lot of other benefits.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel