Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2019, 07:49 AM

5,157 posts, read 3,083,950 times

Advertisements

Other than the airports, I personally do not see the attraction of visiting Dallas/Ft Worth. If You have time, look around the Big Bend and Ft. Davis areas. Mountain scenery, milder climate, and some unique, funky restaurants and micro brewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 08:02 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,639,868 times
Second San Antonio River walk. It seemed like Disneyland come to life.

My favorite Texas thing was the Sonora Caverns. Privately owned caves full of stalactites and incredible rock formations. Along I-10 in the middle of nowhere (town of Sonora), but really very cool. Affordable guided tours.

Whatever you do, you'll spend a lot of time driving! Lots of empty land out there...

Old 11-24-2019, 08:12 AM

154 posts, read 75,356 times
San Antonio...its been a long time, pretty much just did the tourist trap stuff...Riverwalk, Alamo, worth checking both out.
The finger lakes, hill country outside of Austin definitely. 6th street, the LBJ museum, FOOD FOOD FOOD, Austin City Limits, Stubbs, Salt Lick, any and every place in Lockhart that sells food. There are a ton of places like Franklin bbq that are the best of the best. The food is so good there, the Austin-Lockhart-San Anton triangle, sure try to hit Franklin's or wherever, but if there are any crazy long waits or whatever, I wouldn't think its worth it if your just visiting. Sooo many options, the difference between 1st best bbq and 20th best bbq is not very big margin.

Dallas area...Deep Ellum, the Stockyards, Billy Bob's, Justin boots, some other big western store...can't remember the name, Fort Worth and San Antonio zoo's are both really great, Kimball museum, haven't been there but I imagine the 43 museum would be pretty cool (politics aside, been to the LBJ museum not a fan of his but it was really amazing).

Houston go the the NASA center in Clear Lake for sure. Galveston, eh...I liked it, my wife hated it. People pretty much like or hate it, I think more leaning towards dislike. The Galleria is really nice. Houston science museum (I think thats what its called)

Last edited by BCAA5000; 11-24-2019 at 08:22 AM..

Old 11-24-2019, 12:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,458,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Other than the airports, I personally do not see the attraction of visiting Dallas/Ft Worth. If You have time, look around the Big Bend and Ft. Davis areas. Mountain scenery, milder climate, and some unique, funky restaurants and micro brewers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCAA5000 View Post
Dallas area...Deep Ellum, the Stockyards, Billy Bob's, Justin boots, some other big western store...can't remember the name, Fort Worth and San Antonio zoo's are both really great, Kimball museum, haven't been there but I imagine the 43 museum would be pretty cool (politics aside, been to the LBJ museum not a fan of his but it was really amazing).
While Dallas can be a decent place to live day-to-day, it is not a good place to recreationally visit. I would not go out of my way to visit Deep Ellum. The Fort Worth Stockyards are the most touristy thing in DFW and Dallas residents will often take out of towners out to Fort Worth for that.

The Kennedy assassination historical site/museum near Downtown Dallas is a good stop. I went after moving to Dallas, but not immediately. Most Dallasites will eventually make their way to it, but it's not worth going out of your way to visit.

The George W Bush Library/Museum on SMU's campus is even less of an attraction among Dallas residents.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:03 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
While Dallas can be a decent place to live day-to-day, it is not a good place to recreationally visit.
This is true to most of Texas.

Old 11-24-2019, 02:29 PM

154 posts, read 75,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Yeah you pretty much nailed it. I was struggling to come up with places. All very nice places to live, but not really places to pack up and take a trip to, unless you're just there anyway.

Really the bbq is the biggest attraction. Although Austin City Limits and the Space Center in Clear Lake I think are definitely things worth checking out if nothing else.

Old 11-24-2019, 03:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Dallas— I agree with others skip. If you do come, Fort Worth is nice to explore.

San Antonio— I do not understand the fawning over the Riverwalk. It’s literally tins of mediocre restaurants next to a moat. It’s so crowded it’s hard to walk.

Austin— lots of nature and outdoors. You can go from here to Fredericksburg and explore Holl Country.

Old 11-24-2019, 04:43 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I have a week + some days off this December and I have decided to visit Texas because I havent been to that state at all. I have few friends who recently moved to Dallas and Houston, so I could meet up with them for some part but it will be solo trip mostly.

I am planning on covering Dallas, Houston, Galviston, San Antonio region. I could rent a car and drive or fly one way. Plan is to fly one way to one city and fly out from another. I like nature, culture, people watching, food... I am not big on museum or anything that takes hours indoor but I am not hard core outdoorsy person either.

What are some must see? What would you recommend? What is best for transportation? I live in midwest, so I want things that I wont find in midwest.
San Antonio,Austin,Waco if you like the Gaines and the Hill Country.The Riverwalk and the Alamo are real kool.The Trans-Pecos is neat.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:22 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,383,187 times
San Antonio, the Riverwalk, the Alamo. We like to go to the Mercado where there are a lot of Mexican things for sale. It is not far from the Alamo. There is the chain of missions, some of which are still active churches.

In Galveston we camped in our trailer on the beach.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:52 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,957,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Agree. I've lived in Texas most of my life and I can't think of a lot of places I would send visitors. It doesn't have a lot to offer, IMO. Overdevelopment has devastated a lot of the natural beauty Texas used to have. But Houston has an excellent cultural scene, as does Austin. The Houston Symphony, Ballet, and Opera are world class. Even if you aren't an indoors person, those are worth checking out. We also have great theater and the museums are fantastic (especially our fine art museum) but I understand being bored by them. Our foodie scene is great too, especially if you are into Mexican and seafood. I would not go to Galveston. It's a dive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel