Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 10:23 AM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times

Advertisements

Throw a dart at the map. Because almost anywhere would be more interesting. To me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2020, 11:28 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
NYC is definitely on the same level as London as a cultural capital from my personal experience.

I would say Jerusalem is a cultural capital in terms of history and religion.

I would venture to guess that Hong Kong as well as Shanghai are both cultural capitals of the world.
Well, Hong Kong and Shanghai are relatively new cities. 150 years ago, they were small villages. But it really depends on what you are looking for. History, no, but museums and art scenes, okay.

Personally I prefer older cities for cultural experience, like Beijing, Athens, Luxor, etc.

Old 01-25-2020, 11:59 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,716,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Rome, Istanbul, NYC are all on par with London or Paris. Different reasons for each, but they include great universities, museums, historical sights, architecture, food, theater, music, sports. Many people like shopping, and it is available at all.

Closely behind this group I would include Boston, Los Angeles, Washington DC and Toronto.
LA is definitely the world capital of the film industry. But I can enjoy films at home, no need to fly to LA.

Actually, the only reason I'm still willing to spend a couple of nights in LA is the food scene.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:19 AM

1,420 posts, read 755,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
But for relaxation, you can't beat a little rental cottage on the beach at Siesta Key, FL. Sometimes you just need to chill.
Best beach in the world. Literally.

Old 01-26-2020, 03:33 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
better cultural destinations than London or Paris

Well... as mentioned... that would be about anywhere EXCEPT Paris and London. (if you want a unique or diverse culture).

for BIG cities... Bangkok has a lot of unique and different cultures.

Singapore has many cultures, but all are required to align with British / English expectations and communication (So you need to get into people's homes to get to their national cultural roots).

Nairobi?

Rabat Morocco?

Istanbul?

Mumbai?

As mentioned... Jerusalem has a unique culture, and a bit of variety.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:23 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,269,032 times
It depends on what you mean by culture. There’s also the accessibility aspect.

In Prague, I had no problem getting good seats to the symphony on short notice at inexpensive prices. There are a lot of major cities where symphony, opera, ballet, and theater require making plans months in advance and spending big money on tickets. In the tourist saturated cities, you can get shut out of museums. It’s impossible to find a good restaurant on short notice.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:34 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
It's subjective, so I don't know how the word "literally" can be applied here.

Go tell someone who likes to surf that Siesta is the best beach in the world. They'd have to wait for a hurricane to catch a decent wave.

Old 01-26-2020, 05:48 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Well, Hong Kong and Shanghai are relatively new cities. 150 years ago, they were small villages. But it really depends on what you are looking for. History, no, but museums and art scenes, okay.
Shanghai has some very interesting 20th century history. There is a museum related to China's first president Sun Yat-sen and the former Jewish Quarter (from the around the WW2 era) with museum are also quite interesting. A good guide can tell one the history of the Peace Hotel as well as the Bund with its colonial buildings by the river. So I definitely think Shanghai is an interesting place to visit if one has an interest in modern history.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:14 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Shanghai has some very interesting 20th century history. There is a museum related to China's first president Sun Yat-sen and the former Jewish Quarter (from the around the WW2 era) with museum are also quite interesting. A good guide can tell one the history of the Peace Hotel as well as the Bund with its colonial buildings by the river. So I definitely think Shanghai is an interesting place to visit if one has an interest in modern history.
Yep, I really like Shanghai and agree with the other poster about Bangkok.

I lived in Nagasaki for two years. While people associate it with the bombing, it’s actually a really interesting city. It was the only city open to foreign trade in Japan for centuries and has a lot of Portuguese/Christian influence as well as Chinese influence, unlike many other places in Japan. I lived near a convent. It definitely has a different character than many other cities in Japan.

Old 01-26-2020, 06:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 4,694,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Not quite. Too built up around there now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel