Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 05:30 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
NYC has been the cultural capital of the world since at least WW2. Far more important in terms of visual and performing arts. Paris actually hasn't had a vital arts scene in about a century. The days of Hemingway chilling with Picasso are long gone.
NYC is definitely on the same level as London as a cultural capital from my personal experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Israel... the Holy Land. It's rather small so compared to a city is not to far from the criteria.
I would say Jerusalem is a cultural capital in terms of history and religion.

I would venture to guess that Hong Kong as well as Shanghai are both cultural capitals of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 05:45 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Why Paris or London? Discuss your reasoning.
These cities have a high number and quality of attractions. Great architecture, great food, great museums, great music and all that stuff. Not just good or average.

You can immerse yourself in their culture for days without running out of things to see and do.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:38 AM

10,355 posts, read 7,988,269 times
The OP needs to define what he means by “culture.” Does he mean it in the sense of the arts (great museums, historic buildings, a wonderful performing arts and food scene) or does he mean it in the sense of a way of living that’s distinctly different from what the traveler usually experiences at home?

Old 01-25-2020, 07:09 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Why Paris or London? Discuss your reasoning.
I agree - not sure why London and Paris.

Paris is more famous for it's vast collection of fine art at the Louvre, whilst London is more famous for it's writers and theatres including West End Musicals.

Both cities have a lot of very good museums, and are only a couple of hours away from each ther via the eurostar train.

Washington DC has some good museums and archives, whilst NYC has a very good entertainment district and theatre, and Los Angeles is famous for being the centre of the film industry, as well as having a thriving cultural scene.

In terms of European cities obviously Rome, Madrid, Vienna, Athens, Istanbul, Moscow and posible the likes of Florence, Milan, Barcelona, etc.

In terms of beyomd Europe the likes of Shangha, Tokyo, Mexico City, Rio De Janeiro, Jerusalem etc have a lot of rich culture.

Old 01-25-2020, 08:52 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,684,176 times
Love the diversity an different cultures you find in NY.
Israel is a great place to visit and see where so much of it all started.
Greece, Italy and Japan would be very enriching as well. Not specific city's, but worth touring the country.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:20 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
And please discuss your reasons why.
Are you kidding? Just about everywhere.
Paris is basically a french speaking NYC. I know less about London, but its English speaking and as such has been more subject to more culutural imperialism by the USA.

My salient argument would be that large mega-cities around the world have more similarities than differences on the surface.

If you haven't been to an NYC or other world class city then your question makes more sense, I guess.

Old 01-25-2020, 09:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
Culture is kind of a loose term - it can mean history, art, diversity, food, street life.

My favorites:
Florence
Madrid
Siem Reap, including Angkor Wat
NYC
Amsterdam
Oaxaca
Kathmandu

Old 01-25-2020, 10:07 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
I've been to NYC, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Athens, Tokyo, Amsterdam...I think those are all pretty diverse and interesting places. I would visit any of them again, (and surely will).

But for relaxation, you can't beat a little rental cottage on the beach at Siesta Key, FL. Sometimes you just need to chill.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:13 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Rome, Istanbul, NYC are all on par with London or Paris. Different reasons for each, but they include great universities, museums, historical sights, architecture, food, theater, music, sports. Many people like shopping, and it is available at all.

Closely behind this group I would include Boston, Los Angeles, Washington DC and Toronto.

Old 01-25-2020, 10:18 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
Are you kidding? Just about everywhere.
Paris is basically a french speaking NYC. I know less about London, but its English speaking and as such has been more subject to more culutural imperialism by the USA.

My salient argument would be that large mega-cities around the world have more similarities than differences on the surface.

If you haven't been to an NYC or other world class city then your question makes more sense, I guess.
Culture of London - Wikipedia

Culture of Paris - Wikipedia

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel