Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2019, 01:26 PM

239 posts, read 255,624 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll...

I have camping trip planned in the GSMNP in late May. We'll be staying in the Smokmont Campground? What would the weather be like during that time? Rain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 01:58 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
It can be all you mention and then some. Some evenings (depending on elevation) can be in the 30*'s and then reach 90*'s during the day. Definitely plan on rain and lots of bugs.

I do back woods camping usually just one or two nights, get some fishing done, then back to civilization. I prefer hammocks with a rain fly and bug screen.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:50 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,608,885 times
Google and the campground website have answers to your question.
At a reported 2,200 feet, there will not be any snow, frost or serious azz cold weather in late May, at that lower elevation.
Spring 'hatches' will be out: gnats, some mosquitoes, et al.

None of us could possibly know now if it will or won't rain in late May 2020, in Swain County, NC.
GL, mD

Old 12-21-2019, 08:44 PM

1,049 posts, read 653,283 times
No winter hazards other than perhaps a chilly night (40s/lower 50s). Thunderstorms and even the occasional microburst or damaging straight-line wind event would be a concern, but the main tornado season is typically wrapping up by that time.

You could also start to get heatwaves at that time as well. Here recently 70s/80s with the occasional isolated to scattered t-storm, but mostly sunny and nice is what is typical that time of year.

Old 12-22-2019, 09:29 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Default Nice but cold usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespykidinseattle View Post
Hey ya'll...

I have camping trip planned in the GSMNP in late May. We'll be staying in the Smokmont Campground? What would the weather be like during that time? Rain?
Lucky you! There was a group of us from work who camped in GSMNP last May 2018 and it was a wonderful experience. Beautiful! In several locations throughout the park, we saw bears.

During daylight hours it was sunny and cool; we had on cold weather jackets. Anytime the sun was down, it was cold. I had on a coat, gloves, and scarf. Of course, it's a toss up on what the weather will actually do in May 2020 but if it's quote unquote normal May weather in that area, be prepared for cold weather but not a lot of snowy weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel