Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2020, 09:08 PM

5,763 posts, read 11,370,882 times

Advertisements

I use my passport card frequently within the USA, anytime I am required to provide a picture ID (medical office, hotels, etc). Many of these places take a digital or photo copy and keep it on file. I prefer using my passport card because all it has is my name and photo. It doesn't contain my address or much other vital information that could be used for identity theft. The passport card is also valid ID for domestic air flights and for land border crossings from Mexico, which is just an hour south of Tucson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I do take the passport card on overseas trips and keep it stashed in a location different than where the passport book is stored. I figure that if my passport book is lost or stolen, the card should make it easier to get emergency travel documents to get home to get issued from a nearby US consulate or embassy

Old 02-12-2020, 11:49 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Here is a great info to determine which you should get for your needs:
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...port/card.html

Old 02-12-2020, 12:18 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It was only a few bucks extra the last time I renewed my passport. Why not?

$65 for 1st time card, $30 for mail renewal. That's like my son asking me to buy this video game since it only cost a few bucks, turned out to be $29.99.

We use Global Entry cards to re-enter the US from Canada, much faster.

Old 02-12-2020, 12:53 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
A US passport trumps any state-issued drivers license.

You can use a US passport to enter any state, 'cept maybe Texas.
To "enter any state"? What is this, East Germany?

Old 02-12-2020, 02:01 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
I got my sons both. THe oldest is 20 now but does not drive and the youngest is 17 and does not drive. Those cards are useful in navigating airports. We do fly alot together, but when we arrive at our location, they do not drive.

Makes for good ID although my oldest did get a state issued ID card with a star on it, but he does not have driving privileges with it UNLESS there is a sober adult next to him, and when I know he is going to drive, I would drink so there again, he does not drive.

The younger one never drives, but he is good with a video camera and an alto trombone. But not while Driving.

Point is, get both. You can use the card to zip in and out of Mexico when you go down for the bullet dodging competition on Wide World of Sorts..... You can also use it to go across to Canada to get weed but do not bring it back into the US , especially if you have kids who drive.

Old 02-12-2020, 05:10 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I think that may have been a not-so-subtle dig at the state of Texas.
I laughed. But I also remember telling a bank official that as far as I knew, California was still a part of the USA, and a Pennsylvania cashiers check should be accepted here.

Third bank was the charm, so much so, I ended up working there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel