Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 10:55 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing at least some of us have been to these before? A museum that focuses specifically on history as it relates to a particular metropolitan area/city or region and it's history (or urban planning, etc.)

If so, which ones have you been to, and which ones did you find to be the most impressive? As much as I have traveled, it's not like I necessarily visit the history museum in cities that I visit-since I generally tend to just go about exploring the living history and architecture out within the city instead-or taking a walking tour of a neighborhood. So, my list is short as a result.

I've been to:
Western Reserve Historical Society (Cleveland-now I think called the Cleveland History Center)
Orange County Regional History Center (Orlando)
St. Petersburg (FL) Museum of History
Tampa Bay History Center

With those, I'd rank them on two separate things-collections, and overall quality of layout.

Collections: Cleveland, Tampa, St. Petersburg, Orlando
Layout/Museum Itself: Tampa (gap) Orlando, Cleveland, St. Petersburg

Just curious on who else has been to some others around the country and world-and what thoughts are on how they compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 11:19 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,982,810 times
Milwaukee City Museum is awesome.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:43 AM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
One of the most underrated museums that showcases California history, is the Oakland Museum of California. It’s located in Oakland California, two blocks from the Lake Merritt BART station.

Old 12-29-2019, 12:25 PM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
The Museum of London id currently near the Barbican but is moving to a far larger site at West Smithfield.

Museum of London | Free museum in London

Museum of London: The Vision

Most cities have museums about the city, some also have towers, keeps, castles and other such history.

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-29-2019 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-29-2019, 09:20 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,071,739 times
I have been to the city history museums in Jacksonville, FL - and Omaha, NE which is housed in an old train station.

I would like to visit the Heinz city history museum in Pittsburgh, PA some day, and the Tenement Museum in lower east side, N.Y. City - but probably never will.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:01 PM

23,520 posts, read 24,000,129 times
The Museum of Flight in Seattle, is worth a visit.

Old 12-30-2019, 06:31 AM

Thank you to everyone for their recommendations-I'd say that most cities in Europe and America have some sort of local history museum of some sort-however, from research, it appears some-London for instance, have some that are better than others-for instance, London has the Museum of London, but it also has the Building Centre which seems to be more of an "urban planning" center/museum, and the London Transport Museum as well. I would also say that there are some cities outside of Europe and America that have an incredible history that isn't necessarily directly curated in a specific museum, or at least not with the level of detail/impressiveness it could be given the status of the city itself.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:07 AM

27,154 posts, read 13,438,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Thank you to everyone for their recommendations-I'd say that most cities in Europe and America have some sort of local history museum of some sort-however, from research, it appears some-London for instance, have some that are better than others-for instance, London has the Museum of London, but it also has the Building Centre which seems to be more of an "urban planning" center/museum, and the London Transport Museum as well. I would also say that there are some cities outside of Europe and America that have an incredible history that isn't necessarily directly curated in a specific museum, or at least not with the level of detail/impressiveness it could be given the status of the city itself.

New York also has a very good historical museum.

New-York Historical Society - Wikipedia

New-York Historical Society

Paris has the Museum Carnavalet.

Museum Carnavalet - Musée Carnavalet - Paris.fr

Indeed most major cities have a museum marking the cities past.

Old 12-30-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

New York also has a very good historical museum.

New-York Historical Society - Wikipedia

New-York Historical Society

Paris has the Museum Carnavalet.

Museum Carnavalet - Musée Carnavalet - Paris.fr

Indeed most major cities have a museum marking the cities past.

I agree-but I guess my hope/perspective (or mission even) would be exposing or detailing history in places where it should be-a lot more! I mean, there are obviously clear reasons why-but for instance I can think of cities central to global history and development, that lack a history museum in the form where it really describes and discusses local/urban history-New Delhi, Johannesburg, Buenos Aires are perhaps the largest examples I can find of places that don't seem to have one properly discussing the city itself-Cusco didn't seem to have one in that sense either (though I guess Cusco, the entire city IS a museum basically, so it doesn't matter as much).

The Museum of London is free as well-correct?

Old 12-30-2019, 12:54 PM

4,604 posts, read 2,992,254 times
Default another one in NYC

Home | Museum of the City of New York

I haven't seen it, but plan to do so when I visit NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel