Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2020, 08:55 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times

Advertisements

Here's my travel situation in a nutshell. Since October 2018, been planning & making installment payments to go to the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. My money went to 3 different companies to make this trip possible:

1) CoSport - bought sporting tickets from

2) American Airlines, but bought through 3rd party vendor & NOT AA.

3) BucketList Events - Main money went to for hotel & experience, transportation to/from hotel, 1/2 day Tokyo excursion tour, etc.

I have insurance for the airfare & very recently got it for the main bulk of the trip cost because they said to wait because they were still working on getting excursion info out, which just came out just a few mos ago. ONLY reason for the sports tickets purchase.

BucketList Events said they'll do to the best they can w/ getting out money back, but they have to "get their money back for all the vendors/suppliers who've been paid by them FIRST".

I see a whole lot of people filing lawsuits if they don't get back their money or hardly anything back. I want more of a refund back than a little 10-30% IF the Olympics is canceled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2020, 09:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
The reason most insurers do not cover things like wars and pandemics is because the effects are so extensive and widespread that it is simply way beyond their resources to cover. You can file all the lawsuits you want. They can't refund you what they don't have.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:55 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The reason most insurers do not cover things like wars and pandemics is because the effects are so extensive and widespread that it is simply way beyond their resources to cover. You can file all the lawsuits you want. They can't refund you what they don't have.
RE: the part I bolded, my So doesn't believe that. He said they just got money from US that we paid, so they should be able to give something back. He said the money doesn't disappear the moment we give it to them & that all they've done so far is paid their employees/manpower.

Plus, I'm sure all these travel companies really padded their costs to make a good profit.

Old 03-18-2020, 12:18 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,205,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
RE: the part I bolded, my So doesn't believe that. He said they just got money from US that we paid, so they should be able to give something back. He said the money doesn't disappear the moment we give it to them & that all they've done so far is paid their employees/manpower.

Plus, I'm sure all these travel companies really padded their costs to make a good profit.

The money goes immediately into a pool from which it would be equally available for refunds to all customers. Besides, you're talking about now and there willbe no refunds unless Olympics are canceled which could be awhile from now.

But good luck.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:37 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
I work the tourism industry. Hotels are diligent in looking at the big picture. Best to waive the fees and gain trust for future times. Then lose their loyalty . Loyalty is a costly thing to lose.

Catastrophic events happen. the travel insurance sure seems wise. I find it a red herring if they aren't going to pony up to the holder. My car insurance pays up for coverage. Unsure the point of insurance if they are banking on no claims.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:35 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
What about if your insurance only covers illness with a doctor's letter or quarantine? Is a pandemic when you are urged to remain isolated the same as an actual quarantine?

Old 03-19-2020, 11:35 AM

5,147 posts, read 3,078,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post

Insurance companies usually buy insurance themselves to cover exigencies and odd stuff, but yes, there are limits to what they can pay out and stay solvent. Sometimes there is no backstop. Back in 2009 the U.S. Treasury had to bail out AIG who had sold bond insurance to large financial institutions. When all the policy holders tried to collect, AIG was instantly insolvent and it threatened to topple the entire financial system.

Old 03-21-2020, 03:46 PM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
What about if your insurance only covers illness with a doctor's letter or quarantine? Is a pandemic when you are urged to remain isolated the same as an actual quarantine?
Good questions, wish I had answers. I have travel insurance also, not sure if I should try for a DR. note or wait for the airline to possible cancel, I'm still booked for Aruba on april 14, as of right now Aruba is locked down until the march 31 if they extend it thru april im hoping jetblue will have to cancel the flight and reimburse me. I could cancel right now and get a credit but I honestly don't know if Jetblue will survive, if they go chap.11 I would think the credit would be worthless.
I booked the whole trip thru Jetblue vacations, flight, hotel, rental car.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Good questions, wish I had answers. I have travel insurance also, not sure if I should try for a DR. note or wait for the airline to possible cancel, I'm still booked for Aruba on april 14, as of right now Aruba is locked down until the march 31 if they extend it thru april im hoping jetblue will have to cancel the flight and reimburse me. I could cancel right now and get a credit but I honestly don't know if Jetblue will survive, if they go chap.11 I would think the credit would be worthless.
I booked the whole trip thru Jetblue vacations, flight, hotel, rental car.
It's crazy. Mine is similar--low cost airline that could go bankrupt. I think if they go out of business insurance doesn't reimburse because the airline doesn't exist anymore and a credit would be worthless. However, that doesn't make complete sense. I have a round trip to London on Norwegian Airlines. They may not cancel since this is a popular route. Husband is having medical issues so probably he can get the dr to write a letter. It would be easier if I could determine whether or not this social isolation and that we are urged not to fly unless necessary due to the virus is equal to a quarantine! Is this quarantine??????

I've been reading and it might be worth it to try to get your money back through your credit card. I don't know where to start, credit card or the travel insurance but I keep reading that it's best to wait. I wish I could offer some advice to you but that's all I know.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:47 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,856,260 times
Quote:
It's crazy. Mine is similar--low cost airline that could go bankrupt. I think if they go out of business insurance doesn't reimburse because the airline doesn't exist anymore and a credit would be worthless. However, that doesn't make complete sense. I have a round trip to London on Norwegian Airlines. They may not cancel since this is a popular route. Husband is having medical issues so probably he can get the dr to write a letter. It would be easier if I could determine whether or not this social isolation and that we are urged not to fly unless necessary due to the virus is equal to a quarantine! Is this quarantine??????

I've been reading and it might be worth it to try to get your money back through your credit card. I don't know where to start, credit card or the travel insurance but I keep reading that it's best to wait. I wish I could offer some advice to you but that's all I know.
In your case if your spouse is having med issues I would get the DR. note and file the insurance, check your policy but I think if either spouse is sick both can cancel and get a reimbursement.

I am going to wait until April and see if Aruba extends the travel ban then make a decision, as much as I would hate to lose the money it's not going to break the bank, the Wife and I have already build our Vacation account back up.
It's been a good year for a plow driver in Maine, plenty of overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel