Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 05:03 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,855,614 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, so here is my dilemma my wife and I are going to Aruba in April and our phones will not work there (cricket wireless).
So I am planning to bring a spare phone and buy a sim card there with the local providers.
Has anyone here done this before? How does this work? Is there a better idea?
It's only for emergency use really, just to keep in contact with family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 05:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Hello everyone, so here is my dilemma my wife and I are going to Aruba in April and our phones will not work there (cricket wireless).
So I am planning to bring a spare phone and buy a sim card there with the local providers.
Has anyone here done this before? How does this work? Is there a better idea?
It's only for emergency use really, just to keep in contact with family.
Download WhatsApp and communicate that way using the resorts WiFi and hotspots you’ll find around the island. You can text and make phone calls using WiFi.

If you choose to bring a phone you have to make sure it’s unlocked.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:32 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Check with your wireless provider to see what international plans they have. I know for the AT&T International Day Pass, it's $10/day and you're only charged for the days you actually use your phone ("You’ll be charged a $10 daily fee for each 24-hour period you use it. Each period begins as soon as you accept or make a call, listen to a voicemail, send a text, or use your data while abroad").

That saves the hassle of buying a phone and a SIM card, and might end up being cheaper. And you can avoid having to make sure your family has a new phone number.

Old 02-13-2020, 06:57 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
We have TMobile and have had coverage in Aruba and every other country we have visited. To be honest, I've never called anyone while abroad and I wouldnt go through hoops just for "emergency call" use. Of course if there are extenuating circumstances, that changes things.

As said, WhatsApp even Facebook messenger or similar is a good alternative just to keep in contact.

Old 02-13-2020, 07:29 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
If you go the WhatsApp/Wifi route, just be sure to turn off your wireless signal.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Download WhatsApp and communicate that way using the resorts WiFi and hotspots you’ll find around the island. You can text and make phone calls using WiFi.

This. (or better yet, let being connected to for a week.)

Old 02-15-2020, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

I'm not a big fan of free wifi for security reasons.
but I may look into whatsapp anyway.

Last edited by roadrat; 02-15-2020 at 04:27 AM..

Old 02-15-2020, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Check with your wireless provider to see what international plans they have. I know for the AT&T International Day Pass, it's $10/day and you're only charged for the days you actually use your phone ("You’ll be charged a $10 daily fee for each 24-hour period you use it. Each period begins as soon as you accept or make a call, listen to a voicemail, send a text, or use your data while abroad").

That saves the hassle of buying a phone and a SIM card, and might end up being cheaper. And you can avoid having to make sure your family has a new phone number.
I've got cricket wireless, no international plan for Aruba.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
This. (or better yet, let being connected to for a week.)
I would love to just go dark for a week but seeing that we are leaving our 17yo in charge of the house and the wifes mother is 85 with health problems, that's just not gonna happen.
Happy wife, Happy life indeed!

A little more research says that for $25+/- I can get an old unlocked phone a sim card down there for a week.
i'm just going to let the kid know what the number is and maybe check in every couple of days.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:51 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
We have TMobile and have had coverage in Aruba and every other country we have visited. To be honest, I've never called anyone while abroad and I wouldnt go through hoops just for "emergency call" use. Of course if there are extenuating circumstances, that changes things.

As said, WhatsApp even Facebook messenger or similar is a good alternative just to keep in contact.
It's not exactly "going through hoops" to buy a super-cheap burner phone, take 10 minutes and 5 bucks to buy a sim card and some time at the airport, to make sure you're covered in case of emergency. When you're lost, being robbed, whatever, and there's no wifi around to play with WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger (or Google Maps), you're going to regret not spending the 10 minutes and 5 bucks. And if nothing happens... it's still only 10 minutes and 5 bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel