Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 07:55 AM

4,628 posts, read 4,896,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post
2. Yosemite -- very very crowded
99%+ of visitors only see 1% of the park during 4 months. From September to May, no one is in the park. Go outside the valley, there is next to no one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2020, 10:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
99%+ of visitors only see 1% of the park during 4 months. From September to May, no one is in the park. Go outside the valley, there is next to no one.
I went in early March and it was wonderful. There were some downsides, like there was no shuttle to Mariposa Grove and we had to walk 2 miles each way, but the waterfalls were large, Mirror Lake was perfect, and it was not crowded at all. I think my parents are going back this April for a few days.

Old 01-18-2020, 05:59 PM

17,575 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Default White Sands is the newest national park. These places might be next.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...age=BBZ4eE6|11

Craters of the Moon is a really special place

Old 01-18-2020, 09:12 PM

5,118 posts, read 3,418,195 times
So hard to come up with a favorite. We live within two hours of Rocky Mtn NP so we go there a lot, and it's beautiful. Grand Teton is another favorite. We love Yellowstone, but the Tetons hold a special place in my heart. That part of WY is so awe-inspiring! Other favorites are Arches and Zion. I feel so fortunate to be within a day's drive of all of these parks.

Old 01-18-2020, 11:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorges View Post
So hard to come up with a favorite. We live within two hours of Rocky Mtn NP so we go there a lot, and it's beautiful. Grand Teton is another favorite. We love Yellowstone, but the Tetons hold a special place in my heart. That part of WY is so awe-inspiring! Other favorites are Arches and Zion. I feel so fortunate to be within a day's drive of all of these parks.
Yes, great location to live if you like MTN parks. I grew up a horseback ride to RMNP and had a delivery driving job that sent me to Tetons and Black Hills 3x / week.. I often would hop on the motorcycle and blaze to Utah and Mesa Verde on a day or weekend off.

But... I moved to PNW, so still have 6 parks within easy reach from Lassen to Redwoods, Crater Lake, Mt Rainier, North Cascade, Olympic NP... Very lucky.

I now take a flight to LV and head to Utah parks or Joshua tree, and Death Valley. Good activity for a sun break.

2020 is a motorhome travel yr so my National Park pass will get a lot of use. I have always bought a season pass since age 16. Should have been grandfathered in after 30 or 40 yrs. I bought a few of the $10 lifetime passes and keep spares in a Safe-deposit box in case I ever lose mine.

Old 01-19-2020, 04:36 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Bryce Canyon in southern Utah. Hands down. One of the most spectacular spots on earth.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:40 AM

1,584 posts, read 981,928 times
Very tough to choose one, as I’ve enjoyed all I’ve visited: Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Great Smokies, Gateway Arch, Acadia, and Arches, plus a toe-dip into Canyonlands (went in here via a Colorado River float trip — I say it counts). Have also been to some National Monuments and National Historic Sites.

Arches is probably my favorite, but it’s close.

Hope someday to get to Shenandoah, Cuyahoga, Rocky Mountain, Olympic, Mt. Rainier, Haleakala, and Hawaii Volcanoes (all of which are reachable via day tour or public transport). But we’ll see.

Old 01-20-2020, 05:38 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Olympic Park is very different to see, and you don't get humongous crowds.

Up in Canada Fundy NP is well worth seeing.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:25 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, great location to live if you like MTN parks. I grew up a horseback ride to RMNP and had a delivery driving job that sent me to Tetons and Black Hills 3x / week.. I often would hop on the motorcycle and blaze to Utah and Mesa Verde on a day or weekend off.

But... I moved to PNW, so still have 6 parks within easy reach from Lassen to Redwoods, Crater Lake, Mt Rainier, North Cascade, Olympic NP... Very lucky.

I now take a flight to LV and head to Utah parks or Joshua tree, and Death Valley. Good activity for a sun break.

2020 is a motorhome travel yr so my National Park pass will get a lot of use. I have always bought a season pass since age 16. Should have been grandfathered in after 30 or 40 yrs. I bought a few of the $10 lifetime passes and keep spares in a Safe-deposit box in case I ever lose mine.
StealthRabbit,

What a blessed life! Of those you've listed, I've only been to Black Hills, 2X. That's been at least 12-13 years ago and I still can recall it vividly! It was one of the highlights of my travels. I'm convinced if more people could/would experience the awesomeness of nature, our society would be so much better off.

Old 01-20-2020, 07:55 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
StealthRabbit,

.... I'm convinced if more people could/would experience the awesomeness of nature, our society would be so much better off.
I would like to see a rebirth of the CCC who built many of the great lodges and infrastructure we have been enjoying for nearly 100 years. 10 more years and most of the few remaining who know how to lay stone and build craftsmanship lodges will be dead.

There is a wealth of talented retirees who could pass on those skills. Then there will be none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel