Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 08:12 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Places that sell SIM cards will also install it on your phone when asked.
There were electronic kiosks, but I couldn't find any stands with an actual person that sold SIM cards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2020, 08:26 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
There were electronic kiosks, but I couldn't find any stands with an actual person that sold SIM cards.
Yes, I forgot about it. But people who don't know how or don't have the pin can go to any of the many Mobile, electronic or accessories kiosks to get the card installed.
Just REMEMBER to store your (removed) US SIM card in some secured place, you will need to swap it again after returning to the US.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:04 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I'm going to Europe this spring and also have AT&T. I have the option to add an International Day Pass for $10 per day. It basically just makes my full plan active with all my data while I'm in Europe and only charges me for the days I actually use it. No need to swap SIMs.
That option probably offers the most cost control of any international plan for US residents that I've heard of, thus far. That's great! Also given that most US residents can only take 2 weeks vacation at a time, you're not talking about any more than $150

Old 01-22-2020, 12:11 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
That option probably offers the most cost control of any international plan for US residents that I've heard of, thus far. That's great! Also given that most US residents can only take 2 weeks vacation at a time, you're not talking about any more than $150
And that's only if you use it all of those days. There are a number of days during my stay that I don't think I'll need it. So I just turn off the cellular and leave on the wifi on those days (to ensure that incoming calls/texts don't cause me to incur the fee for that day.

Old 01-22-2020, 12:14 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
If you want to make the tiny effort & actually swap your sim card the cost for 2 weeks, in Portugal anyway, is $15 Euro total. I'm an AT&T user here in the states as well, one's US ph# can be handled a few ways, one is the free app WhatsApp.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:14 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
My mother is in memory care with dementia and I’m the only contact point. I need my phone to ring if she gets ejected to the emergency room or other similar issues. I have Verizon Unlimited. I pay the $10/day to have my phone work like a phone. I might have it turned off for a couple of 24 hour intervals where I check voice mail using my Skype account over WiFi. I’m usually only out of the country for 10 to 12 days so I have a $100 extra charge on my cell phone bill. So be it. The price of having a parent with dementia.

I have Skype configured to present my cell phone CallerID so nobody can tell I’m not in the US using my phone. It’s pennies to make a several minute call. The $10 I pushed at Skype a decade ago when I was working for Asian companies for international calls still has maybe $5 left on it.

My girlfriend had something similar with AT&T. It’s the same $10/day. Her phone works as usual. It might be called Passport but I never needed to know.

If I were in Europe for many weeks, I’d bring a second phone and get a local SIM for it. I still want my phone with my Verizon SIM to take out of airplane mode to receive calls if something important is happening. I could probably get a Skype phone number and forward cell calls to that but I’ve never bothered to see if it’s possible.

Old 01-22-2020, 02:31 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My mother is in memory care with dementia and I’m the only contact point. I need my phone to ring if she gets ejected to the emergency room or other similar issues. I have Verizon Unlimited. I pay the $10/day to have my phone work like a phone. I might have it turned off for a couple of 24 hour intervals where I check voice mail using my Skype account over WiFi. I’m usually only out of the country for 10 to 12 days so I have a $100 extra charge on my cell phone bill. So be it. The price of having a parent with dementia.

I have Skype configured to present my cell phone CallerID so nobody can tell I’m not in the US using my phone. It’s pennies to make a several minute call. The $10 I pushed at Skype a decade ago when I was working for Asian companies for international calls still has maybe $5 left on it.

My girlfriend had something similar with AT&T. It’s the same $10/day. Her phone works as usual. It might be called Passport but I never needed to know.

If I were in Europe for many weeks, I’d bring a second phone and get a local SIM for it. I still want my phone with my Verizon SIM to take out of airplane mode to receive calls if something important is happening. I could probably get a Skype phone number and forward cell calls to that but I’ve never bothered to see if it’s possible.
So it's on Verizon, too. Wonderful! I'm so glad we have come this far since the days of $1/min and $1/MB.

Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
So it's on Verizon, too. Wonderful! I'm so glad we have come this far since the days of $1/min and $1/MB.
I don’t know what happens if you place calls since I use Skype but I’ve never seen a charge beyond the $10/day for incoming calls, sending or receiving texts, or moderate data usage. I try to do more intensive things like FaceTime and streaming video over WiFi. You can turn on the international $10/day feature on their web portal or call customer service.

I once got to a Heathrow airport hotel and nothing worked. None of my credit cards or my cell phone. I used Skype on my laptop over the hotel WiFi to straighten it out. I’d upgraded phones and it got amnesia about the international $10/day feature. My credit cards all shut down for fraud with an attempted U.K. hotel charge. My technology totally failed me. Lol

Old 01-25-2020, 12:50 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,071,154 times
I've used AT&T international trip plans for 2 different trips and their service was fantastic. I had seamless phone service immediately upon landing with no issues with connectivity during my stays. One stay was 3 weeks in 4 different countries and I had no issues in any of the countries. The first time I used it, I was in one specific country for 10 days and used the $10 per day option; I only used it for about 6 or 7 days of my stay. For the longer stay of 3 weeks, I paid for a 30 day plan which ran about $120. I would use it again. Personally, I can't be bothered doing the SIMS card switch.

I didn't do anything other than texting and using data. I didn't need to make or receive phone calls.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:06 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,691,847 times
I use my Verizon international plan. $10 a day is worth it to me and we usually hit several countries making the sim switch an annoyance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel