Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2019, 06:48 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Perhaps. But the world is huge. I'd rather spend my time elsewhere and not visit nations where antisemitism and hatred of the Jewish state is the order of the day.

Follow the news, antisemitism is happening much more in Europe than it is in the Middle East.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2019, 06:57 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:
Perhaps. But the world is huge. I'd rather spend my time elsewhere and not visit nations where antisemitism and hatred of the Jewish state is the order of the day.
Well Israeli only passport holders can't go to a bunch of countries that don't have diplomatic ties with Israel (and this includes Indonesia). So if you have another passport you have decide which other countries really want to visit besides Israel (if the issue of Israeli passport stamp is even relevant these days).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Follow the news, antisemitism is happening much more in Europe than it is in the Middle East.
It seems that some of the Gulf countries are opening their doors to the world and may have modern marvels of interest to tourists. But for female travelers there are countries that I don't think they should consider visiting (such as Saudi Arabia) . So having an Israeli stamp in one's passport isn't always critical as really depends one's future plans until they have to have a new passport issued.

Old 11-29-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Plus from that list most of them aren't currently safe for an American to visit anyway. What is someone going to be lamenting they can't go to Syria or Yemen because of a stamp in their passport? I think Lebanon is the only one on that list that would be worth a visit and currently (generally) safe to travel. There are a couple hundred other countries to explore including many others in the Middle East and I've only got one lifetime.

I couldn't care less, what am I going to try to keister a dreidel into Jordan so I can enjoy it in my hotel room? Limitations on trinkets isn't something I'd plan travel around.
Syria & Yemen are currently in civil wars. Lebanon is currently heading for a civil war. Jordan is safe as the touristy stuff can be done in a day. I go to Jordan for the R&R in the Ma'in Springs and their side of the Dead Sea which is not a tourist trap. Also all the Gulf countries are safe except for Iran.

A dreidel is not a religious article, Tallits-Prayer Shawls are.

Old 11-29-2019, 08:22 AM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Quote:
Sure, but let's get real. Antisemitism throughout much of the Islamic world is sanctioned by the government and law. Not the case elsewhere as a general matter.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:53 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,933,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
We're coming up on our first trip to Israel. Given the decision for the US to recognize the West Bank settlements, things may get a bit heightened for a while.

I'm not particularly worried, but the wife is nervous. Anyone have any advice other than the basics regarding terrorism in any country?
Israel is a safe country and an amazing place. We spent two weeks there in early 2017, on a guided tour of the country, and we can't wait to go back and spend more time in one place.

I'm looking into one of the 2-3 week summer camps for our teen next summer; we'd spend about a month over there, working remotely and touring around on weekends.

Anyway, best of luck and enjoy your trip.

Old 11-29-2019, 02:48 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
I go to Jordan for the R&R
As a tourist I do like Jordan a lot more than Israel.

Old 11-30-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
As a tourist I do like Jordan a lot more than Israel.
I haven't been to either so can only go off of what those who have tell me. For the most part, my friends seem to enjoy Israel much more than Jordan. I'm not opposed to traveling to some parts of the Arab world, but I just don't have a serious desire to go.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
I haven't been to either so can only go off of what those who have tell me. For the most part, my friends seem to enjoy Israel much more than Jordan. I'm not opposed to traveling to some parts of the Arab world, but I just don't have a serious desire to go.
Most of Israel is set up for the Touristy stuff. Unless one needs to go to highly religious stuff, they go on the days when the IDF is guarding those places (post 1995 OSLO made it harder and not easier to travel in the West Bank due to Palestinian Authority caused issues. I traveled very easily before then in those areas). (before 2016) Beirut in Lebanon was a R&R city where one could do touristy stuff and enjoy a 5 star night life. Jordan has basically one city (Amman) . Its toursity stuff is very little and one spends most of their time travelling than actually being at those sites. It's more locally known for it's R&R places as the travelling to get there is a long car/bus ride which IMHO opinion is worth it. It's Dead Sea hotels cost less than 50% than their Israel counterparts.

As one who's worked in the Middle East for decades, Israel is great for a country-wide visit as one can find something to do nearly everywhere in the country (at NYC prices). In most of the other countries in the Middle East, there isn't much to see as they are basically one city countries. If they spent much more money on their antiquities, they'd probably have more tourist destinations to go to. But they don't.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Most of Israel is set up for the Touristy stuff. Unless one needs to go to highly religious stuff, they go on the days when the IDF is guarding those places (post 1995 OSLO made it harder and not easier to travel in the West Bank due to Palestinian Authority caused issues. I traveled very easily before then in those areas). (before 2016) Beirut in Lebanon was a R&R city where one could do touristy stuff and enjoy a 5 star night life. Jordan has basically one city (Amman) . Its toursity stuff is very little and one spends most of their time travelling than actually being at those sites. It's more locally known for it's R&R places as the travelling to get there is a long car/bus ride which IMHO opinion is worth it. It's Dead Sea hotels cost less than 50% than their Israel counterparts.

As one who's worked in the Middle East for decades, Israel is great for a country-wide visit as one can find something to do nearly everywhere in the country (at NYC prices). In most of the other countries in the Middle East, there isn't much to see as they are basically one city countries. If they spent much more money on their antiquities, they'd probably have more tourist destinations to go to. But they don't.
Thanks, that's helpful. I still plan on visiting Israel sometime in the next year or so. I have many friends who live there (college friends), and even plan to meet up with one of my former college professors, who served as the president of the Israeli Labor Court. Honestly, I'm more concerned with personal connections and food when traveling as opposed to touristy stuff. If I can eat well and otherwise have a good time with the locals/friends/etc., I'll generally be happy.

Old 12-06-2019, 01:55 PM

5,717 posts, read 4,689,981 times
The trip was amazing. At no point, even on the West Bank, did I feel unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel