Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2019, 09:23 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times

Advertisements

I've done some Googling, but haven't really found the information I'm looking for. Perhaps some of the posters here will have personal experience.

I wear a medical device which can't be removed (well, it can be removed, but it can't be put back on). When I travel domestically, it's not a problem as I have PreCheck. 95% of the time, I'm going through a metal detector which doesn't affect the device. The manufacturer however recommends not going through AIT (advanced imaging) machines (like the MMW ... millimeter wave). They haven't done sufficient testing to confidently say whether or not it affects the device. So on the rare occasion that I'm randomly selected to go through the MMW, I opt out. Not a problem ... I've been patted down many times before and it doesn't bother me.

I am traveling to Europe in May, and I'm just trying to plan ahead so I know what to expect. I haven't been able to find out what sorts of scanners are used at KEF (Keflavik) or CDG (de Gaulle) ... the two airports where I will encounter security. But frankly I won't feel comfortable going through anything that isn't a simple metal detector.

So my question is whether these airports have opt out procedures, and what I should expect? Is it similar to the US? Also, I know it's not an issue in KEF, but will there be a language barrier in CDG, or do they typically have English-speaking agents? Do I need to learn how to say "I have an implanted medical advice and need to opt out" in French? LOL

Last edited by hertfordshire; 12-24-2019 at 10:19 PM.. Reason: Edited to clarify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2019, 09:36 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Absolutely no problem. You are not the first and surely not the last passenger traveling with medical implant.
All you need to do is make the TSA aware of your medical implant and have proper documentation to show. The device card is available to print on TSA website. English is sufficient. TSA agents do speak/understand English and they are familiar with such card.
Explained here:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...medical-device
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/flyin...thetic-device/

Last edited by elnina; 12-24-2019 at 09:49 PM..

Old 12-24-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Absolutely no problem. You are not the first and surely not the last passenger traveling with medical implant.
All you need to do is make the TSA aware of your medical implant and have proper documentation to show. The device card is available to print on TSA website. English is sufficient. TSA agents do speak/understand English and they are familiar with such card.
Explained here:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequentl...medical-device
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/flyin...thetic-device/
I think you misunderstood. I’m not talking about TSA. I’m familiar with procedures in the US. I’m asking about international security procedures, specifically at Keflavik and de Gaulle.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:41 PM

61,648 posts, read 87,001,838 times
They certainly are familiar with implanted devices. You are not traveling to some remote Third World countries.
And yes, they do speak English.
Have a device card with you and you will be fine.
Flying overseas for the first time?

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes..._travellers_en

EU airports have protocols in place whereby passengers may request a pat-down supported by ETD in lieu of the body scanner.

Last edited by elnina; 12-24-2019 at 11:22 PM..

Old 12-25-2019, 02:12 AM

I know they’re familiar with it. I wasn’t trying to suggest that my situation is something they’ve never encountered. I’m just trying to familiarize myself with what to expect. I would expect that some places it may be harder to opt out that others, I simply don’t know.

No, it’s not my first time flying overseas. It is my first time flying internationally with this device. I’m just trying to gain some knowledge of opt out procedures before I have to learn “on the fly” (excuse the pun).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel